New World Aquarium - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 12-14-2007, 07:07 PM   #31
krak256
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

my personal opinion on New World: i think they have a good selection of fish and they generally look healthy... but i their plants seem to be rotting or have algae problems.

the guy definitely tried to sell me stuff i didn't need. i got manipulated into buying a fresh water filter which i didnt really need, and when i tried to return it, i could only get store credit.
- you definitely don't need a water filter for nyc water. just add some drops and u'll be fine. read up on what you need before you go there. dont get duped into buying something you dont need, like me.
krak256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2008, 08:25 PM   #32
speedballz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to speedballz

I get a lot of my fishes, plants and supplies from Pacific with discounts. Must be the fact that my sister's boyfriend is the younger brother of the store owner

The fishes from them last longer than the crap I buy sometimes from Petco.
speedballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:10 AM   #33
Trace63
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I cant STAND New World. Went there for the second time the other night and I swore Ill never go back. Its just not worth it. Both times I went their selection was meh.

I mean, for such a small shop they def. did have quite a bit, especially salt water, but for those prices...WA WA WEE WA.
I could never see myself paying 3.99 for a harlequin rasbora...never!
Trace63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:34 AM   #34
FrostyNYC
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC

I went to New World Aquarium for the first time today. I was pleasantly surprised but not blown away. It was clean and well maintained with several large tanks full of plants. What was odd to me is that they're using the plant tanks to store large discus and cichlids. There was a 6 inch cichlid with what appeared to be hole-in-head disease in one of the plant tanks. No way would I buy something out of that tank. Note: The plants are expensive, especially the bunch plants. Even so, this store is worth visiting if you work or live in Manhattan. Since I was on a hunt for carpet plants, Ill add that they had HM & HC but no glosso. Edit: I suspect that they got a plant delivery today, cause the tanks were full to the brim, which contradicts what peopel said in previous reviews.

I also went to Pacific Aquarium on Delancy Street. The place smells like fish (in a bad way) and needs a renovation. The plant tanks were a mess. I will say this tho--I saw no dead fish, and no signs of disease. I probably won't go back, as their plant selection was nothing to write home about... although Win Aquarium is right around the block, with their great $1.50 amano shrimp.... On a customer service note, I walked in the store 40 minutes before their closing time (they close at 7:30pm), and 5-10 minutes later an employee comes back to tell me that I have 10 more minutes to shop. Well, I left.
FrostyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:40 PM   #35
Sticky230
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I've had nothing but good experiences at New World. When i had a tannin problem and i was looking at purigen, they suggested bio-chem zorb and it worked out great. Overnight i had no more tannin problem. They have also been helpful with plants for my 12g eclipse which is hard to stock with the low light. They sold me some wisteria which has been kicking butt. I'm probbaly headed back soon for some more fish. Plus they have the honey gouramis which rule.

Pacific is a good place. I haven't bought much there, but i found their prices ridiculously cheap. I bought my initial 3 zebras there, and one is still alive so I guess their fish are ok. i will probably go there again soon.

I haven't been to Win's. Around the corner eh?

I recently got a 5.5 gallon at a petland when i was buying food for 8 bucks. So i will probably attempt to get all my supplies at either of the two. Though i will head to NW first.
Sticky230 is offline   Reply With Quote