29g riparium (new photo may 12)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 05-08-2014, 01:56 AM   #1
sewoeno
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

29g riparium (new photo may 12)

changing my son's tank over to riparium. so today i took my drill, chair and screws and went at it! i used an ikea 5 dollar clothing rack to hang the light fixture... i just drilled holes in the top of the existing lamp and used S-hooks. i plan to steal my other light off my tank i'm selling and using two... trying to keep this low budget since i'm broke. but hey! it looks slightly straight hanging there right??? i'll post more photos this weekend.

Last edited by sewoeno; 05-12-2014 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: title
sewoeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2014, 05:23 PM   #2
sewoeno
Planted Member

tear down

added dirt & floramax/sand mix

may add more plants, still have another light to hang but overall i love it!
Old 05-13-2014, 06:16 AM   #3
-serok-
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi there!

Well, for my taste this isn't a riparium, rather it looks like an aquarium with plants above the water surface. And the photo is too dark, you can hardly see what is in the tank. Don't you have a brighter, better photo?

-serok- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:36 PM   #4
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -serok- View Post
Hi there!

Well, for my taste this isn't a riparium, rather it looks like an aquarium with plants above the water surface. And the photo is too dark, you can hardly see what is in the tank. Don't you have a brighter, better photo?
A riparium is an aquarium setup with above water plants rooted in the water (open water and/or submerged gravel) that emulates the riparian vegetation that grows along the edges of lakes and streams, so he has a good start with this setup.

If the setup has a built up land area with plants, then it is not a riparium, it's a paludarium.

If you go out shopping for plants some more you should see if you can find a small Spathiphyllum peace lily. Peace lily grows really well in ripariums and it is easy to find for sale as a houseplant.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:51 PM   #5
sewoeno
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
A riparium is an aquarium setup with above water plants rooted in the water (open water and/or submerged gravel) that emulates the riparian vegetation that grows along the edges of lakes and streams, so he has a good start with this setup.

If the setup has a built up land area with plants, then it is not a riparium, it's a paludarium.

If you go out shopping for plants some more you should see if you can find a small Spathiphyllum peace lily. Peace lily grows really well in ripariums and it is easy to find for sale as a houseplant.
actually the huge plant next to my tank is a peace lily... but i didn't want to break it up and accidentally kill it..
Old 05-13-2014, 11:59 PM   #6
sewoeno
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -serok- View Post
Hi there!

not sure what you think a riparium is, read what hydrophyte said...

either way yes i have more photos:

Old 05-14-2014, 12:01 AM   #7
sewoeno
Planted Member

Quote:

also i'm a girl
Old 05-14-2014, 01:14 AM   #8
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewoeno View Post
actually the huge plant next to my tank is a peace lily... but i didn't want to break it up and accidentally kill it..
LOL. I just noticed that. If it has a smaller side shoot you could dig it out with some roots and plant it in the tank. Don't worry. Taking a little bit off one side won't kill a peace lily.

If you go looking around for other plants I would recommend maybe replacing the spider plant. Spider plant isn't really a water plant. There are other choices that will grow better and "look right".

What is that tallest plant? It looks like an iris or something like that.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:40 AM   #9
sewoeno
Planted Member

Quote:
LOL. I just noticed that. If it has a smaller side shoot you could dig it out with some roots and plant it in the tank. Don't worry. Taking a little bit off one side won't kill a peace lily.

If you go looking around for other plants I would recommend maybe replacing the spider plant. Spider plant isn't really a water plant. There are other choices that will grow better and "look right".

What is that tallest plant? It looks like an iris or something like that.
i figured i will purchase some bog plants come june when my lfs starts selling their stock. i will try breaking the lily. i like the look of the spider plants, but they won't do well? i'll just leave them for now, haha. i'm low on cash this month anyways.

the tall plant is a yellow iris. think that will be okay in there? if anything my parents have a pond i can put it in.. do you have a thread about plants that work best in ripariums?
Old 05-14-2014, 04:29 AM   #10
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewoeno View Post
i figured i will purchase some bog plants come june when my lfs starts selling their stock. i will try breaking the lily. i like the look of the spider plants, but they won't do well? i'll just leave them for now, haha. i'm low on cash this month anyways.

the tall plant is a yellow iris. think that will be okay in there? if anything my parents have a pond i can put it in.. do you have a thread about plants that work best in ripariums?
The spider plants (and other wet root plants) will do well if you keep an airstone strip underneath them. Mine flower every month and have mutant leaves!
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:39 PM   #11
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

An Iris has a Rizome but it can take being under water up to a point or under so many
inches of water. I'd look it up(Google) to get the exact amount...long time since I
dealt/w them. Typically they live at the edge of an aria which floods when it rains
like a river or swamp.
Don't know which they are but certain plants do well if in a HOB filter with the top out of the filter.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:12 PM   #12
sewoeno
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
An Iris has a Rizome but it can take being under water up to a point or under so many
inches of water. I'd look it up(Google) to get the exact amount...long time since I
dealt/w them. Typically they live at the edge of an aria which floods when it rains
like a river or swamp.
Don't know which they are but certain plants do well if in a HOB filter with the top out of the filter.
oh well its not completely covered in water, the rizome is out a bit! i just used cheap dollar store toothbrush/soap holders, so i can move them, but they aren't all completely submerged.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:12 PM   #13
sewoeno
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstoND View Post
The spider plants (and other wet root plants) will do well if you keep an airstone strip underneath them. Mine flower every month and have mutant leaves!
awesome! i'll try to rig something up with my extra pump today, i think i'll need more air tube though.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:56 AM   #14
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Spider plant can grow OK in the water if the roots are suspended right in the open water and not in gravel.

Here is a quick list with some real good riparium plants that are pretty easy to find and easy to grow. These are all true semi-aquatic plants, so they adapt well and they make a nice, pretty authentic representation.
  • Spathiphyllum Peace Lily - many commercial varieties; look for smaller plants
  • Echindorus cordifolius - aquarium plant; emersed form foliage
  • E. cordifolius 'Tropica Marble Queen' - aquarium plant; emersed form foliage
  • Hygrophila various different ones - aquarium plant; emersed form foliage
  • Bacopa monnieri - aquarium plant; emersed form foliage
  • Cyperus alternifolius var. gracilis
  • Cyperus 'Baby Tut'
  • Chamaedorea cataractarum Cat Palm
  • Ruellia brittoniana Bluebell
  • R. brittoniana 'Katie' Dwarf Bluebell
  • Asclepias curassavica Mexican Milkweed
  • Zephyranthes Rain Lily
  • Hymenocallis Spider Lily
  • Pilea Aluminum Plant - trellis raft
  • Alternanthera Joseph's Coat - trellis raft