My first tank! 5 gallon (56k warning) - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-08-2014, 08:54 AM   #31
burr740
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Excellente! Now that's figured out be sure to keep the pics coming..

Old 05-09-2014, 12:27 AM   #32
CluelessAquarist
Planted Member

I added another little rock today and did a 50% WC after I got some oily looking film on top of the water which I assume was from the rock. I guess I didn't scrub it long enough. Here the tank was in mid WC

And here it is post WC. The water I took out of there had a yellowish tint...Which I find weird seeing as I don't have any wood in there.

Plants seem to be alive and no sign of algae so far.. Hope to pick up some more plants soon
CluelessAquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:22 PM   #33
CluelessAquarist
Planted Member

So quick question.... So many people have the back of the tank so much higher with substrate. But I keep hearing deep substrate is bad on your plants?? It makes carbon monoxide or some other toxic gas??
Old 05-10-2014, 06:34 AM   #34
mistuhmarc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CluelessAquarist View Post
I added another little rock today and did a 50% WC after I got some oily looking film on top of the water which I assume was from the rock. I guess I didn't scrub it long enough. Here the tank was in mid WC

And here it is post WC. The water I took out of there had a yellowish tint...Which I find weird seeing as I don't have any wood in there.

Plants seem to be alive and no sign of algae so far.. Hope to pick up some more plants soon
That oily looking film you're speaking off on the top of your tank is surface film, which can come from several different sources, including oils coming from your skin. It basically will appear at the top of your tank, and when viewed from below, will look rainbow-y in apperance. To remove it, you need surface agitation, or break the water surface with something. I use a mod to my lily pipe to remove surface skum.

The yellowish tint you're speaking of might likely be from your soil. It will eventually leech out and cause coloration of your water.
mistuhmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #35
CluelessAquarist
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistuhmarc View Post
That oily looking film you're speaking off on the top of your tank is surface film, which can come from several different sources, including oils coming from your skin. It basically will appear at the top of your tank, and when viewed from below, will look rainbow-y in apperance. To remove it, you need surface agitation, or break the water surface with something. I use a mod to my lily pipe to remove surface skum.

The yellowish tint you're speaking of might likely be from your soil. It will eventually leech out and cause coloration of your water.
I'm interested in using a small filter that has a spraybar like you said. Any recommendations? I like the idea of the flow being distributed across more of the surface plus the fact that it will kill my surface film. I also am going to buy some pool filter sand and redo this tank with it because play sand is WAY too light for my uses.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:08 PM   #36
mistuhmarc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm interested in using a small filter that has a spraybar like you said. Any recommendations? I like the idea of the flow being distributed across more of the surface plus the fact that it will kill my surface film. I also am going to buy some pool filter sand and redo this tank with it because play sand is WAY too light for my uses.
Try to look into the small canister filters. There's a few out there that are lead nano canisters. I have a zoomed 501 nano canister on my 5 gallon and it's been doing good. You'll have to cut the intake down to size though, and it comes with a spray bar. There's also a canister from finnex. Both are around 30-50$. If you don't want to get a canister, HOB filters still do well, the loads of flow from them are still good.

Keep in mind that there will always be some form of surface film, even if you've been keeping the surface agitated. Mine always comes back after I've removed it.

Pool filter sand will do well.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:11 PM   #37
Aurie
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

I have an aquaclear 20 on my 5.5 and an eheim 2213 on my mini m and the 2213 is way too powerful. I have to have it dialed back. I was going to go with an eheim 2211 but the 2213 was only a couple bucks more. I had to cut the spray bar but it seems to do ok and all of my 3 eheim are dead quiet. My aquaclear needs to be lubed every once and a while on the impeller with Vaseline but it does ok.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:31 PM   #38
CluelessAquarist
Planted Member

Another filter I've been considering is the azoo palm filter. Mainly because it's only $7. Have either of you used this? And thank you for the feedback its really helping me out. I'm a little bummed to have to redo the substrate but its for the better.

Last edited by CluelessAquarist; 05-10-2014 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: Didn't proofread...
Old 05-10-2014, 10:38 PM   #39
CluelessAquarist
Planted Member

I feel like my plants are getting more of these brownish spots on them as time goes by. It might just be my imagination but I'm not sure.
As soon as I have time I'm going to get some pool filter sand. I'm waiting to add more plants until that change happens because this play sand is ridiculously cloudy. Also, in my 28g that maybe one day I will plant (when I can afford it), my black moor was looking cheeky
Old 05-10-2014, 11:44 PM   #40
mistuhmarc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Another filter I've been considering is the azoo palm filter. Mainly because it's only $7. Have either of you used this? And thank you for the feedback its really helping me out. I'm a little bummed to have to redo the substrate but its for the better.
I have not, but I heard azoo usually has great nano filters. You can look it up around and see if you can find anything useful about it.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:39 AM   #41
AGUILAR3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I have the small 10g version of your internal filter in my 20 high and it cleared up my water in under 12 hrs. I'm using safe-t-sorb and it too was cloudier than a mofo. Yours should be crystal clear by now.
AGUILAR3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:50 AM   #42
Octantis
Algae Grower

I have 3 azoo palms. two on a 5 gallon and one on a 2 gallon. I've been happy with them.

First the good:
They are quiet(ish). I found after a week or two they get quieter.
They are cheap.
The flow is adjustable.

The bad.
The media container is a bit odd. The foam they give you is for near the discharge. It should be closer to the pump. I fixed this buy buying some of
this from amazon this from amazon
I also got the carbon variety too. Beyond that you can put a bit of biomax behind the pad.
The tops can rattle a bit. I find as the filter matures there's enough crap in the seam where the two halves meet that it stops. Using some rubber bands might help.
Not self priming. In the event of a power outage it might not restart.

Note they do make bigger versions of the Azoo Palm Mignons. So if you need more filter it is out there.

Finally use the foam pre filter. It really grabs a lot of gunk and keeps tails happy.

I ran one filter in a 5 gallon guppy tank for a few weeks and had not issues with keeping up with the cycle. Tank has 5 well fed guppies and 2 snails. So a decent amount of ammonia. I got the second to roll carbon and filter floss (tannins).
Octantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:52 AM   #43
Octantis
Algae Grower

I have no experience with play sand. But I'd think that is pure silica and would be diatom city. I have no experience with pool filter sand either but it will probably work better. I know a lot of people use black diamond blasting sand if you want a black substrate.

On my 3 gallon I used Floramax that I got from PetSmart. It's not bad.
Octantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:05 AM   #44
Aurie
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

I use pool filter sand on my 46. Easy to work with, and needed little to no rinsing. I do get some brown streaky algae on my glass but I keep a magic eraser around and only ... ONLY use it on that tank. This way I don't xfer snail eggs, algae or disease to another tank.

Here it is a couple months ago before I moved. It looks similar now, except I had a lot of melt when I moved due to new water. It's slowly making a comeback. I use osmocote plus tabs and seachem tabs for the root feeders.

Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:39 AM   #45
CluelessAquarist
Planted Member

Octantis- Thanks for the info that was exactly what I needed! Glad to hear it's a good filter, because the price is a major player for me right now. As much as I'd like a canister filter I'm not sure I can afford one right now. Also I've heard of diatoms and how silica causes them but I don't have much of an understanding about it. After I finish this post I'll read a few threads on it, thanks for the heads up. EDIT: Also at your mentioning of a cut-to-fit filter pad, I found a brand that looks pretty nice earlier today, if you ever want to check them out Google "Pinky Filters". If I end up needing filter material I'll probably buy that kind.

Aguilar3- I wasn't asking about a new filter due to lack of filtration, but because of the spraybar. The focused flow of water coming out of my Whisper filter I am using right now blows my sand around, thus exposing my dirt. After some thought I figure that blasting sand or pool sand will be heavy enough to not need a spray bar type distribution. The Azoo is attractive to me because the HOB feature allows more space in the actual tank (the one I'm using right now sits IN the tank... really ugly) plus the price & performance.

Aurie- That tank is beautiful with this 5g I really want it to have a slight "overgrown" look. I want it to be aesthetically pleasing but not look like someone trims it or anything like that. I'm planning on adding more slope to my tank when I swap my sand for PFS.

ANYONE- Can someone please answer my question concerning how people get such deep slopes despite everyone saying "Don't have deep substrate or you'll have anaerobic soil (MGOPS) / toxic gases (sand)" etc? Thank you!
And thank you all for your continuing help I really appreciate it, especially as it's all volunteer and none of you really ever had to help me, you chose to. You guys are great.

Last edited by CluelessAquarist; 05-11-2014 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: Additional info to Octantis