Starting a long journey..Riparium 20g long[BIG RESCAPE PHOTOS 6/23] - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-30-2014, 04:04 PM   #31
Duck5003
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (39/100%)

Love that pic

Sorry to hear your having a rough day! Its always frustrating when plants dont pull through.

The good news is, it sounds like a lot of your other plants are moving in the positive direction!
Duck5003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2014, 04:19 PM   #32
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck5003 View Post
Love that pic

Sorry to hear your having a rough day! Its always frustrating when plants dont pull through.

The good news is, it sounds like a lot of your other plants are moving in the positive direction!
True.. but if I got to choose, id let the stems rot and have all the anubias be healthy instead. It sucks trying to find a good seller with a lot of variety :c

Took a few photos after butchering out the dead anubias
Aris'oto' checking something out under the nana 'narrow leaf'

You can see some new tiny anubias leaves coming in

Otos love resting on the pennywort

love the new growth on this stem (ty for sending it)

The still unidentified green and red stems
AquaAurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:48 PM   #33
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Default arrrg

Loosing more anubias.. about ready to remove the whole anubias collection list with the expectation all the newly bought ones (not old ones) will rot and die...Soon I'll only have nana, narrow leaf, petite, and barteri with the way the others are doing.. Sucks because I cannot find any sellers of healthy anubias except the real common ones

Photo from earlier this week before the anubias losses
Old 05-05-2014, 06:49 PM   #34
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Yours actually looks kinda cool. Dinner table huh? Does the spouse of the house like to cover that when guests come to eat? This one's got teenage-angsting-giberish-y-nonses scratched in (along with a few "lol"s and "hi"s and "omg <3 [insert band/show movie character/school crush]"), not as nice to look at so covered it up. My mother says her art society uses black tablecloths for their events so she's going to get me info on where they buy theirs (yay). If that falls through I might just buy a large bolt of simple black cloth and sew the edged.. maybe even cut out the tank shape so I can just slip it on over the current cover and tank... not be bothered with draining and refilling/re-planting/re-acclimating fish to the tank.
Ha, I got rid of her about a year and a half ago, donated the table cloth too! HAHAHA! There is definitely some random crap on mine too, instead of angsty-teenage-giberish it's drunkass-twenty-something-party-animal-"art". Although several of those people now make a living as artists! I like the idea of cutting out the tank shape.

I haven't had much time to read through what's been going on lately(or TPT in general) as I'm moving this week and have been crazy busy. I did see you've lost a bunch of Anubias, that's a bummer. Have you just gotten plants in bad health or are they dying as they go from emersed to submersed? I'm interested in seeing the growth on my petites when I pull them out this weekend. I know they've being growing like crazy since I put them in the 55 but I've never actually pulled them out and inspected them. I'll have to take a picture of the same blob-o-riccia too, it'll show you just what I meant about Hydrocotyle being a weed.
johnson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:56 PM   #35
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson18 View Post
Ha, I got rid of her about a year and a half ago, donated the table cloth too! HAHAHA! There is definitely some random crap on mine too, instead of angsty-teenage-giberish it's drunkass-twenty-something-party-animal-"art". Although several of those people now make a living as artists! I like the idea of cutting out the tank shape.

I haven't had much time to read through what's been going on lately(or TPT in general) as I'm moving this week and have been crazy busy. I did see you've lost a bunch of Anubias, that's a bummer. Have you just gotten plants in bad health or are they dying as they go from emersed to submersed? I'm interested in seeing the growth on my petites when I pull them out this weekend. I know they've being growing like crazy since I put them in the 55 but I've never actually pulled them out and inspected them. I'll have to take a picture of the same blob-o-riccia too, it'll show you just what I meant about Hydrocotyle being a weed.
Haha nice, wonder if any of the table scribbled will be worth $$$ as the artists get more famous (like having a picaso sketch book doodle made before he was well known). I wish you much luck wit the move hope everything survives intact!
As for my anubias, I think I was sent half dead plants that were shipped from asia and just immediately repackaged. Many originally came with rhizome rot, which I lopped off, but some still just.. dissolved basically (try to examine the plant because its looking bad and leaves fall off to the side like melted butter on a steamy corn cob.. press the rhizome to pick it up adn it splits/splinters/dissovles). I thought the broadleaf might have been ermesed grown it had some odd white.. something on its old elaf after bing in the tank (kinda looked like an old milk stain?) But last check its still fine and has had a new leaf too. I'm certain the stardust was emersed the way 2 leaves melted off after it went into the tank, most other anubias leaves that died were already damaged or very deficient when they arrived. Not sure about the others though.
Look forward to seeing photos ^^ the ricca I got has done well on the foam over the hob and the leftover peice has been growing floating even though its usually covered by duckweed. Now that the frogbit and (I think) saliva minia are growing well I might try to start the duckweed wars to remove it. If I didn't already have a betta (that I don't want to move) I'd just buy a gourami to nom it all *sigh* oh well manual removal it is!
I'm glad I have a sponge cover over the HOB inlet. it gets packed with duckweed, think it would clog and kill the motor without the foam there.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:56 PM   #36
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

Those riparium plants will grow a lot better if you just use hydroton in a layer on the bottoms of the planters, then fill the rest of planters arond the plant roots with a finer clay gravel. Those plants look like a Cyperus and a Ruellia and they will grow better like that. It also helps to bury a root tab 1/2-way down in the planter.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:09 PM   #37
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Those riparium plants will grow a lot better if you just use hydroton in a layer on the bottoms of the planters, then fill the rest of planters arond the plant roots with a finer clay gravel. Those plants look like a Cyperus and a Ruellia and they will grow better like that. It also helps to bury a root tab 1/2-way down in the planter.
Thanks for the growing tip. I'm not sure if its good to have a O+ root tab loose in the water column like that though (generally keep them buried deep in finer substrate). And you're right about the id of the two in planters. The Rulleia Katie didn't make it sadly (arrived in really rough shape) but I got an aluminum plant today (also arrived in bad shape.. fingers crossed it bounces back) and some Oplismenus basket grass

I also got more anubias.. I have a problem.. I can't stop buying them.. One was sold as a barteri and its [censor] huge! Its leaves are larger than my whole hand with finger fully extended/spread out. The monster came with a micro, petite, gold, and hastifolia. Mircro may not make it, rhizome is mostly brown (didn't see until up-packaged). Going to contact seller about that.

I also grabbed two healthy look emersed grown anubias from petco today when I poped in to buy airline tubing to make floating corals for my frogbit, riccia, and salvia minima. I tried to take out most of the duckweed, but I know it will grow back. It had gotten so bad the foam intake of the hob was completely covered by duckweed, really killing performance.

No clue what type of anubias the petco buys are but will post photos of them and the other new ones tomorrow probably.

Last edited by AquaAurora; 05-07-2014 at 11:22 PM.. Reason: typos
Old 05-08-2014, 06:46 PM   #38
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Default The anubias jungle is growing!

New anubias + re-arranged tank to fit it all in
In Aquarium: Petite and micro, gold, hastifolia, monster broadleaf (sold as a barteria.. if its plain barteri I want the magic ferts mix that turned it into this monster!) 2 unknowns from Petco (think one is also a hastifolia). In riparium: aluminum plant, and Oplismenus Basket Grass. I also got some Starougyne Repens that I will probably be moving with the other stems.

Really love how the tank looks from my desk now (can't get a non blur/grain-y photo to do it justice sorry).
Arist'oto' seems to like the new layout and is re-exploring the tank ^^
Once I'm ready to set up the 7g cube I'll be taking most of the stems and re-arrange the anubias again to spread them out more.
Newest riparium plants look like [censor].. think they're gonna die from shipping shock :c Oh well will just shove some of the pothos in the left planter if that happens.

Last edited by AquaAurora; 05-09-2014 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: added info
Old 05-09-2014, 02:55 PM   #39
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

The Tradescantia zebrine (also called "wandering jew".. kinda odd name) has REALLY been loving the setup and has the most noticeable growth (even over the pothos which many say grows like a weed).

Old 05-15-2014, 06:13 PM   #40
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Default New tank teaser

Long story short, a fish arrived in the mail earlier than its estimated delivery date so I had to scramble to set up my 7g office cube (thought I had till SAt to be ready for it). I finally get to sit and rest (and eat a late lunch) while it drip acclimates. SO while killing time, here's some teaser photos:

Ooo mystery box.. wonder whats inside?? Its not "in" the box but rather the box ripped apart and framed around the acclimation 1g cube to give a dark calm place.
Most of the plants are from the 10g hold tank and the 20g long. Arist'oto' was not happy with me pulling up the right side of the tank to scavenge stems from.

Will make a proper journal for this tank in the next few days, and revile the hidden fish "Sorry folks, no flash photography while the fish settles in."
Old 05-23-2014, 04:42 PM   #41
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Default My dream is dieing...

I've sadly learned why my anubias keep dieing of rot..
http://www.anubias-engl.blogspot.com...s-rumours.html

The plants I bought from a member (the ones I complained heavily about deficiencies and rot and sold a dud lily bulb) came diseased and have spread to all my anubias... Its not likely I can save them as most are pretty far gone. My sexy giant broadleaf has lost half of its rhizome thickness to the rot and a few more dissolved when handled yesterday as I tried to treat them... i think they're too far gone...I really just want to cry.. and scream.. and hurt someone ... my dream of a riparium with a large anubias collection is dieing and rotting away! I don't know if I'll ever be able to keep anubias again after this.. as I'm not sure if the disease can linger in the tank when all anubias are gone..

I tried converting my newest and least visibly damaged anubias to a quickly made emersed setup, each in a separate mason jar with clay media, they won't share water to minimize chance of disease spread that way (not sure if it can spread through the air too). Sadly I know nothing about keeping plants emersed and will probably still loose them (if not to the disease then my own stupidity). The setup has condensation on the clingwrapp top.. so its humid.. but I think condensation dripping on leaves is bad?? I don't know how to give them nutrients in this setup since some don't have roots I don't think soil/root tabs will help those.. I will try a spray bottle with liquid fert solution mixed in I guess..

I'm freaking tired, I spent 7+ hours cleaning and fretting and converting plants last night then got no sleep from fretting over them more....
Old 05-23-2014, 07:46 PM   #42
mistuhmarc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
I've sadly learned why my anubias keep dieing of rot..
http://www.anubias-engl.blogspot.com...s-rumours.html

The plants I bought from a member (the ones I complained heavily about deficiencies and rot and sold a dud lily bulb) came diseased and have spread to all my anubias... Its not likely I can save them as most are pretty far gone. My sexy giant broadleaf has lost half of its rhizome thickness to the rot and a few more dissolved when handled yesterday as I tried to treat them... i think they're too far gone...I really just want to cry.. and scream.. and hurt someone ... my dream of a riparium with a large anubias collection is dieing and rotting away! I don't know if I'll ever be able to keep anubias again after this.. as I'm not sure if the disease can linger in the tank when all anubias are gone..

I tried converting my newest and least visibly damaged anubias to a quickly made emersed setup, each in a separate mason jar with clay media, they won't share water to minimize chance of disease spread that way (not sure if it can spread through the air too). Sadly I know nothing about keeping plants emersed and will probably still loose them (if not to the disease then my own stupidity). The setup has condensation on the clingwrapp top.. so its humid.. but I think condensation dripping on leaves is bad?? I don't know how to give them nutrients in this setup since some don't have roots I don't think soil/root tabs will help those.. I will try a spray bottle with liquid fert solution mixed in I guess..

I'm freaking tired, I spent 7+ hours cleaning and fretting and converting plants last night then got no sleep from fretting over them more....
I'm sorry to hear that . But hey, that's part of the hobby right? We all learn lessons, even ones we don't want to learn. You'll have that anubias collection, no doubt!
mistuhmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:36 PM   #43
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Hate learning expensive lessons though.
emersed setup:

Ripped out all the bad anubias that was left in the tank and planted new stuff yesterday, still not happy with the scape so no frontal tank shots yet. The Tradescantia zebrine has gotten even longer, I am really going to have to cut it soon!

[EDIT] forgot to mention: maiden hair fern went down hill (90% withered) I threw it out but my husband rescued it and stuffed it in a pot on the back patio.. haven't looked at it since it was moved to see how its doing, he said it still had a strong root system, but we'll probably neglect keeping that thing properly watered >.>''

I had made a plastic mesh barrier for the heater a while back (used in 10g when gourami kept falling asleep next to heater and getting lip burnt), turning it into a riparium basket, going to silicone all around it to keep rough edged from ripping up the betta + keep media from falling out. Probably going to put the zebrine clippings in there... may also cut down the aluminum plant since all its old leaves fell off it looks like a fugly fail palm tree right now.

Since my husband and I are putting together DIY inline heaters for our office tanks (7g and 12g) I am going to take the suction cups from those to attach this to the tank wall, wll have to cut a slit in the mesh to stuff the suction cup's small end through.

Last edited by AquaAurora; 05-30-2014 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: added info and photos
Old 06-06-2014, 08:10 PM   #44
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Default The cursed tank.. and a lot of rambling

So stupid me, decided to put the anubias in the 10g (keeping emersed) and move the filter back to 20g (without washing).. btw found 2 more shrimp still alive in the 10g when doing this O.o sneaky buggers, moved them to the 3g bubble bowl. AND buy some otos at petsmart and put them in the 20g (and 7g) without quarantining.... Well I paid for that... 3 days 3 dead fish, 2 of the 3 otos and Arist'oto' passed. I don't know what made the otos die, they were dripped in and lights kept off to reduce stress.. both corpses were very pale when found and removed. Betta contracted.. something that made his face white and go blind, and then die all in the same day. Here is the lone survivor (who is usually hiding)

He's a bit pale but not dead yet. Treating tank with Melafix from API since I don't know what killed the others (also dosing 7g in case its a disease that came in with the otos.. no issues in that tank yet) and don't have anything stronger to dose that won't kill plants off.
I'm worried its columnaris, but since the last oto is not dead yet.. I'm hoping not, and just some nasties come in on the 2 otos, betta pecked at a corpse before i got it and and got the nastyness too and k.o... If it is columnaris then I'd expect the last oto to be dead in a few days.. and if so I'll simply not put any fauna in the tank for 2 months (just plants) to let whatever infection was in there die off from lack of a host, then start over and re-cycle it... or maybe just keep it fish-less permanently since I do have a bottle of Seachem nitrogen...

As for plants in the tank.. not been too happy with the new ones.. I bought some hygro (corymbosa and corymbosa 'angustifola') which is melting faster than its growing, Bacopa Carolina which is melting all its old high growth light leaves, giant hair grass.. getting browning at the base, and another dwarf lily which is lacking in color from my other one (in 7g) and has some.. white fungus growing in a small patch on it.
The plants on top are doing well.. aluminum plant is sooo sloooow growing I decided to trim it off the long barren stem and replant. The umbrella sedge is doing well and has nice new light green growth cropping up. The wandering jew make the pothos look like a joke for growth, had to trim a lot to keep it from sagging into the water and rotting the stem (kinda hating the butchered look of the hob now). Pothos has moderate growth, and the fittonia albivenis is a very slow grower.
The planter I made is.. not very strong (no surprise) I tired keeping it from sagging with media in it by using fishing line to loop from the front to the back mesh.. still flimsy so may toss and get more real riparium planters or try clear shower baskets if i can find some for cheaper price. Stuffed the wandering jew clippings and the old aluminum plant stock (no leaves after trim.. but has root) in the flimsy planter, and a few stems in the smaller HOB. Wonder if the aluminum plant stalk can generate a new leaf without any existing ones.. will have to see (if not it gets tossed).

Once the disease thing is settled and I figure out if my melting plants will give me new growth or not I'll figure out a new plant list (as needed) and re-scpae the tank again. I bought a large mazantia from [Ebay Link Removed] that I'm still waiting on the seller to ship... and want to slap it in with its 'trunk' sticking out of the water and have slits sawed or holes drilled into it to put some more riparium plants on it, with the smaller thinner branches below water to make a little maze/root system sorta fun thing.... maybe.. i dunno yet, we'll see what I come up with once it gets here and I can mess with it in the tank (won't do until tank medication is done).
For new plant scape I was thinking of using: hygro tiger as more of mine grows and can trim (love this stuff), hydro japan, needle leaf java (would get more), possibly pennywort (if mine doesn't melt) to be a submerged to emersed grower, whatever hygro doesn't melt + the compacta and pinnatifida (or other low light hygro) versions, and the dwarf lily if its lives (plus 1-2 more) and the giant hair grass . Putting the low light stuff around the driftwood and medium light plants more upfront or in better lit areas, throw in a lot of the almond leaves i have to get a more 'black water' look, and focus on making the riparium part look a bit cleaner but dense.. but still kinda up in the air about this..If i lose most of the current plants I'll figure somethign else out...
anyways blah blah hers a crappy quick lights-out tank shot of how it sits atm.

I have the black table cloth to replace the patchwork fuglyness... I'm just lazy about breaking out the sewing machine and having to use it to customize the new table cover ^^''' Will have it done before the new wood+plants scape is declared finished.

if you're wondering whats in the tupperware on the shelf above: black=black diamond snad + mts snail babies I haven't fished out yet, 3 stained water bins to the right of it hold black worms for my husbands 12g dwarf puffer tank (going to go wash them in a moment), and the mystery under the cardboard on the end.. is what started as 4 black worms from another seller... have been scared to look under there as I've admittedly forgotten to clean that one's water...and rotted black worms is a smell that I can't even describe... but its the most foul of foul things I've smelt in my life (I could work nursing homes as bed pan cleaner and not be phased by the stench after smelling the rotted worms I got... so yeh... that shoudl give a hint to the nastyness of it)

[EDIT] FML ... Just found duplicate sold listing of the driftwood I bought..the sort of thing you can't have duplicates of... And using exact same photos zoo were [censor] you eBay and your fraudulent sellers and [censor] you seller for wrecking another of my dreams with your false listings, taking my money, and wasting my time! Damn it will nothing ever go my way for this tank? AAAARRRGGGG

Last edited by AquaAurora; 06-06-2014 at 09:52 PM.. Reason: Added FML at the end ...
Old 06-11-2014, 02:45 AM   #45
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Default more ramblings...

Soo just did last day of med dosing.. the oto has vanished, I don't know what happened to it but since I've yet to find a corpse, and the the filter intakes have covers.. I'm guessing it decided to try its hand at flying.. then flopped around on the carpet and get nomed by one of the fat asses..I mean cats (can't have shown no sighs of sickness from possibly eating a potentially sick fish).

Spent a good hour today ripping out head plant matter (mostly hygro melting but also lost about 1/2 the giant hair grass.. the lily bulb was also fungus-y so i took it out to wash off.. my thumb punctured it and I could smell rot. So I shredded the bulb and removed all the root/stem growth I could and re-planted it in the tank.. not sure how it will do without the bulb (by comparison the lily in my 7g is turning into a monster)? Pennywort has algae but only a tiny bit of melting.

Got in contact with the driftwood seller and apparently the wood had been sold before but the byer refused to pay full price.. and for some reason left a positive review for an item they ultimately did not get.. so hopefully my wood will come by Saturday.. its lost in transit right now (no updates since 6/8) hoping its just on a truck hauling ass from coast to coast. I also just went and threw money at you in house riparium person and got some more planters, rafts, and a few easy riparium plants. Going to focus on making the 20g long into a riparium with less focus on under water plants... I might try java ferns or fissiden.. something that won't need a lot of light so I can raise lights for the riparium plants (will also be raising the book shelf to give plants more grow room. I'm tempted to try my anubias collection again but I want to wait a while before I put any back in the tank...

I'm thinking when the wood gets here I'll gut the 20g, clean the [censored][censored][censored][censored] out of the substrate and filters (reset.. will have to re-cycle them) and get the wood put in, then wait for riparium plants+ planters and figure out what if any of the aquaatis plants I'll keep.. I'd probably throw instead of roak unwanted plants since I am still not 100% sure what disease was in the tank and don't want to risk spreading something to another user.

Might finally try sewing the black table cloth to fit over the 20g so I can stop looking at the checkerboard, and slap up a black background (not sure if I'll paint or use paper.. probably paper so I can see the backside if I need to).
The zebrine was unaffected from the cut back and is still growing pretty fast, will probably shove clippings into each planters once they get here + the bigger 'main' plants.. Wish this stuff could grow floating on the waters surface but the leaves would melt so gotta keep it raised.

Don't know what I'd want to do for fish in this tank whenever I finally feel its safe to try them again.. I would like to try rams sometime but they burrow.. same for cories... I wanted danio tinwini, but I have to pay shipping.. might finally try to concur my dread of tetras (long story..) and get some neos as a stupid simple fish for the tank. I've though of turning it into a large shrimp and oto tank.. but I'd like to get another betta some day (maybe even try a sorority??) and don't want shrimp to turn into a snack..