New Hi-Tech Rimless 20 Long - *Dutch-ish / Iwagumi* +20L Reef dual setup - Page 7
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-03-2014, 12:14 AM   #91
jcgilmore2
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone View Post
That's too sick bro! Where do you find the time for both set ups!?

Haha, thanks man.

They started out a bunch of work, but not so much now. The reef pretty much sustains itself. Just gotta top it off once a week. The planted tank is a little work but I just knock it out on Sundays usually... Trim, replant, clean glass with a filter pad, try to get the substrate off the sand, then siphon two 5 gallon buckets and fill back ... about it haha.

I enjoy the work to an extent though lol

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=582193

“We are star stuff which has taken its destiny into its own hands.” ― Carl Sagan
jcgilmore2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2014, 01:03 AM   #92
ICPjuggla
Algae Grower

Wow, awesome set up... :-)
Old 05-04-2014, 09:39 PM   #93
EwDeg
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

This is insanely awesome! Good job man. Wish my skills were this good.

20H Community
10g Red Rili

Winner of the Infamous Never-ending RAK of 2014!
EwDeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:47 AM   #94
jcgilmore2
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICPjuggla View Post
Wow, awesome set up... :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EwDeg View Post
This is insanely awesome! Good job man. Wish my skills were this good.
Haha, thanks a lot!

We're all our own worst critics... Don't beat yourself up lol. I don't think this tank is amazing, just finally have one I'm somewhat happy with... But I've had a lot of tanks lol. Learn something new on each one. I'm finally learning to plan and take things slow.

Thanks though! Means a lot.

Happy tanking.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

“We are star stuff which has taken its destiny into its own hands.” ― Carl Sagan
Old 05-12-2014, 02:12 AM   #95
jcgilmore2
Planted Member

Stuff is starting to grow in nice know. Been trimming a lot, replanting tops, etc... Been trying to maintain a small dutch-like scape... small areas of plants and stark contrasts. We will see how it goes. Rotala sp green is starting to get dense and grow nice now, so I will continue to expand the "bushes" of it around the tank a bit more in clean trimmed areas. Also, starting to trim and attach the riccia to a bit... Going to get some more nice super bright green areas of it around the tank.

Got some new plants from Ebi... Mini Pellia on the wood, Ludwigia Senegalensis and UG. UG took a minute to take hold but I think it has now and its going to start spreading soon. Lud Sen is growing nicely and coloring up, Ill propagate it soon.

Soo... Here ya go.

Few plant close ups

Old 05-12-2014, 02:33 PM   #96
Chris_Produces
Planted Tank Obsessed

Do you ever have algae come up on the older leaves of the Ludwigia Ruben? I had tried some of this but can't seem to keep algae at bay on the older growths.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:04 PM   #97
jcgilmore2
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Produces View Post
Do you ever have algae come up on the older leaves of the Ludwigia Ruben? I had tried some of this but can't seem to keep algae at bay on the older growths.

Not yet but I've had that happen with other plants... I trim and replant almost weekly with it, so might not have the chance to develop it. Perks of having such a short tank I guess haha. It grows pretty fast for me, seems to like RO water more than tap in my experience so far.

Old 05-12-2014, 05:04 PM   #98
Asu1776
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (32/100%)

Every time I check back on this thread, I build up a little more incentive and motivation to set up a reef tank myself. I really like the contrast of the FW planted vs SW reef. I've always wanted to venture into SW but ignorantly told myself that it was more expensive, difficult, and required lots of maintenance. However, you said that the SW tank sustains itself? What's the maintenance like? The reason I ask, is I can feel the labor of love of trimming the plants, cleaning the filter, tubes, pipes, water change, siphoning poop, and wiping algae off the glass in a FW tank, so if the SW is actually better maintenance wise....I might just pull the darn trigger!
Asu1776 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:54 PM   #99
jcgilmore2
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asu1776 View Post
Every time I check back on this thread, I build up a little more incentive and motivation to set up a reef tank myself. I really like the contrast of the FW planted vs SW reef. I've always wanted to venture into SW but ignorantly told myself that it was more expensive, difficult, and required lots of maintenance. However, you said that the SW tank sustains itself? What's the maintenance like? The reason I ask, is I can feel the labor of love of trimming the plants, cleaning the filter, tubes, pipes, water change, siphoning poop, and wiping algae off the glass in a FW tank, so if the SW is actually better maintenance wise....I might just pull the darn trigger!

I'd say I do 3-4x more work on my FW than my SW. But hasn't always been the case (like in the first month or two of the reef) All I do in my SW tank is dump in RO water once a week when it evaporates and vacuum. Vacuum is super easy since its bare bottom... I just cut a 2 liter and stuffed it with filter media and I sit it in the sump and siphon water from the tank into it, which filters out all the poo and debris and returns that water into the sump which goes back to the tank... so no WCs required to do this. Wipe down the glass once a week with the magfloat too. Thats about it.

I call it a budget reef, lol. I got by doing things a lot cheaper than most people do. Cheap skimmer (sca301 - works amazing) got an old used wet/dry and pump for filtration for 25$, cheap tank since its just normal 20L with rim removed, got a steal on the PAR38 at 37$ on ebay and built my other fixture for under 50$. The live rock and coral were the most expensive thing, but perks of a tank this small is you dont need as much. I've never sat down and added it up, but broken down over time it wasnt too bad. You can EASILY spend as much as I did doing a larger FW planted by the time you buy hundreds and hundreds of dollars in substrate, ADA stones and rare plants and mosses.

Not saying SW is cheap, but I didn't go all out and get all this insanely priced stuff like some do. Every tank is different though, just gotta convince yourself to take that leap.

Words of advice - When you think you have a big enough filter - go bigger ( mines rated for a 125g tank), RO water is an absolute must, get a protein skimmer, get good quality live rock and plenty of it to start out with (do not get dry base rock or you will end up regretting it like my gf did in her tank covered in hair algae) and dont get many fish.

Good luck if you take the leap! I love both.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:16 PM   #100
Asu1776
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (32/100%)

Thanks for the information and advice!!
Asu1776 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:09 AM   #101
jcgilmore2
Planted Member

Default few new pics, new sand.

So, decided to get rid of the super fine sand... BGA seemed to love it. Now it hasnt been seen in the 4 or so days since I swapped it out. Everything seems to be going great as of now.

Some shots..

Old 05-16-2014, 06:56 AM   #102
theericafish
Planted Member

Tanks still looking awesome. The low substrate and the equipment being hidden but still in the open.. I dig it.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:47 PM   #103
exv152
Wannabe Guru

Great tank, like all the pearling on the riccia. I love the rock formation, I know you were mentioning removing it, but I wouldn't. Awesome job!
7g cube
33g iwagumi cube
75g low tech angelfish tank
exv152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:30 AM   #104
Calbears
Algae Grower

Amazing
Old 05-21-2014, 12:03 AM   #105
jcgilmore2
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theericafish View Post
Tanks still looking awesome. The low substrate and the equipment being hidden but still in the open.. I dig it.

appreciate the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exv152 View Post
Great tank, like all the pearling on the riccia. I love the rock formation, I know you were mentioning removing it, but I wouldn't. Awesome job!
I actually just ended up moving at a bit and gained a lot more room for stems. About to post update now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calbears View Post
Amazing

Thank you! =)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk