is Co2 a must???
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 08-02-2002, 09:14 AM   #1
qwuintus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

what if i just add additives??
qwuintus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2002, 03:03 PM   #2
KyleT
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (5/100%)

Adding CO2 is definately not a must. Many people have sucesfully kept plants without adding CO2 or any additives at all.

What kind of additives were you thinking of adding?

How much lighting do you currently have on your tank??

Generally if you have low lighting and don't inject CO2 it isn't recommended that you add additives.

Kyle
Old 08-05-2002, 12:23 AM   #3
inxs
Algae Grower

A lot will depend on your lights - how many watts per gallon do you have?

What growth rate do you want? ;fast , moderate or slow?
inxs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2002, 05:33 AM   #4
Pooks73
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to Pooks73

i use seachem's flourish. does anyone have experience with this? it seems to be doing a good job so far, although my ludwigia repens isn't fairing too well. but this is partly due to the insistance of my plec diging it up every night!
:fire:
flourite and river rock substrate
Pooks73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2002, 04:12 PM   #5
Steve Hampton
Planted Member

CO2 is an absolute must! Plants must have CO2 in order to perform photosynthesis. Adding CO2 above equilibrium is not a must though.

However, injecting CO2 will increase the vitality and health of plants regardless of the amount of light. While additional CO2 under low light conditions won't cause a big increase in growth rates, it does positively effect the health and vitality of the plants. Aquatic plants dry weight is over 40% carbon, it stands to reason then that carbon is the most important element to add.

But, returning to your question, yes it is possible to have a beautiful healthy planted tank without injecting CO2. It is more difficult to keep algaes at bay and to grow certain species of plants without injecting CO2. Balance is the critical issue in a planted tank, the relationship between light, CO2, and nutrients is much easier to maintain if you supply CO2 and lighting at certain rates. (Lighting 2-4wpg, CO2 15-30ppm) Having those two balanced, then it's simply a matter of balancing the nutrients.
Steve Hampton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2002, 02:21 PM   #6
inxs
Algae Grower

I have heard of people using Seachems Flourish Excel in non CO2 injected tanks with success.
Old 08-08-2002, 09:10 PM   #7
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

I'm keeping two planted tanks. One has CO2 injection, one does not. The one with CO2, the plants grow, in the one without CO2 injection, the plants survive.

You can keep plants without CO2, but I wouldn't bother.
Old 08-09-2002, 02:42 AM   #8
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I agree with Gulf coast. I tried keeping plants without co2 injection for a while and the results were less than satisfactory. If you want lush plants that actually grow I think that 3 watts per gallon and c02 in the neighborhood of 20ppm are a good start. Then carefully monitor your waters ph, kh, nitrates. I shoot for a ph of 7, kh of 3 and nitrates around 10ppm. Iron is also very important, but so far I haven't found a good iron test kit. The ph and kh are pretty stable at the above figures but my nitrates often go down to zero. So i've been using jobes spikes to supplement the substrate. I usualy insert them into the gravel close to the roots of my heavy feeders. then I'll monitor the nitrates. Trying to keep it in the 10 ppm range. As discussed elsewhere its important not to disturb the substrate as that can kick up the fertilizer into the water column and really increase the nitrate readings. I also use flourish and flourish iron, 50/50. My plants are doing great.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2002, 10:36 PM   #9
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

I have absolutely no CO2 injected into any of my tanks.

My plants are growing, rapidly, and I have very little "Die off" accept with finely leaved ferns (Indian Fern/water sprite). So While I do aggree that injecting CO2 into a tank will improve the growth rate of the plants, I do not agree that it is necessary.

The trick for me has been keeping the CO2 that is naturally produced in the water. I've been able to achieve this by using reduced flow rates in my tanks. My 22 Gallon planted tank is using an aquaclear mini, and thats it. There is not much surface agitation but there is more then enough area for biological and mechanic filtration to occur. The plants themselves are doing much of the filtration already, the Filter is just keeping the water moving.

In my 45 Gallon tank it is completely overrun with Wysteria, Java Fern and Java Moss. Addmittadly these are easy to grow, however I see growth rates of 1-2 inches ever few days on the wysteria. I am pruning the stuff back every week. This tank is using an Aquaclear 500 (overkill for this tank, but it works). The Wysteria has grown a canopy around the surface of the water keeping it relatively calm, keeping much of the CO2 where it is needed.

You can grow plants in a tank without CO2, but you need to find the plants that work for you tank conditions. Just be patient, experiment and things will work for you.
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2002, 03:39 AM   #10
inxs
Algae Grower

I think GDominy is right - you can have high light, CO2 injection and added nutrients or patience.

With the latter you can miss a day or 10 and not have a problem you also don't need to prune on a weekly basis.

With the former you get rapid growth.
Old 09-06-2002, 06:14 PM   #11
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Gdominy, what is your KH/DH in your tap water? Hard water will have lower incidental CO2 levels that soft water. Without CO2 injection, plants simply would not grow in my tanks. I have very hard and alkaline tap water, though (8.0 ph and 6-8 KH). Plants would just wither and die no matter how much light (over 3.8wpg) or nutrients were present.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.