Ellie's no-tech planted tank - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-29-2014, 11:43 AM   #16
rininger85
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

very cool, I had intended on using something like this but it was only 8" diameter but I was moving it one day and it had a little gravel in the bottom and a couple inches of water and I was holding it in one hand with a thumb on the inside of the glass and the rest of my hand on the outside and it ended up shattering...

Then I started thinking it would be cool to find some bigger glass containers like this that you could have an insert in the middle of and build fish tank lamps out of them but haven't got around to doing it because I haven't found a big enough container for what I want to do.
rininger85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2014, 01:19 PM   #17
Ellie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

oh no, was it the way you were holding it or was it the glass itself? i was a bit worried when i filled this for the first time as it isnt exactly thick glass but it seemed to hold okay. i think next time round i will make sure it doesnt get filled right to the top though, incase of the glass and also allowing me to have more emergent plants
Old 04-29-2014, 03:57 PM   #18
rininger85
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I think its the way I was holding it. You need to pick it up from underneath because the bottom is thicker than the side walls on the one I had. It held water fine, just the weight of the water and stone and the way I was holding it caused it to break.
rininger85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:24 PM   #19
Ellie
Algae Grower

ah right, unlucky :/ ive seen some awesome looking cubes from people on here, especially when placed a few side by side, will have to keep my eye out for them
Old 05-09-2014, 12:50 PM   #20
Ellie
Algae Grower

Time to start being a tad more productive with this project. Other life things seem to have got in the way far too much

So, I picked up these from a local shop. Probably need to drill holes in the small one, and mesh up the bigger one so the holes become smaller...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0957.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	318066

Name:	IMAG0958.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	318074

They can serve as my emersed plant holders. Actually realised today that I bought Dypsis lutescens yonks ago from the garden centre, and unless I am very wrong this makes a good riparium plant, so some of that will be going in.

And these are my spare plants for the immersed bit

Name:	IMAG0959.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	318082

have a bit of wood spare that I could use, still need to come up with a cool design as I really want to incorporate the hardscape into it rather than just have lots of plants.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:59 AM   #21
Ellie
Algae Grower

Anubia petite, java fern, salvinia natans and a couple of plants in riparium planters added. photos to come but currently the wood is being weighed down by a load of rocks until it sinks again.