Do I have a true 4.5 WPG?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 04-09-2004, 03:34 PM   #1
Lurpee

PTrader: (0/0%)

I am setting up a 10 gallon tank and I am using two light fixtures that I have sitting around from a couple of old 20 gallon tanks. I will end up with 45 watts but it will be from 3 15 watt bulbs.

My question is would this be considered high light since it is from the 15 watt bulbs and not one compact flourescent?

Would this be enough light to make it worth my while to use my hagen CO2 system? I have had a bad experience with this before as I had two algae blooms because I used this while I only had 1.5 WPG on my 20 gallon.

Thanks in advance,

Nick
Lurpee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2004, 08:39 PM   #2
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

Extra CO2 isn't gonna cause an algae bloom...something else was outta whack in the 20 gallon..and even 1.5wpg is enough for CO2 to start to make a difference...mostly in bushier plant growth. Algae blooms come from excess nitrates and phosphates...sometimes iron, but not CO2....in fact high light tanks without CO2 usually have algae problems that are only solved by CO2 injection.

Yes, you do have 4.5wpg with 3x15w normal fluorescent tubes. Since those 3 strips should end up covering the entire top, you should have really even lighting, and enough to call it 'high light'. You'll definitely need some CO2 injection, and fertilizing will be 2-3 times a week.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2004, 10:38 PM   #3
Rolo
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
Extra CO2 isn't gonna cause an algae bloom...something else was outta whack in the 20 gallon..and even 1.5wpg is enough for CO2 to start to make a difference...mostly in bushier plant growth. Algae blooms come from excess nitrates and phosphates...sometimes iron, but not CO2....in fact high light tanks without CO2 usually have algae problems that are only solved by CO2 injection.

Yes, you do have 4.5wpg with 3x15w normal fluorescent tubes. Since those 3 strips should end up covering the entire top, you should have really even lighting, and enough to call it 'high light'. You'll definitely need some CO2 injection, and fertilizing will be 2-3 times a week.
I agree and agree with malkore. Your tank is high light, but from 15W bulbs, you only have 15W intensity - this is a lesser factor and shouldn't be concerned with.

The algae problem could have been from other factors. You must test for phosphates and nitrates to properly diagnose any algae bloom.
Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2004, 02:54 AM   #4
Lurpee

I never could figure out why I had the algae blooms before. I tested my tank frequently before both blooms and my nitrates were never above 10ppm and my phosphates were never above 0.25 mg/L. They only common denominator I could think of was the CO2 unit. I guess I will never know what happened before. I am glad to learn that it had nothing to do with the CO2.
Lurpee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2004, 03:08 AM   #5
Rolo
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurpee
I never could figure out why I had the algae blooms before. I tested my tank frequently before both blooms and my nitrates were never above 10ppm and my phosphates were never above 0.25 mg/L. They only common denominator I could think of was the CO2 unit. I guess I will never know what happened before. I am glad to learn that it had nothing to do with the CO2.
Well there is your likely problem. Over 10ppm nitrate and only .25ppm phosphate. Nitrates and phosphates are sopposed to be at a 10:1 ratio. So get your nitrates down to 2.5ppm...or better yet raise your phosphate to .5ppm and get your nitrates to 5ppm.
Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2004, 06:00 PM   #6
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

Rolo's right, your phosphates were too low for your nitrate level.

We all tend to run our levels differently. I usually have 20ppm of nitrate, and keep my phosphate at 1.0ppm. I get a little bit of green spot algae, but even that's going away after changing my source of trace fertilizer.

My suggestion, keep phosphates between .5 and 1.0ppm and nitrates between 5 and 15ppm proportionately, and you shouldn't have the algae issues. Play around with the levels, but keep them stable for 2-3 weeks at a time before deciding whether the level is good or not. It takes several days for a change in your routine to affect the plants.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.