"Grass Fields" & "Moss Forests": The 2-3g Shrimp Bowl and Jar - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-07-2014, 03:19 PM   #16
philipraposo1982
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

how did you attach all the moss in the jar? i like the jar a lot

Old 05-07-2014, 10:40 PM   #17
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipraposo1982 View Post
how did you attach all the moss in the jar? i like the jar a lot
Thank you ^^ I used low poundage clear fishing line, its really thin and flexible.. tieing knots suck though gotta triple knot it or more to keep it form coming undone. Anyways fishing line tied on, slap on moss, twist line around, tie it off, repeat in a different spot. I think I might had tied some on too tightly as I notice a few white patches (most turned white not algae or fungus growing over it).

Shrimp are in, one looks like it passed but the others are still alive and well. I'd noticed one molted shell in the tupperware when they were all wrangled out. I put in a tiny piece of shrimp food but they've not shown interest in it yet (protein>shrimp veggie stick... cannibalism mmm). Going to remove the dead shrimp and uneaten food in about an hour.
Will post photos tomorrow (if they hold still long enough and my camera can manage to focus on them).
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:29 PM   #18
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

A few photos of some of the wild types in the Jar (the camera makes their shells look more clouded then they are.. though one is roe milk white than the others and was not being photogenic either..)

And some of the cherry/rilli mutts in the 10g (will be moving in 1-2 weeks after verifying there's no bacteria infection in the jar shrimp).

Old 05-14-2014, 07:22 PM   #19
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Sadly it got very warm here, but not hot enough to turn on the AC yet... however I think the warmer house temp (and subsequent water temp) of the picos caused a bacteria infection in the shrimp. I see one dead white/cream one.. and two empty shells in the jar but no sign of active shirmp.. any survivors may be hiding. I am going to try treating the tank but most likely won't have any shrimp left after.. SO will wait until its hot enough for AC to be put on and then move the cherry/rilis up to the tank.
For now here's a photo of 10 of them (there are more but I can't find them all amongst the plants) in the 10g out for meal time.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:59 PM   #20
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

I hadn't seen any shrimp in days in the jar so I went to do a water change with the expectation of siphoning out corpses, and one went swimming by me as I started removing water! I had to stop the water change since the new water was not up to room temp and I didn't want to kill this ninja shrimp with the drastic temp change it would have gotten.
I've since found him hanging out on one of the driftwood pieces. He's very sluggish and is opaque rather than transparent :/ I've gotten some shirmp safe meds but at this point even if I treat I'd expect any remainders would die off.. But I might still do the treatment after the water change just to 'disinfect' the tank to to speak so when I move the cherry/rilis in they won't get infections from possible leftover bacteria in the jar.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:21 PM   #21
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Default Moved in

The cherries have been moved. Sadly there were not a lot left in the 10g holding tank. 4 went into the bowl (sharing it with a few MTS), and 8 into the jar. Moss has had noticeable growth since last update.. bowl plants.. not so much. The one wildtype is still alive in the jar too, wonder how he feels about the new roommates.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:27 PM   #22
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

The surviving wild type seems to like to be out in the open more now that it has some roommates. I came home to it and a cherry face to face (very close) looks like a staring competition or 'kissing', they moved off before I could grab a photo., but here are some other shots from the jar

Old 06-03-2014, 08:05 PM   #23
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

So I decided to clean out the holding tank these shrimp were in before moving to the bowl and jar (going to move emersed plant into it).. well I just saw movement .. wtf.. there's still shrimp in there! I feel horrible now since I already dumped a bucket of tank water down the sink without checking for any >.< now I get to deal with the fun task of netting them out.. I don't even know how they're still alive, the nitrate levels in that tank should be near lethal for them now...
Old 06-04-2014, 04:19 AM   #24
mistuhmarc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
So I decided to clean out the holding tank these shrimp were in before moving to the bowl and jar (going to move emersed plant into it).. well I just saw movement .. wtf.. there's still shrimp in there! I feel horrible now since I already dumped a bucket of tank water down the sink without checking for any >.< now I get to deal with the fun task of netting them out.. I don't even know how they're still alive, the nitrate levels in that tank should be near lethal for them now...
Well you know, cherries always got some kick left in them. Breed those, STRONGER OFFSPRING. Haha
mistuhmarc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:28 PM   #25
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistuhmarc View Post
Well you know, cherries always got some kick left in them. Breed those, STRONGER OFFSPRING. Haha
I dripped them into the bubble bowl (smaller population) so hopefully they'll breed and pass on the durability over there. There's also a lone surviving wild type (had 7) that lived for 2 weeks in conditions everyone says will kill shrimp(uncycled water).. the other 6 died after dripping them into a clean tank.. guess they were too adjusted to the nasty water >.>''' But hoping the surviving wild type breeds with my cherrys and rili and gives some durable offspring in the jar.

I wanted to share some photos of the blyxa in the jar which is really loving the soil and light! I have a bit of redness in its leaves!! and i'm not doing excel or co2 woot! (red hue is in on area that gets most light) the camera doesn't do it justice, looks more brown-green than red in the photo :/

Also want to share the two cool ramshorn color/types I have in here:
pink with semi clear-white shell and steel blue leopard spots:

and brown with semi clear-tan shell and darker leopard spots:

Also have some MTS in there but one decided to go adventuring out of the bowl today and dried out :c (first snail to leave the bowl or jar)

Have not been seeing alot of the shrimp lately but someone mentioned form a recent photo that one was saddled and might be ready to breed after a molt.. and I've read females tend to hide alot to avoid pursuing males, so assuming they're in the blyxa jungle somewhere.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:43 PM   #26
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Default Algae Attack! + shrimp update

Algae Wars Begin
So the 3g buble bowl has green hair algae in a few spots. I'm a bit pissed as supposedly cherry shrimp will eat it.. Well no food for you guys for a week, EAT THAT ALGAE! The lights are usually only on 6 hours a day, but my parents visited this past weekend and the room these picos are in don't have a lot of lights (usually have sunlight from window or tv on at night so don't need a lotta lamps/lighting) and wanted the room well lit.. so lights were on 2-4 extra hours. Back to normal photo period now and raised light a few inches to help reduce chance of algae explosion.
The 2g jar has a large diatoms explosion on the glass, and not enough snails to eat it off. I don't think neos (wild/cherry/rili) will eat diatoms off the glass, and the tank is too small to put an oto in to clean it up. I've never tried nerite snails and since its an open top jar I don't think that would work either.. guess I'll have to go at it myself at the next water change :/

In Other News..
I also have some odd extremely thin stem (thinner than micro sword) growing to the surface in the 3g bubble bowl. I can't tell if its growing from the micro sword or the blyxa.. but its split into 3 thinner stems and still going for the top.. I'm hopeful its some sort of flower and not a random 'wtf' tag-a-long plant starting to sprout up.. its definitely not an algae. I can't get a photo that focuses on it as its so dang thin so will just have to wait and see.

In the 2g jar I found a second wild type that survived! Never knew there were two, one must have always been hiding around the filter, almond leaf, or in the moss blended the past several weeks. But I saw both out next to eachother on the substrate yesterday. Unfortunately I also found the nicest looking of the rili (very pretty banding) dead by the filter (no clue why) and had to remove it with tweezers. :c
No sighs of berried females yet but I don't care if they don't breed as long as they don't all die on me (from disease, wc "opp"es, etc).

And to end on a non negative note, here's a few week olf photo of a cherry in the bubble bowl wearing a ramshorn baby as a hat (not staged, honestly found her(?) like that)!
Old 06-22-2014, 02:52 PM   #27
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Both of these look awesome! cherry shrimp and relatives are the best.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:06 PM   #28
Sparklescale
Algae Grower

Really love the bubble-bowl and jar! My own 2g jar is finally getting some growth on it and is in need of some new aquascaping. Your two are inspiring! Thanks for posting about them!
Sparklescale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:17 PM   #29
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
Both of these look awesome! cherry shrimp and relatives are the best.
Thank you! Your awesome shrimp bowl is what made me want to try this ^^ If you ever set one up again be sure to share it with everyone on pt! I've been enjoying the shrimp I have and am happy I don't have to mess with ro and re-mineralizing water for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklescale View Post
Really love the bubble-bowl and jar! My own 2g jar is finally getting some growth on it and is in need of some new aquascaping. Your two are inspiring! Thanks for posting about them!
Thank you! Do you have a journal (or photo you can share) of your jar? How long have you had yours set up?
Old 06-24-2014, 09:30 PM   #30
Sparklescale
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Thank you! Do you have a journal (or photo you can share) of your jar? How long have you had yours set up?

I do have a journal on it, and, went to get the link...but it is on another forum, lol! Forgot where I was! Anyhow, here are a couple pics of it. It is also the two gallon jar. It has a top soil and clay kitty litter topped with pool sand substrate, and, is planted with jungle val, Vesuvius swords, cardinal plants (dwarf type I think) moneywort, crypto wendtii green and tropica, weeping moss on a rock, elodea sp. single dwarf hair grass, and frogbit. Most of the plants in this were nubs and half dead roots salvaged from my 37 when I over hauled it, and, are just getting some growth on them. I have one dwarf African frog and mts and pond snails. I use a clip-on lamp with a homedepot led 6500K lightbulb (75w 'replacement'...don't recall the actual wattage) Please ignore the greenish tinge...it is in need of a water change.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Planted Aquarium 019.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	337042  

Name:	Planted Aquarium 003.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	337050