75 Gallon journal - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-01-2014, 02:07 AM   #16
tclancy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Small update. The wisteria was getting out of hand so I took most of it out. I moved around several plants on the left side of the tank. I thinned out the S. Repens and spread them out. It should look pretty good in a few weeks. I also added another piece of dragon stone rock. I might work on the right side of the tank within the next few days. The downoi is getting pretty thick and needs some work.

tclancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2014, 08:01 AM   #17
DaveFish
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)

Dang man, that is pretty impressive for your first scape, especially considering you went high-tech right off the bat. Really great growth, the S. repens and downoi look spectacular! What is your secret? You are using the Flourish line and Flourite? You are a true artist and a prodigy in the aquascaping world to have your scape look like this so early on in the hobby. I had to swallow my pride and fought the temptation of wanting to curl up in the corner after smashing my computer! LOL
Old 05-05-2014, 06:02 PM   #18
tclancy
Algae Grower

Wow Dave, Thanks for the comments. Actually this is my second tank. I have a 37 gallon that was set up about a month before this one. I should post a few images of it. On the S. Repens and Downoi. No secret really just doing the seachem dosing schedule (minus the trace, Alkaline buffer, acid buffer and Equilibrium) and a ton of reading/research. I am using Flourite with some plain black gravel mixed in.

The tank is far from what I want it to be. Swallow your pride? haha. Better not smash that computer or we wont be able to view your videos and awesome tanks...

That downoi needs to be thinned out. It's so thick.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:05 AM   #19
MamaJu
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

WOW! Your tank looks great and the plant growth is amazing. I'm envious. How did you get your downoi to grow like that? I have the same substrate and struggle to get the downoi to stay planted. I started out with 3 packages of downoi from Petsmart and am only left with a few crowns the size of nickels.

PM me when you are ready to sell some of your plants

Looking at your pictures make me want to pull out my real camera and take a proper picture of my tank. ARGH. I might have to pull my Nikon 7000 out. Not only do I own the Nikon 7000 but I have the Nikon F5 and F100. I'm just so lazy, I normally use my camera phone.
MamaJu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:12 AM   #20
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

LOL @ Dave!

This is a really beautiful and nicely laid out tank, one that anyone should be proud of.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, August 11, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:26 PM   #21
thor79
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Love the tank! The plants look very well done to me. I would love to have a tank that looked like this.

20g High Journal (first planted tank, first aquascape)
HC Planted, DSM Underway.
thor79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:30 PM   #22
tclancy
Algae Grower

MamaJu - I just stuck the downoi in pretty deep and then placed I think 2 root tabs under them spread out about 6-7 inches. I will let you know when I sell some. I should be removing some this week.

Thanks lauraleellbp and thor79!!
Old 05-06-2014, 07:09 PM   #23
tclancy
Algae Grower

Update

Things are going good. The S. Repens I spread out are starting to thicken up. Since I moved the Ammania Gracilis, it is getting more color and looking a lot better. Same with the Ludwigia narrow leaf. The Ludwigia on the right will get trimmed this week. I also really love how the sp japan is looking. Not sure about the Rotala indica. I keep trimming it but it sill likes to grow weird. I read this is normal for this plant. Any tips on getting it to grow taller? I have some Rotala Singapore (that's what it was sold to me as) in this tank and another tank. It grows really straight.

Update on the rotala magenta. I'm not sure about this one. It's getting good growth and some pinkish color but has some yellow and green mixed in. Is this due to lighting? I will just let it grow for a while and see what happens.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:11 AM   #24
tclancy
Algae Grower

I cleaned up the right side of the tank today. I removed most of the Ludwigia. I took out all the downoi except for 40 stems. I have well over 125 stems left. I also added another piece of wood (I might add a few more smaller pieces). You can see the rotala in the corner again =)

Last edited by tclancy; 05-13-2014 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 05-09-2014, 08:09 PM   #25
tclancy
Algae Grower

I had to take a picture of this little guy. I used to have a pair of kribensis that started breeding in this tank. We had to take them out. We couldn't get all the babies but 4 survived! We have 4 that are almost an inch long. They will be given away when they are big enough. Our kribs have eggs almost ready to hatch in their tank.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:28 PM   #26
jmf3460
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

what a stunning tank, and a cutie patootie baby krib to boot!
Old 05-09-2014, 08:38 PM   #27
tclancy
Algae Grower

jmf3460 - Thank you. This tank has been a lot of fun so far. The Kribs are a really cool fish. I love their colors.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:52 PM   #28
anchlo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Tclansy, I'm looking to add hydor circulation pumps in my 75... Do you recommend one large pump say the hydor 1150. Or two smaller pumps say the hydor 600 x2?

Great tank Btw....
Old 05-09-2014, 09:59 PM   #29
tclancy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchlo View Post
Tclansy, I'm looking to add hydor circulation pumps in my 75... Do you recommend one large pump say the hydor 1150. Or two smaller pumps say the hydor 600 x2?

Great tank Btw....
I would get 2 smaller ones. I have a Hydor Nano 240 & 425. Their doing great. I might upgrade the 240 for another 425. The nanos are really small too!

The 1150 is 6 x 3 x 3 inches ; 1.1 pounds and the 425 is 3.5 x 2 x 2 inches ; 8.8 ounces. That 1150 is big.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:38 AM   #30
jcgilmore2
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Plants looks awesome man! As everyone else has said... well done. Can't wait to see this tank grow in even more.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=582193

“We are star stuff which has taken its destiny into its own hands.” ― Carl Sagan
jcgilmore2 is offline   Reply With Quote