SNEAK PREVIEW: You want dimmer, timmer, 24/7cycle, & higher power functionality? - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Finnex / Schuber Wright

Old 03-03-2014, 08:17 PM   #61
water-kitties
Master of shrimp whiskers

PTrader: (12/100%)

Excited for the hanging kit. It's annoying how hard it can be to hang certain lamps. It should be easy! Have three of your lamps now, I was looking into another LED lamp with more red spectrum at a higher output but glad to see your new light might be what I'm looking for instead.
water-kitties is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2014, 06:09 AM   #62
Aqua_dude
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

How would green or royal blue in the mix look?
The blend you did below looks like it will be a warmer light which is awesome. It's like a Dutch/Amazon/Show tank style? I do still like the output of 7-8K, I have an ADA Aquasky and a Solar 2 (x2 36W pc)- I do enjoy the crisper light, its not washed out, but I wouldn't mind trying a warmer light for a different look. Just my 2 pennies.

ps I just got my 24" Ray Planted + today. I really like it! Its obviously not as bright as the Solar 2, but its still great! The plants pearled after an hour w/ Co2! Probably will be able to control algae a bit better without the higher light of the S2 and my next month's electric bill will start being nicer to me! For awhile, I'm going to switch between the two and compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe View Post
The strongest fixture we're probably going to go with a blend of 4000k, 6500k, Amber, and true 660nm red LEDs. I'll post pics on a tank once I have it available. Suggestions?

, & ADA Mini M.

Aqua_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:30 PM   #63
dubels
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

I guess I can wait until this fixture releases to redo my high tech tank. Sorry if I missed it but same mounting legs? Got some risers that I don't need for my Planted+ but would hold on to them if it's the same legs.
dubels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:57 AM   #64
shift
Wannabe Guru

YAY!!!!!! I Just ordered a planted+.. rats! haha I may need to get a second anyways.. can't wait for this to come out!
10G - CRS/CBS
10G - Red Rilli's
10G - Yellow shrimp
shift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:43 AM   #65
Octantis
Algae Grower

Just bought a Fugeray 10" for a Chi today. Then saw this thread (doh). But my needs are simple so it will work great. Would have loved a second plug for the moonlights to be put on a timer.

I appreciate someone making a light bar for smaller tanks. We can't all have big tanks. But we can have big tank envy.
Octantis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:00 AM   #66
Dmarksvr
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

A "Resume" function would be nice if there are weather FX... Looks like current is doing that on the orbit and the new Ecoxotic E-Series LED. The lack of that and compatibility of the + fixtures with their ramp timers is a turn off... So if you can succeed where they failed that would be cool

Also the lack of any storm and/or cloud cover events in the programmed lighting schedule kinda sucks. The resume function in their newer lights takes the edge off that failure a bit, but really disappointing that you can't just set it and forget it and have it do all those FX without it interrupting your program and/or having to activate them manually then resume.

Another option that would be really cool would be some kinda built in sound loop player to play storm or other sounds synced with certain weather FX. Allowing us to load our own sounds would be great. People are doing storm fx in aquariums, and it is starting to become a trend in the reptile/amphibian vivarium hobby too, but options to easily play synced sounds without some kinda getto mcguyver'd system are few and far between if not actually not existent. At the very least seems someone has to be really creative and/or technically inclined to get something like this setup

BTW I'm actually a tropical vivarium/dart frog guy, and these freshwater Led fixtures are really starting to cross over into our hobby. I have 12 vivariums and that isn't even a lot in my hobby We have a fair number of people with 20-100+ vivariums ...So while we may not have the numbers people wise the fish hobby has, we do have a lot of tanks! Like this...

(Storm FX on timed intervals as part of the overall lighting program rather then random would work better for us, so we could sync our mist systems. Maybe there would be good reasons why that would work better for aquarium people too???)

I mentioned the same thing on the Build my led forums and they expressed interest in possibly sponsoring some of our forums like Dendroboard.com, Dartden.com, Dartfrogz.com, poisondartforum.com, frogforum.net
(Tell em Dendro Dave sent ya! )

Then there are all the gecko/reptile forums... There is very little in the way of decent LED options in those hobbies and frankly the stuff coming out for freshwater aquariums is often of more use and better quality then what exoterra, zoomed and others are putting out there. Might be worth looking into sponsorship and/or products that keep those hobbies in mind in order to expand your market. Our lighting requirements are similar to planted tanks, maybe not quite as intense, but 1 satellite + fixture would probably fall short of ideal for most vivariums. Also we generally like light that is in the 5000-7000K range. Reef lights look like crap over a vivarium. Lot's of us are trying to make the switch to LEDs but options are limited. (If you ever need anyone to test out some lights for vivarium use, I'm your man! )
Dmarksvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:09 AM   #67
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

Any update on when the new lights with the built in features will be released? I am currently run 6 four foot T5HO bulbs on my 75 gallon and want to swap to LEDs, I am tired of buying light bulbs, attempting to decide between Finnex and BML leds. These built in features would be really nice and sway me more towards Finnex, most T5HO lights now-a-days come with built in timers at least so its nice that the "new" LED lights are catching up with the old T5HOs.
aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:14 PM   #68
lksdrinker
Algae Grower

Quote:
Super input! Your advice will be surely noted and taken in to consideration. If I may address a few things:

I don't want to get too far ahead and release too much information on this project but we have about 3 different fixtures we plan on releasing. As we could not incorporate the dimmer/timer option on the old fixtures without having users open up the fixture and splice wires, we decided to incorporate this fixture with an ADD ON to the new fixtures which would allow easy plug-n-play, all while keeping the unit itself at the lowest price possible. All 3 fixtures should fill a certain nitche. And when I mention higher powered fixture, rest assured you don't need to think higher price tag. We're doing our best to get a power house fixture as close to RAY2 pricing as possible . Stay tuned~

I cant realize I haven't seen this thread yet!

What about for those of us who dont mind opening up the old fixture to splice in some wires? I'd be willing to do the work/take the risk if you can make the dimmer/timer option available for us to add on to the older units. Its great that you're expanding your product line and all; but its sort of a downer to hear that my brand new light fixture is essentially obsolete already!
lksdrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:58 PM   #69
gt turbo
Planted Member

I just saw this thread and I think Finnex is doing great things. I'm quite happy with what I see proposed as new product offerings. I would wish for some backward compatibility but alas it's not to be, meh!!

As for all you guys who have new fixtures that you want to trade in, I might be willing to buy some of these used systems at a very reasonable prices. lolol
gt turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:08 PM   #70
pwolfe
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Glad to see the planted community finally get some good feature sets in led lighting. I bought a maxspect because at the time no one in the planted world offered what I wanted. This would have swayed my decision.
pwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:23 PM   #71
aja31
Algae Grower

Hmm any update on this? I'm trying to decide on an LED for a 75g that i'm planning to build and this sounds like it might be interesting. I've always loved the finnex lights but was always sad they couldn't be dimmed/controlled. If this is coming relatively soon then maybe i'll hold out for it.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:19 PM   #72
Lowe
Finnex

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja31 View Post
Hmm any update on this? I'm trying to decide on an LED for a 75g that i'm planning to build and this sounds like it might be interesting. I've always loved the finnex lights but was always sad they couldn't be dimmed/controlled. If this is coming relatively soon then maybe i'll hold out for it.
Sorry, the big boy unit won't be out until fall *crosses fingers*. We also have another cool light coming out around that time as well. There is a light with less output than the fugeRAY coming out in a few months but I doubt the masses would be much interested in it.

So ya, the light everyone is waiting for is still being put through tests:

Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:16 PM   #73
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Check it out! Up to 4 channels of dimming control (depending on the fixture). You can save the brightness settings in memory, and then schedule that via timers! And all via an iPhone interface, so this thing must have WiFi. Very cool!

Or maybe I'm reading too much into that pic, but that's what it looks like to me.
AnotherHobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:05 PM   #74
Dmarksvr
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Sorry, the big boy unit won't be out until fall *crosses fingers*. We also have another cool light coming out around that time as well. There is a light with less output than the fugeRAY coming out in a few months but I doubt the masses would be much interested in it.

So ya, the light everyone is waiting for is still being put through tests:

Any chance we'll get storm audio to go along with any storm lighting FX. The bluefish controller look like it will have this feature. Seems the next logical path for these weather FX lights.
Dmarksvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 01:35 PM   #75
uvafred13
Algae Grower

I think the weather fx and sounds is a cool idea...but wouldn't this be somewhat stressful to our buddies? Not sure why we would subject them to that. That's one reason I decided to go with the finnex over sat
uvafred13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
finnex, fugeray, led, preview, ray, ray2