Ruxl's 65 gallon hi-tech - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-31-2014, 05:41 AM   #16
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

maybe consider using mineral oil for the bubble counter?
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
HybridHerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 01:11 AM   #17
Ruxl
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Its been a fairly big week for the tank.

Fishless cycle completed, so we moved over our lone molly & 5 otos. It seems the otos enjoy taking a swim down the plumbing into the sump and one met its end in the return pump. I've since put a prefilter on the pump, and tried to use some plastic yard/needlework fabric on the overflow, but it inhibited flow too much and I had to pull it. I'm still trying to find a durso standpipe pre-filter for 1.25" piping; I can find it for 1 and 1.5 but no one has 1.25 it seems.

As well, it looks like the molly had camallanus, and didn't make it through the week. Not sure if the move into this tank stressed it to allow the parasite to infect worse or what. Dosing all 3 of our tanks (community 29g, the new 65g, and a fancy goldfish 37g) since we share nets/equipment between them.

On the positive!

Received quite a few plants on Friday and spent the entire evening placing them. Never realized how long it can take!

Replaced the super-soaker jet spray loc-line nozzle with a splitter and 2 3/4x3" nozzles. I am now able to run the mag 9.5 at full throttle without blasting the fish/plants out of the tank. The temperature of the tank is also down to a manageable 75, vs. the 81-82 that we were seeing by recirculating the flow back into the sump.

Pictures!

Ruxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:07 PM   #18
Ruxl
Algae Grower

Been a while, lots of changes. I've been using a 5lb can of CO2 every 4 weeks or so. Thought I was running higher than necessary bps so turned it down a bit, but that resulted in a nasty staghorn outbreak. Add to that the barbs have taken to digging out the HC...

Picked up a pair of drop checkers and made a 6.31 and 3.35 dKH solution, per http://dropcheck.petalphile.com/. I figure this way as long as they are both green I know I'm good, and I don't have to guess if that is too dark or too light green.

Replaced the Ray2 with a BML XB Dutch. As you'll see, I had significant losses, virtually all the L. ovalis, L. repens, and all of the Pogostemon erectus were lost. I moved a few of the almost-dead stems into the refugium, where over the past month they have done exceptionally well and I finally moved the ovalis back up. The repens is growing, but it was really bad so it still has a ways to go. Since they did well in the refugium with a 23w CFL @ 10" or so, I knew I needed higher light in the main tank.

Replaced virtually all the plumbing with a herbie style overflow, and removed any 90 elbows for 45's. Tank is silent now, spare the mag 9.5, which is significantly louder than I ever realized. Hoping this helps with the CO2 offgassing, as there are no bubbles coming into the sump from the drain anymore.

Full tank shot, and comparison of Ray2 vs. XB Dutch (@ 100%)

Ovalis finally doing well:

Bacopa monnieri; I have to top it and replant weekly, else it'll poke out the top.

Crypt is multiplying:

Picked up some Alternanthera reineckii 'cardinalis' from Petsmart last week:

We are also looking to remove the rock and replace with wood. Rock is taking up a lot of space that we can't plant anything, and we can't really keep it clean. As you can also see, we've pretty much given up on the HC. Gives us the opportunity to fill the tank with a wider variety of plants!
Old 05-08-2014, 07:37 PM   #19
Chris_Produces
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

From experience, I've had one heck of a hard time with fast growing stem plants and trying to carpet HC at the same time.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:40 PM   #20
Ruxl
Algae Grower

Between the diatoms & barbs, the HC really was doomed. I have it growing well in my refugium, but the more I think about it I'm happy it opens up the tank to more variety rather than having 1/3+ the surface covered with a single plant.

Crazy how much the ovalis has grown in a week. Here is a picture I took last night, I'm guessing its growing around 1/2" a day.

Re-plumbed the sump when I did the herbie style overflow. Ditched the griggs style reactor and went with cerges, so far it appears to perform better than the griggs. You can also see more of the overgrowth of rotundifolia, which will be gone this weekend.

Need to clean the glass, but here is the refugium close-up: