75g Planted Beginner Setup - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-14-2014, 03:49 PM   #16
MadRiverPat
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

A few local microbrews have become an essential part of my aquascaping regime. I really like the new look of the tank. Seems like you are due for some more plants too. We are all always still learning about aquascaping but I've found like most things that practice is the key to success.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:58 PM   #17
herefishyfishyfishy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Shoutout to my local micro - Upland Brewery here in Indiana!

Thanks for the good feels. I like the new layout a lot.

A lot of people say "you need more" but I dont know what... I was thinking maybe some micro swords there to the left and something red in the log pile...
herefishyfishyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:07 AM   #18
herefishyfishyfishy
Algae Grower

Quick picture update. Added another canister (Fluval 306), fish seem to be doing great! Minimal maintenance right now!

Old 06-09-2014, 03:10 PM   #19
herefishyfishyfishy
Algae Grower

Default 3 Month Update!

The tank is progressing nicely. There have been a few deaths over the bast few months, but usually due to my mistakes that I am learning from! Some of those mistakes are bad fish sourcing, not quarantining, and incompatibility.

Current Set Up -

Fluval 306 and Marineland C360 canisters.
No dosing
Same lights
Same heaters
Sand and River Rock substrate (very happy with that)

Flora:
Amazon Swords
Java Fern
Assorted Anubias
Ozelot Sword
Vallisneria Spiralis

Fauna:
11 Bosemanis (these little guys are RESILIENT! And all of them have grown)
3 Flame Dwarf Gouramis
3 SAEs
2 Mickey Mouse Platys
1 Red Platy
1 Striped Raphael
1 Upside down catfish
20 or so nerita snails
1 Red Lobster
1 Thomasi Pleco (L-187b)
3 False Julii Cory Cat

Here is a current pic:
Old 06-09-2014, 03:23 PM   #20
tharsis
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Nice tank! The rainbows look really happy with lots of room to dart around in.

Do you have a pic of the lobster? I am curious about him, does he try to catch the fish? Does he eat the plants at all?

Do you have the actinic lights on in the last few pics? I would expect the tank to be alot more blue.

As for additions, you should try for some stem plants, they are really great for filling in gaps in the aquascape. You could try easy stems like wisteria or rotala rotundifolia. You could also try some Alternanthera Reinecki to give a bit of red flash.

Also, cheers to upland brewery! I lived in Bloomington for 5 years and that was my beer of choice while there.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:29 PM   #21
herefishyfishyfishy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharsis View Post
Nice tank! The rainbows look really happy with lots of room to dart around in.

Do you have a pic of the lobster? I am curious about him, does he try to catch the fish? Does he eat the plants at all?

Do you have the actinic lights on in the last few pics? I would expect the tank to be alot more blue.

As for additions, you should try for some stem plants, they are really great for filling in gaps in the aquascape. You could try easy stems like wisteria or rotala rotundifolia. You could also try some Alternanthera Reinecki to give a bit of red flash.

Also, cheers to upland brewery! I lived in Bloomington for 5 years and that was my beer of choice while there.
Thanks! It has been a lot of fun!

I will try to get a pic of the lobster but so far he has been pretty skittish. He has been in there for a week or so and mostly hides under the slabs of slate. I havent seen him attack anyone, and he often is right next to the raphael. No plant damage to speak of either, but my substrate has been a bit cleaner than normal, so i am attributing that to him.

No actinics, just hadnt turned off my moon lights yet. I've always heard no actinics in planted tanks, save them for the reef...

I will take a look at those plants. Although my fav are the Vals. I often think about pulling everything else out and letting them take over the whole tank... All of the fish seem to love them!

Between Upland and Sun King, I stay pretty hydrated!
Old 06-09-2014, 03:56 PM   #22
180g
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefishyfishyfishy View Post
Thanks! It has been a lot of fun!

I will try to get a pic of the lobster but so far he has been pretty skittish. He has been in there for a week or so and mostly hides under the slabs of slate. I havent seen him attack anyone, and he often is right next to the raphael. No plant damage to speak of either, but my substrate has been a bit cleaner than normal, so i am attributing that to him.

No actinics, just hadnt turned off my moon lights yet. I've always heard no actinics in planted tanks, save them for the reef...

I will take a look at those plants. Although my fav are the Vals. I often think about pulling everything else out and letting them take over the whole tank... All of the fish seem to love them!

Between Upland and Sun King, I stay pretty hydrated!
yea that's the same with my crayfish. he likes to make little dens under things. now that I have a crayfish I know why they call them the roaches of the river.
(I'm 13 )
180g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:22 PM   #23
tharsis
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

If you like the grassy style, you could also try some dwarf sagittaria, that would give you some nice contrast in height, you could use that as a foreground to lead into the vals.

Blyxa would work too.