Tyler's 12 Long Reinvented - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-06-2014, 04:26 AM   #31
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Here's my game plan!

Treating Hair Algae
1. Dose excel regularly to help stabilize co2
2. Reduced light to 7 hour photoperiod daily
3. Manually removed with toothbrush
4. Spot treat with H202 in a spray bottle not to exceed 3ml per gallon
5. EI Dose religiously
6. Increase pressurized co2
tylergvolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2014, 04:28 AM   #32
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Does your Sat come with a dimmer?

The underlying cause is most likely too much light.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:51 AM   #33
Aquascape Depot
Sponsor

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post

The Satellite + can adjust it's lighting. I know one of our tanks is prone to hair algae just from too much PAR. (8" height from substrate with only 5 hours photoperiod). I believe it's on Rose Pink Setting (check out GuitarFish's PAR readings for more info)

Chat with us @ our Sponsored Forum
Aquascape Depot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:11 PM   #34
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post

The Satalite+ does have a built in dimmer. How convenient! I was afraid someone would problem=to much light lol... I've kept the light on white and red however the fixture has many settings. Which setting would be better and not promote hair algae? The fixture will do just about any color I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquascape Depot View Post
The Satellite + can adjust it's lighting. I know one of our tanks is prone to hair algae just from too much PAR. (8" height from substrate with only 5 hours photoperiod). I believe it's on Rose Pink Setting (check out GuitarFish's PAR readings for more info)
WOW! What a great link! Thanks you very much for the link. I have been looking for a good Satellite+ PAR resource just like this. I need to change the light spectrum in addition to the other item in my game plan. This was VERY helpful!

Last edited by tylergvolk; 05-06-2014 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: Added content
Old 05-11-2014, 11:16 PM   #35
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

Today, I did a 50% water change. During the water change, I drained the tank and sprayed down the rocks, algae, HC, and equipment with H202. Let it sit for several minutes and then filled. I accidentally uprooted a huge portion of the HC in front of the main rock. Big bummer. I packed it back down but now my substrate line is now crooked. Off the the LFS I went.

I added 8 Ember Tetra.

There small size is perfect; however, the ember color is washed out due to the stress of moving. I hope there ember color becomes more pronounced once they settle in.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:00 PM   #36
Agent69
Planted Tank Obsessed

Is it me or is that carpet starting to look yellow? I would be careful dosing h2o2 and excel daily. I tried algaefix on my 38 gallon tank and got rid of hair algae on my dwarf hairgrass

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Agent69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:14 AM   #37
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent69 View Post
Is it me or is that carpet starting to look yellow? I would be careful dosing h2o2 and excel daily. I tried algaefix on my 38 gallon tank and got rid of hair algae on my dwarf hairgrass

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Dually noted sir. Thank you.

The picture makes it look more yellow than it really is; furthermore, the carpet could be a lot better! The algae has now turned pink which means it's dying off. I've actually turned the co2 down to about 1bps due to the Embers struggling for air during acclimation.

Also, I'm decreasing my excel dosage to the daily recommended amount.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:00 AM   #38
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

New EI Dosing Schedule-

Sunday: Water Change; Macro
Monday: Micro
Tuesday: Macro
Wednesday: Micro
Thursday: Macro
Friday: Micro
Saturday: Rest

I've recently learned, from very helpful TPT members, that the above schedule is much better than not dosing, doing a water change, and resting all on the same day. By not dosing, water change, and resting on the same day, I starve the plants on Sunday.

I've also learned I need to fine tune my tank maintenance skills and increase my o2 levels in order to turn up co2 and lights.

Time to make it happen.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:53 AM   #39
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

The algae has stopped. Thank god! Most of it had turned pink and is dying off.

I found some a Ember Tetras at a Betta Shop that we're much more colorful than the ones I previously purchased. See pictures. After some research, I've learned that certain species of ET are pale. Not sure how true that is... Other research said that it depends on your water parameters. Not sure how true that is either...

In any event, I'm going yo be looking for more ET's that are colorful!

They look great don't they?

Old 05-21-2014, 01:04 AM   #40
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

The HC is looking pretty pathetic at the moment. It's melting away. I found my nitrates to be sky high and corrected that. The HC is yellow and the ramhorns have multiplied and are feasting on my carpet.

I've been slowly increasing the light.

Currently, I'm at 9 hour photo period and full spectrum with the sat+
Old 05-21-2014, 03:24 AM   #41
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

Great, now I've spotted more blue green algae...
Old 05-21-2014, 04:15 AM   #42
tenthe
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I know how you feel. I also have a 12 long with a Sat+ and did a dry start to grow a carpet of HC. Mine yellowed, thinned and died out in the months after submerging.

I was waiting for it to bounce back, since my other plants were doing very well. Unfortunately, after three months, there was no sign of a recovery and far too much rotting plant matter at the bottom of the carpet to ignore. I decided to pull it all up and start over. Hopefully yours doesn't get to that point.

My new HC is doing much better after making some adjustments. Here's what I've changed:

I put a powerhead (Hydor Evo-Mag 180) at the far end of the tank to push water toward the filter intake. That half of the tank was pretty much stagnant. I think the low circulation was the main thing that killed my carpet.

I increased the CO2. I've been slowly dialing it up beyond lime green on the drop checker. I'm trying to find out what is the highest concentration the fish can tolerate.

I'm also cleaning the tank as frequently as I can now to remove dead plants and algae. Cleaning the filter and powerhead helps keep circulation up and checking to make sure the reactor doesn't need to be bled keeps the CO2 consistent.

I upped the light to 10 hours, and put the Sat+ on its brightest setting. I think the sudden drop from 14 hours/day while dry starting to 6 hours after flooding was a bit of a shock for the the HC. Even with a 10 hour photoperiod, I have no BGA or hair algae, whereas before I had quite a bit. I'm attributing the lack of BGA and hair algae to the increased circulation.

Anyways, I hope some of this might be useful. You have a great looking tank, best of luck getting the carpet to thrive.
tenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:46 AM   #43
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthe View Post
I know how you feel. I also have a 12 long with a Sat+ and did a dry start to grow a carpet of HC. Mine yellowed, thinned and died out in the months after submerging.

I was waiting for it to bounce back, since my other plants were doing very well. Unfortunately, after three months, there was no sign of a recovery and far too much rotting plant matter at the bottom of the carpet to ignore. I decided to pull it all up and start over. Hopefully yours doesn't get to that point.

My new HC is doing much better after making some adjustments. Here's what I've changed:

I put a powerhead (Hydor Evo-Mag 180) at the far end of the tank to push water toward the filter intake. That half of the tank was pretty much stagnant. I think the low circulation was the main thing that killed my carpet.

I increased the CO2. I've been slowly dialing it up beyond lime green on the drop checker. I'm trying to find out what is the highest concentration the fish can tolerate.

I'm also cleaning the tank as frequently as I can now to remove dead plants and algae. Cleaning the filter and powerhead helps keep circulation up and checking to make sure the reactor doesn't need to be bled keeps the CO2 consistent.

I upped the light to 10 hours, and put the Sat+ on its brightest setting. I think the sudden drop from 14 hours/day while dry starting to 6 hours after flooding was a bit of a shock for the the HC. Even with a 10 hour photoperiod, I have no BGA or hair algae, whereas before I had quite a bit. I'm attributing the lack of BGA and hair algae to the increased circulation.

Anyways, I hope some of this might be useful. You have a great looking tank, best of luck getting the carpet to thrive.
At least I'm not the only one... I'm pretty bummed out because I really tried to put my best foot forward on this one and I'm really struggling now. I appreciate your input/advice.

I'm wondering which filter your using in your setup. I'm using an Eheim 2217 and the flow is great. I don't think flow is a problem for me. I think my problem is a combination of things noted in previous posts of this journal; however, I'm starting to wonder if my substrate is the main culprit.

I think I'm going to do a major water change, cleaning, and trim tomorrow, as a last attempt to bounce back. Wish me luck.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:10 AM   #44
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

I took out all the fish and transported them into my 20L. I did a MAJOR trim/cleaning. I did x5 100% water changes to get all the mulm and Floating HC out of this tank. After the filter ran for a few hours, I cleaned that out as well. After I was all done, I lightly sprinkled some more substrate over the top of all the HC. This took a really long time by the way...

At this point, I'm not really sure what to do and I don't even know if this aquarium is worthy trying to save. It's looking like a barren wasteland right now.

The plan:

1. Increase co2 till the checker is yellow!
2. EI dose
3. Photoperiod 8-10 hours
4. Cross my fingers and hope for the best...

Old 05-23-2014, 01:20 AM   #45
yellabelly
Algae Grower

Default just that time.

As I have read thousands of the journals in the past few months ive come to realize that the life of carpeting plants is a short one. I have tried carpeting DHG with no luck as I jumped in head first before researching anything. Since then I have found little to none lasting more than a few months. Please someone prove me wrong. After 3 months of slow growth with some improper equip, my DHG just slowly melted away no matter what I did. This includes ALL new equip, changing photo periods, increasing co2, etc... However, I picked up a new small pot of dhg and it's doing great in the last few days in comparison to the originals. Just my thoughts... these carpeting plants are similar to some typical weeds found in turf grass. They reproduce like crazy but then slowly die off only to reappear weeks/a month later. Which if in a tank, we would surely rip it out and start over by then. Just time to try something new and thats ALWAYS exciting. With that badas$ setup and equip all you need is plants and their the cheapest part. Good luck my friend!
yellabelly is offline   Reply With Quote