Tri-State (NY-NJ-CT) LFS [Grading system added] & CO2 directory - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 01-03-2014, 09:22 PM   #76
Dave6265
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Please add:

Sea Level Aquarium
28 U.S. 46, Pine Brook, NJ 07058
(973) 227-0200

I would give it between a : and a

It is a smaller store, but everything is always in good shape and they do have their oddball/gems in there. I was in there and saw some freshwater fishes I've never seen at other shops, and walked out with some Zebra Otocinclus.
Dave6265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2014, 11:25 PM   #77
NyCzBuBba
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to NyCzBuBba

You can add:
Franklin Pet Center INC. (Formerly known as Pet Barn then taken over by an employee) They still have a decent fish selection and sometimes get unusual fish.
212 Franklin Ave.
Franklin Square, NY, 11010

Zoo-Rama (Same owners as the one in Bronx) Sometimes gets some decent stuff at good price) I picked up 5 Anubias Petite here once at 4$ each. Each plant with at least 8-10 leaves.
475 Hempstead Turnpike
Elmont, NY 11003

Village Tropical Fish (This place is literally two blocks away from H2O Aquarium in Jersey City, worth checking out both at the same time since they are in walking distance of each other)
193 Newark Ave
Jersey City, NJ 07302
NyCzBuBba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:48 PM   #78
32Bit_Fish
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilgrin View Post
Update:

Just had my 5# tank filled at ace welding 15$ took about 5 - 10 min.

Best part I still have my shiny new Aluminum tank to gawk at under my tank.
That's great to learn another place does refill on the spot. I haven't found an used 10# yet. Concerned about getting a brand new one since many places only do swap.

I think used CO2 tanks are in demand. People brewing beers/sodas are also looking for used tanks. So we are the fish people are competing with them on used tank. That sux.
32Bit_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:52 PM   #79
Axelrod12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

CT is looking pretty weak on that list there. I agree with both ratings for the ones listed, although, the last time I was at Greenwich Aquaria they only had a couple FW tanks left, almost all SW.

I have a couple that can be added to the list. My ratings are based mostly off stock and customer service/knowledge. Supplies are mostly run of the mill around here, I haven't really seen and fancy ADA type stuff except I believe at House of Fins.

Westport Aquarium
2 Riverside Ave
Westport, CT 06880
(203) 227-9320

I haven't been here in a while. From what I remember, they had mostly Saltwater tanks, they did however have one smaller room dedicated to FW. Decent selection of fish and plants, some unusual fish and inverts included. Knowledgeable staff, even on the FW stock which isn't their specialty. The pricing wasn't terrible for Fairfield County and they will work with you sometimes. I guess I'd give it a

Blake's Aqua Den
34 High St.
2nd Floor
Meriden, CT 06450
(203) 684-8244

This is a newer store, he opened sometime in the middle of 2013. The owner is knowledgeable and seems pretty passionate about the hobby. The first time I went there he seemed very excited about owning his own store and being able to stock whatever unusual stock he wanted and providing for the hobbyist. He even had a whole shrimp rack and not just with the standard RCS that you have to be lucky to find around here. Probably 50:50 FW:SW, maybe a little more FW. He gets a in my book. Now if only Meriden were closer to me I'd be there all the time.

Slither and Swim
38 Saw Mill Rd.
West Haven, CT 06516
(203) 932-9436

This one is only a few minutes down the road from my house so I go here most often just for the convenience factor. They don't exactly have the largest selection of accessories and supplies. The fish selection is usually pretty good though. Sometimes they seem to go low on stock but when they fill the tanks again you can usually rely on finding a few fun oddballs around. They have a few tanks with plants. Not always the best selection but it's decent if you catch it right after they get an order in. A few shrimp tanks as well. Usually cherries and a couple others, I've seen OEBT, red rilli, blue velvet, and tigers. It was 100% FW, but last time I went there they were setting up their first SW tank. The store is split 50:50 Reptiles:Aquariums. My rating: as long as you catch them stocked. If not it goes down a bit.

Last one for now
All Pets Club
479 E Main St
Branford
(203) 483-7387

1167 N Colony Rd
Wallingford Center
(203) 265-1899

361 Boston Post Road
North Windham, CT 06256
(860) 456-7387

405 Queen Street
Southington, CT 06489
(860) 621-4664

Those are all 4 locations, I've only ever been to Branford and Wallingford, and mostly Branford so the specifics of my review will be discussing that location. However, Wallingford was very similar in stock and supplies available. They are a split 50:50 of FW and SW. Pricing is good but only if you have a RClub Card. The membership is $50/year but can often be gotten on sale between $20-30. The fish selection is usually pretty standard, very rarely they will get something odd in. The plant selection is usually decent, often they have the same plants but they usually have a good variety of them. In Branford there are a couple staff members that are fairly knowledgeable. They will still try to sell you sometimes though. Mostly I go here for supplies and occasionally plants. They have a large selection of different supplies and again at a decent price with the RClub card. They also stock tanks besides your standard Aqueon, Tetra, etc. I don't really know how the pricing on those compares though. I'd give them a probably, if anything higher it's just because of the large supplies selection.

EDIT: Oh and I'm not sure if this qualifies because they only do swaps not fills for CO2 but Maltose Express had the best prices on buying co2 tanks I could find in my area. They are a home brew supply store so the free beer samplers didn't hurt while I was waiting for my tank.
Maltose Express
246 Main St
Monroe, CT 06468
Phone203) 452-7332
Axelrod12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:05 PM   #80
darkoon
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (59/100%)

i do my co2 refill at Big Apple Welding Supply
236 47th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11220
(718) 439-3959

$15 for #10 tank. i have a spare tank, so i alway do refills. you can also do swaps, same price i think.
darkoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:46 PM   #81
Bushkill
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

These Guys have been mentioned in this thread already, I'm sure:

http://fishhutofnj.com/

I made the trek out there yesterday, and I was blown away. They really do have an incredible number of tanks in the place. Never having been there before, from the outside I thought I was walking into a tiny store. The second I walked in, my eyes bugged out. This is one of the neatest, cleanest, and best-kept stores I've ever seen. Not a single dead or sick specimen in the whole place. It was just neat as a pin. The Peacocks are really outstanding. I walked out with a pair of discus I just couldn't pass up.

The one and only downside to the place is the virtual non-existence of plants. Just a handful of java in one tank and that was all I saw. If these guys start bringing in plants, I may go broke. I almost never gush over a store, but these guys really deserve the praise. It's really nice to see people in the business do it right.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:54 PM   #82
gnod
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

anyone seen any geosesarma red devil crabs anywhere recently? i remember fish town had some a while back but haven't had the chance to go out there. thanks!
gnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:19 PM   #83
rozdaboff
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)

There are at least a couple of people in the NYC area that pretty regularly have CB offspring available. The CB crabs are hardier - and with appropriate supplementation, will color up just as nice as WC. Shoot me a message.
rozdaboff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:32 PM   #84
TyrannosaurusSex
Algae Grower

I can not speak more highly of Fauna, Manhattan. Everyone who works there is fantastic. If someone doesn't know the answer to a question, they were defer you to someone else who will. Everyone is frank, kind, and knowledgeable.
TyrannosaurusSex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:48 PM   #85
bsantucci
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

Since there's no co2 places listed for jersey yet, let me recommend this one in New Brunswick (central).

Reliable Carbonic Co
http://reliablecarbonic.com/
Address: 334 Handy St, New Brunswick, NJ 08901
Phone732) 545-4748
Hours: 9:00 am – 4:30 pm
bsantucci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:24 PM   #86
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

thanks for all the feedback. ill be going back to update the list.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:31 PM   #87
ctaylor3737
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)

Thanks for the list guys! Planning out my trek to the city at the end of the month. Any good stores that carry freshwater shrimp? I heard there are store in chinatown that carry some good inverts. Can anyone point me to a good starting point there? I havent found much info about them.
ctaylor3737 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:07 PM   #88
ryu1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (52/100%)

For inverts, either Pacific or Monster aquarium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctaylor3737 View Post
Thanks for the list guys! Planning out my trek to the city at the end of the month. Any good stores that carry freshwater shrimp? I heard there are store in chinatown that carry some good inverts. Can anyone point me to a good starting point there? I havent found much info about them.
ryu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:31 PM   #89
agro
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctaylor3737 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu1 View Post
For inverts, either Pacific or Monster aquarium.

Monster Aquarium cheaper + more variety.
agro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:52 PM   #90
agro
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Update 38 Aquariun Inc is now "king fish world" @ 152a mott street, same number, smaller selection.
agro is offline   Reply With Quote