10G First Planted Tank. Updated 5/25/2014.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-14-2014, 07:07 AM   #1
Little Soprano
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

10G First Planted Tank. Updated 5/25/2014.

Introduction:
I have quite a lot of plants growing quite well in our 40 gallon long, but I wanted to try my hand at a pre planned, planted tank. My first attempt looked pretty bad. So I took a deep breathe, and tried to rescue everything to the best of my ability.

4/14/2014:
-Had a yeast overflow into tank, so did massive water change and last time I checked it's almost clear.
-Picked up a HUGE wad of willow moss (I'm having my doubts....), and due to underlying circumstances, it stayed in a bag within a brown paper bag for a few days. BF threw it in the tank for me because I didn't want it to die. Now I got what I believe to be MTS. Very tiny ones at that.
-Attached moss to the driftwood trees, and for now just scattered extra branches in the water. I also used extra mesh left over from the ceramic bio media that came with the filter to force moss onto rocks.

Tank as of 4/14/2014

I want to eventually run a creek through the middle of the tank. Tried sand, poorly colored gravel. Need better ideas lol. I might try sand again now that I've learned to fill the tank with floating paper plate, but still very messy. Would gray river stones work?

Looking at everything, I wish the driftwood reached the top of the water, but will have to do for now. Everything was simply tied on with fishing line, though the driftwood on the left, and a few other older pieces were done with super glue. I need to smooth out the gravel, as well as better define the creek edge. Organize the extra pieces of wood I have or remove them, and overall organize it better.

Questions I got: Should I let the MTS be? Or wipe them out now... I have the start of brown algae and string algae as well. My tank is still cycling btw, and also got a major yeast dump. Will they do anything? I do know my substrate is pretty deep towards the back right, so it really wouldn't hurt for them to move it around, but don't want to have hundreds of them.

My anubias nana petite has some brown/black spots on its leaves. It didn't feel very slimy. My plant book doesn't give any examples. I wanted to snap a picture, but tank isn't THAT clear yet. The rhizome is above the substrate, though roots are buried with a root tab next to it.

Current Setup:
10g Aqueon Tank Kit with Incandescent hood
2 13watt CFL bulbs
Aquaclear 30
ViaAqua 50-Watt Quartz Glass Submersible Heater

DIY CO2 (until tank is ready for shrimp)
Eco Complete
Dosing liquid fertilizers (Seachem Aquavitro line): 1ml of Propel/Iron 3x a week, .25ml of Activate/phosphates 2x a week, and .25 ml of Synthesis/nitrates 2x a week

Plants:
Willow Moss
What I thought was more willow moss.
Anubias Nana Petite

Planning to add these plants:
Anubias Nana Petite x2 (total 3)
Fissidens Fontanus
hydrocotyle tripartita

And that's about it for now. I'm going for a foresty, overgrown with moss sort of look. Future inhabitants will be Tiger Shrimp

Tank Update: 4/17/2014
(first photo is retouched because my hands shake and take crappy photos. sorry lol.)

WE GOT ALGAEEE

And my beautiful MS Paint rendition of my plan:

I am going to be adding the Hydrocotlye Tripartita/Pennywort as ground cover for most of the tank. I'm going to be trying to find some smaller driftwood pieces to create a couple of smaller spindlier tress to add some depth, and make it look less uniform. Some of these I might add some Christmas Moss too or just more willow moss. On the trunk of the tree on the right, the one in the front left, some of the newer ones, and other scattered driftwood pieces, I plan on gluing or attaching fissidens fontanus. I want to add two more Anubias Nana Petite, but they are so freaking hard to find gah. There will eventually be two more. I am going to be a river rock creek going to the back and winding behind the hill on the right. The substrate is ready for it, and the path is there, just need to find said river rocks. Have a bunch, but not in preferable colors.

My algae growth is pretty insane right now, especially on the moss tree. I do, however, have new growth! My moss is bright green coming out of the algae mess its in. Makes me excited to know its not dying or dead, just algae covered.

I am dosing with Seachem's Aquavitro line, the same dosing regimen I use on my 40g long. I love the line, and the simplicity behind it. The cost is pretty reasonable, and it's easy for a beginner.

But anyway, I'm hoping to get somewhat of an overgrown forest look along the creek. It's a work in progress, especially saving up for and finding my plants, but it should be worth it.

Update 4/21/14 Did a rescape, liking it more.

The brown lines are where I plan to add additional driftwood trees, and hope to get pieces that extend past the water line.

Hoping to add some moss when I get more of it, to the left wall as well, though not as intensely as on the right. Went with gravel, kind of like it.

Attached my Anubias to a small driftwood clipping I had to ensure the rhyzome stays above the substrate. This plant has very long roots, and was getting fairly difficult to plant. The rhyzome is exposed to the water, and only the stick is buried.

And photo bomb from the 40Gallon Long. Got two flowers from a plant whose identity I don't know, but they are BEAUTIFUL. This tank needs a ton of work lol.

Going to the Lake next weekend hopefully so I can find a handful more trees. It needs more I think, and taller ones at that. Want to make it more dense when it comes to that, and get some more moss as the tree lost some during the rescape. My hydrocotyle tripartita is going to be coming into the LFS sometime this week, and another anubias nana petite or two. I love them even though they don't entirely fit. I have another piece of driftwood that was planted but floated back to the top of the tank, so I'm just letting it sit in there near the light, I had it sunk two weeks ago, but never put it in, it's a pretty straight piece of driftwood, but it's tall so can extend out of the tank. Hope to put it in somewhere on the far right side of the tank.... maybe. I told myself that I could add some driftwood trees and plants but that I'm not going to mess around anymore with the current setup, and just let it grow in.

4/22/14
So I lied. I redid my scape, and I'm much more satisfied. You can follow my struggle here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=610386

Redoing hardscape

Placed driftwood and mosses.

Filled in.

Close up.

5/9/2014 Update
Hello again! My temporary inhabitant has moved out to the pond, so my tank has 0 inhabitants. He did an awesome job of eating all the little white worms (I believe planaria but had no triangle head, just tiny little white worms), and my tank has a solid biofilm going. It's fully cycled and he helped to increased the amount of BB in the filter.
My moss has been showing new growth and my small anubias has put out a new leaf every 4-5 days. Both Anubias are suffering from diatoms pretty badly, but aside from the diatoms and green algae it's not too bad right now. I've been leaving the algae on the back wall for now, though as you can see in the pictures it's started to grow on the bottom of the sides again. When trying to catch the koi I knocked almost all of the moss off the tree in the back, but otherwise the tank is doing pretty well. I made myself not touch it for two weeks, and tomorrow I plan on going to the park (there's a swampy area in it), and grabbing more if not the rest of my driftwood. I am going to stick to ones that will reach above the waterline, and I hope to find some relatively straight sticks, along with very thin ones I can place in the back to hopefully force some perspective to the tank as I feel it looks rather flat still. The left side has shifted a little bit, but the slope is holding up well.
The purple CO2 airstone looks horrid where it is, but the bubbles get caught in the filter spillway flow and get circulated. Otherwise the tank is doing pretty well right now, and I'm happy to see new growth on all of the moss I put in. I hope to pick up some more when I get the rest of the driftwood, though some trees I'm going to leave bare. I need to cover the big superglue spotted piece with something. I found hydrocotyle tripartita but I'm wondering if it would really fit in at this point with the rest of the tank. I was looking at s.repens, but I think maybe using more moss variations might be easier especially with the shaded areas created from the driftwood.

Any suggestions to better complete a forest look? I still am considering finding a darker gravel for the creek area but have left it for now. I also hope to cut up some small pieces of wood to use to litter the floor as downed branches as I only have a few small pieces. I also want to try and find Anubias Nana Micro though I've never seen it anyplace locally.

Pictures:

From above: You can see where the substrate on the left collapsed a bit and moved the big driftwood piece over quite a bit. I might just give in and invest in another bag of eco complete, but I think that would end up being more of a hassle trying to move everything and get it right again. Hopefully if I get some more growth in the flat area, it will look better. Possibly with a better system for the river bank on the left side.

Left side:

The moss needs to be trimmed down the center, but I'm trying to let it all grow out more before I go in and prune it.

FTS. Sorry about the glare from the window, can't reach it to shut the blinds, though it's far enough away the tank is not effected by it in the slightest. Got my stand as a bedside table from Meijers. It's made of real wood and weighs a lot. Very sturdy and solid too. No particle board! $50 bucks too. It's a little short, but I'm short so it makes it easier to work on the tank.

Last edited by Little Soprano; 05-25-2014 at 10:12 PM.. Reason: update
Little Soprano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2014, 09:58 AM   #2
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Don't just take my word for it but I believe the MTS will level the dirt/sub eventually.
Wait and see if that gets co-signed though. Unfortunately copperwhich would kill them will also kill any shrimp you ever put in there regardless of how many water changes you do. And I hope that second batch of moss was Willow as it would look better that way.
I only have 7.5 hrs of light in both my 10g tanks but I always over do the light intensity
because I like the algae so I have been cultivating it for some time now.
But to be rid of it just reduce the number of hrs.
I've been trying to come up/w an idea for a new 10g scape and I may borrow your mostly moss idea for it to go/w the rest of what I do/w it.
I would check the ingredient list of those ferts against the EI list to see if any are missing in the Macro category. Could be vital to plant growth as any missing nutrient stops plant growth. Almost forgot..a Khuli Loach will eat the MTS. They need some place to hide and I only had one in a 10g I had an never saw him till after lights out
due to that thing where "they say" you need more than one...made him nervous I guess.
But when I got rid of him he was three times thicker than when I got him.
I'll be watching for this tank to be on here as it matures...should be great.
I am a big fan of Fissidens also as I'm sure the shrimp will be.
Let the tank mature at least three months(yea I know) before putting the shrimp in.
I have a two year old 10g tank where they hardly bother with food I put in there
cause of available natural food that is missing from new tanks. You can cheat on that time but the shrimp will appreciate it if you don't.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:08 PM   #3
Little Soprano
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
Don't just take my word for it but I believe the MTS will level the dirt/sub eventually.
Wait and see if that gets co-signed though. Unfortunately copperwhich would kill them will also kill any shrimp you ever put in there regardless of how many water changes you do. And I hope that second batch of moss was Willow as it would look better that way.
I only have 7.5 hrs of light in both my 10g tanks but I always over do the light intensity
because I like the algae so I have been cultivating it for some time now.
But to be rid of it just reduce the number of hrs.
I've been trying to come up/w an idea for a new 10g scape and I may borrow your mostly moss idea for it to go/w the rest of what I do/w it.
I would check the ingredient list of those ferts against the EI list to see if any are missing in the Macro category. Could be vital to plant growth as any missing nutrient stops plant growth. Almost forgot..a Khuli Loach will eat the MTS. They need some place to hide and I only had one in a 10g I had an never saw him till after lights out
due to that thing where "they say" you need more than one...made him nervous I guess.
But when I got rid of him he was three times thicker than when I got him.
I'll be watching for this tank to be on here as it matures...should be great.
I am a big fan of Fissidens also as I'm sure the shrimp will be.
Let the tank mature at least three months(yea I know) before putting the shrimp in.
I have a two year old 10g tank where they hardly bother with food I put in there
cause of available natural food that is missing from new tanks. You can cheat on that time but the shrimp will appreciate it if you don't.
I figure for NOW I'm gonna keep them because they seem to be eating the new brown algae off the older moss on the tank, though when I see them I've been taking them and feeding them to my Pool Comet

My Anubias Nana Petite has what looks like maybe too much iron though it may be the start of brown algae. The leaves aren't wilting and the rhizome is sitting above the substrate.... I've been dosing 1ML 3x a week as per the instructions on the bottle, but no clue what is going on with it. Is it common n newly cycled tanks to be getting all this brown algae? It's on my older moss as well. I have 2 bottles of DIY CO2 cranking out pretty good, 2 13W CFL bulbs, dosing phosphates, nitrates, and iron. Am I missing something critical for these guys that's making them unhappy?

I was thinking maybe putting my CAE into the tank for a while as I do notice he picks the diatoms right off my Anubias in my other tank, and he's very gentle too. Though I'd feel bad putting a nearly 7inch long fish into a 10 gallon tank....

From my readings the tank is pretty much cycled already (been up for around 2.5-3 weeks), but I don't plan on putting shrimp in for another 2 months or so. Want to get my mosses growing, and the tank fully planted and set-up the way I like before they go in. I do have two bamboo shrimp who I caught mating last night who might go in the tank until I get my tigers. My BF is very experienced in the salt water relm of things, and wants to try and raise them with a brackish tank. Same with Nerites, and our Amanos. Would be nice to have a steady supply of the Nerites to put in the 10g.

I do want to try and get some green algae growth going, as it would be nice to have a steady supply of natural food in the tank, especially since I go on frequent weekend camping trips and it would make it so I don't have to worry too much about the shrimp going for a few days without me feeding them.

I can't wait until I can get some Fissidens in there! Going to be attaching it to the sides of the "trees" I have planted, and I hope to get some smaller straighter pieces so I can add some variety into the tank and create more depth, and density too.

Do you have any suggestions as to what to do for the "creek" going to the back of the tank. I liked the sand but it's hard to keep seperated, because any water that spills off the plate wrong while I'm filling makes it go everywhere... River stones? Gray gravel?

Last edited by Little Soprano; 04-21-2014 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: update :D
Old 04-16-2014, 01:56 AM   #4
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Soprano View Post
I want to eventually run a creek through the middle of the tank. Tried sand, poorly colored gravel. Need better ideas lol.

Questions I got: Should I let the MTS be?
What are MTS?

I used white gravel and liked it. Wouldn't put in in the middle though. Why is here.
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 02:28 AM   #5
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

@Hilde - Malaysian Trumpet Snails

Soprano- I used some small river rocks to make a sort of "river" in this old 10gal scape I did. The sand did eventually fall down the slope and just about covered the rocks. You might try to build a terrace to hold back the upper level of substrate and then disguise it with the rocks? I've had some success making terraces in aquariums using a cheap roll of plastic landscape border cut down to size.

Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 02:40 AM   #6
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
@Hilde - Malaysian Trumpet Snails

Soprano- I used some small river rocks to make a sort of "river" in this old 10gal scape I did. I've had some success making terraces in aquariums using a cheap roll of plastic landscape border cut down to size.
Those snails are great for a dirt tank.

That reminds me that I used flash guard (rectangular metal pieces of aluminium to keep gravel or sand separate from the other substrate. The white sand got dirt fast. With the gravel dirt fell between it.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:48 AM   #7
Little Soprano
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have tons of them already lol. The comet likes them, but it's tedious taking them out. I do like how that looks. I have a TON of small ones I picked up from the Lake shore that could work pretty well possibly.. White gravel could work too. I have a few extra pieces of driftwood. Maybe get plastic pieces and glue the driftwood to them to make a river bank?
Old 04-16-2014, 03:06 AM   #8
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Soprano View Post
Maybe get plastic pieces and glue the driftwood to them to make a river bank?
Great Idea. Just get some plastic that won't deteriorate in time, like grocery bags.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:54 AM   #9
Little Soprano
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Great Idea. Just get some plastic that won't deteriorate in time, like grocery bags.
I have some old five star notebooks. I was thinking of using the plastic front cover as it's pretty sturdy. Would that be sufficient? I have so much driftwood from collecting from the Lake shore over the last few years it's crazy It's like cheating. The other option is I have rolls of left over pond liner, that I could cut a few small pieces off and use that, but I don't think it would be very good at holding the substrate back lol.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:54 PM   #10
Little Soprano
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Updated!
Old 04-17-2014, 09:35 PM   #11
Ericj
Algae Grower

PTrader: (53/100%)

a few MTS never hurt anything! Great to sift the gravel and keep things healthy under there. And if their population takes off, you know you're overfeeding the tanks, so another good way they can help keep things healthy.

I second the idea of making a river rock river rather than trying to do it with sand or a different colored gravel. It's REALLY hard to keep things separate even from the start and nearly impossible in the long run. I think the rocks will do just as well and create the look you're going for.

I'm always cautious about adding plastic to tanks, not really because it causes harm, just makes things look very unnatural if you can see any of it at all. You could perhaps get a similar result with thin pieces of slate rock? But that could just be my bias
Old 04-19-2014, 01:59 AM   #12
Little Soprano
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well. I killed most of my snails lol. Woke up this morning to all of them stuck to my filter intake. Teehee.

I dropped my light period back to 6 hours a day to combat the algae, and my CO2 is cranking (2 bottles DIY CO2 with a lottt of yeast-had to use it up before it went bad), so I think either that killed them, or I added a good bunch of fish food since tank is still cycling, and the ammonia levels killed them. I am suspecting that it was the CO2 though. It's going as good as my pressurized system atm.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:20 PM   #13
Little Soprano
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Updated with rescape!
Old 04-23-2014, 04:13 AM   #14
Little Soprano
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So I think I'm FINALLY settled on my aquascape for now. I do still want to add some more driftwood trees both vertically standing and as downed branches/trees as well. I would like to try and expand my plant selection though. In my first thread I posted my inspiration picture and forgot to in this thread.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:57 PM   #15
Little Soprano
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Updated!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.