Concerning blackouts for GW
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 12-11-2002, 07:31 PM   #1
EJSwanny
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Is it necessary to completely cover the aquarium or would it be Ok to just not turn on the light for a few days or more. I'm just a lil hesitant to completely deprive my fish and plants of light for that long. It would kinda stress me out to be in the dark that long
EJSwanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2002, 06:05 AM   #2
cramramdon
Algae Grower

How many days are we talkin? And have you considered getting a timer for your lights? Timers are very inexpensive and wonderful little gadgets!! Also I don't think it would do any harm to leave the lights off in your tank as long as its not for a long period of time. I know that fish probably prefer it. I have a few rearing tanks for my cichlids that don't have any lights at all, just indirect light from wherever it comes. I've taken all my plants out of a planted tank set-up and left them in a dark bucket for about a week and they were fine when I replanted them.
Old 12-12-2002, 10:13 PM   #3
EJSwanny
Algae Grower

I had read about using complete blackouts to get rid of green water and saw most say to do it for 3-4 days. I am instead just limiting my light for 2-3 hours a day for a while to see if that helps. Already today is is much better.
EJSwanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 04:44 AM   #4
Steve Hampton
Planted Member

For the blackout to work all light must be removed for 3-4 days. This means covering the tank with heavy blankets or black plastic. Diatom filter is a much better choice for eliminating GW. If you don't have a Diatom filter, many LFS will rent them or let you borrow one. If that's not an option then go with the blackout. If done correctly and with patience it is usually successful.
Steve Hampton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 04:55 PM   #5
corvus
Planted Member

New guy here.

I had GW bad when I first started my 90 gal. plant tank. (10 weeks ago)

I did a 5 day blackout, no lights, covered tank with dark blanket. It worked like a charm, and I lost no fish or plants. A bunch of stem plants got really long and weak looking like they were stretching out to find some light.
corvus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 02:27 PM   #6
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

3-4 DAYS?!!! Oh man, I am at wits end, worrying about my green water. My fish seem stressed and the plants look terrible. I blacked out my tank Saturday morning and the green water is still there. Another 2 days?? This is killing me.

I will NEVER EVER do drastic changes in my tank again. This is key, guys - make slow changes. I trimmed back way too many plants, uprooted and disturbed the substrate, cleaned out my filter, and this isn't a new tank syndrom thing. This tank has been running flawlessly for THREE years.

Be careful!!
Old 02-25-2003, 06:53 PM   #7
corvus
Planted Member

GulfCoast, I think you just saved me from some sort of mess. I have aquascaping that really needs to be done (who do these plants think they are, not growing the way I expected!). I was going to do it all at once, but now I'm reading this, will be careful to do it a bit at a time.

THANK YOU!!!
Old 02-26-2003, 02:16 PM   #8
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

I've made a rule for myself to never bother more than 1/3 of the plants at one time and wait 24 hours before attending the next 1/3 section. I removed the blackout last evening and things are looking better. Plants sure do look funky, though!