slime algae
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 04-25-2014, 04:10 AM   #1
carlos puron
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

slime algae

Hi everyone well I'm struggling with this type of algae, I noticed that it shows on the leaves that are closer to the lights, so I guess that's the source for it to grow, well I don't know I may be wrong so I will appreciate some advice on how to get rid of it. my tank set up is

75gallons
4 48" t8 light bulbs 6500k each bulb
HOB aqueon 55/75 filter
200w aquarium heater
Temperature stable at 78f
10 hrs of light no sunlight from a window
Water changes once a week 30%
Inhabitants: 15 female bettas 2 clown loaches 6 cory catfish and 4 Siamese algae eaters
Plants: Amazon sword, cambomba, African green hygro, willow moss, dwarf lily, red melon sword, and some others

I'll appreciate all the advice thanks for reading
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140421_190021.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	310786  

Name:	20140421_190033.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	310794  

Name:	20140421_190014.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	310802  

carlos puron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2014, 04:31 AM   #2
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

How long has the tank been setup? It looks like diatom algae to me, will probably go away on it's own as the tank ages.
aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2014, 12:14 AM   #3
carlos puron
Algae Grower

Well cicling process was finish about a month ago
Old 04-26-2014, 03:47 AM   #4
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

Although it's not very high, the light is high for that tank and you may always have
at least a small amount of algae on the tops of tall plants unless you cut the hrs of
it to 7 per day. Algae thrives on long hrs of light so you may be all right/w 8 hrs if
you break it into two parts/w a 1-2 hr gap close to the center of it.
Fish don't need artificial light if there is a window in the room(uncovered)with them
but don't allow direct sunlight to be on the tank. This will let you start the hrs for
the tank light later than when it gets light outside so it can still be 8 hrs but be on
after dark to give some afternoon viewing. Like you could start at at noon if you felt like it. And speaking of fish, those Clown Loaches get 10".
Any Loach will eat snails if that is your reason for them. Well, like Khuli Loachs, not
the Hillstream type.
BTW: Doctors Foster & Smith on-line pet supply has reasonable prices on bulbs and you would get a bit less visible light from it,
but a Zoo Med Flora Sun would be helpfull to the plants and cut some of the "glare" from those bulbs you have. Their Tropical sun is not much good for plants(or algae) and does have good visible light so you could use it as one of the 4 to cut some of the algae.
In a 4 bulb fixture I think I'd use the Flora for the third bulb. I always use one of the Flora's in any two bulb set up. The Tropical sun was just an after thought.

Last edited by Raymond S.; 04-26-2014 at 04:16 AM.. Reason: BTW:
Raymond S. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2014, 10:34 PM   #5
carlos puron
Algae Grower

I know about the loaches but I really like them, I know there's people that get them for snail problems that's how I got the first one he was living in a 20 gallons and my friend got him toeat the snails but later she realized how big would he get and decided to give him to me I'll keep them the most I can it shouldn't be longer than a year for me to move to a bigger house then the first project DIY monster tank if something goes wrong I have a friend working in the aquarium he said he can get them in the tank they have with the same species back to the lights I'll reduce it to 8 tank gets some filtered light from the kitchen is not direct sunlight So I'll get it to start at 12 am and end at 8 or is the gap during day better? And where can I get the zoo med flora sun bulb at a cheap price?
Old 04-27-2014, 03:12 AM   #6
jrman83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

8 hrs is good. What time is up to you. Breaking up the light does very little to help with algae. Your plants do better with consistency. Personally, I would just get 10000k bulbs from Lowes and be done with it. If the way it looks pleases you, I would probably leave it.

Sent with my Samsung S4 via Tapatalk
Eheim Pimp #448
jrman83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 04:33 AM   #7
carlos puron
Algae Grower

10000k? Never seen them are those the high output? I really thought 6500k was the most intense since it's supposed to be daylight. what would the changes be about plant growth with 10000k ? Could that help my red root floaters to grow red instead of pink? Wouldn't that hep the algae to grow faster?

I'm sorry I know those are too many questions I'm still being a novice in planted tanks this is my first try and actually the first natural plants I got and I think it isn't going that bad
Old 04-29-2014, 06:36 PM   #8
Mirkinator
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

10000k and 6500k, 8000k, etc, etc all refer to the color temperature of the light, not the intensity. Its basically the wavelengths of light that are outputted by the bulb, 6500k typically has the high level of usable radiation for plants by a bulb of that type. Going to 10000k you still get good light for viewing, etc but less Photosynthetically Active Radiation (PAR) that the algae could use.
Mirkinator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 12:01 AM   #9
carlos puron
Algae Grower

Ohh so that's what PAR refers to, now wouldn't my plants get affected for the changes? or that shouldn't be a har change ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.