Fish sitting?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Massachusetts

Old 04-23-2014, 07:27 PM   #1
Paragon
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Fish sitting?

I'm going away for about 2/5 weeks in June (party at my house. Woo!) and need someone to take care of my planted tank and turtle. Does anyone know a pet sitter in the Boston area who can handle dosing ferts, doing a water change, and feeding every other day?
Paragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2014, 07:38 PM   #2
tricken
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

use pill boxes for food pre section out if every other day skip days if need be, also use the same for ferts, then list how you do a water change, with that no one can mess it up.
tricken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:46 PM   #3
Paragon
Algae Grower

Well, it's more that I haven't been able to find anyone at all who does it.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:14 PM   #4
ashtricks
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Get an autofeeder and a timer for your lights. do a large water change a day before you leave. Set the autofeeder to feed small amount every day so that the water quality does not deteriorate. The plants will hold themselves well with the timer. Fish can do with little food over your vacation. I just did this on my 3 week vacation with my discus tank. I would guess dosing ferts can take a back seat. Plants will bounce right back.
ashtricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:05 PM   #5
aluka
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/96%)

Ask a friend to do it, i don't think anyone does it professionally. I did it for my friend over Christmas. Just ask a friend that is able to follow instructions, and type out a detail instruction on what to do. Water change can be push to every 2.5 week.

but yea if you dont keep anything sensitive, you can just get an auto feeder.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:23 PM   #6
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

I would be willing to come down Fri thru Sun LOL. Just curious, where about?
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:26 PM   #7
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Unless you are blessed with far more rational friends than I, you are correct to worry. The best of friends are still prone to doing more than you ask! Even if they know nothing about the hobby, they may choose to make changes in your schedule or plan. The most common I found and was never able to totally depend on was feeding. One neighbor fed my fish kale because she could tell one fish was constipated. I thought it was a female in good shape to lay eggs!

"They looked so hungry, I knew you wouldn't mind if I gave them more!"

No good solutions to suggest as I never found one!
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:42 PM   #8
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Unless you are blessed with far more rational friends than I, you are correct to worry. The best of friends are still prone to doing more than you ask! Even if they know nothing about the hobby, they may choose to make changes in your schedule or plan. The most common I found and was never able to totally depend on was feeding. One neighbor fed my fish kale because she could tell one fish was constipated. I thought it was a female in good shape to lay eggs!

"They looked so hungry, I knew you wouldn't mind if I gave them more!"

No good solutions to suggest as I never found one!
I have had this happen. If you do not explain a pinch, you get a load. I had to go out of town for two weeks in the middle of moving. So I brought my tank to my neighbors. I told them a pinch of food. Well, I should have known better LOL. I moved the tank over before I had to go and checked the next day. Tons of left over food.

So I showed them what a pinch was LOL. I couldn't get them to do water changes, but they did top off. But it went three weeks without a proper water change. Only lost one fish. Still battling the algae though.

And do not think your tanks are safe either, anywhere. I had an office tank, an Evolve 4. I had to hide the food for it because I came in after the weekend once and I think either the cleaning people brought a kid in or someone came in to work on the weekend with their kid, or just someone didnt care, but I found a punch of pellets on my desk and extra food on in the tank and an algae outbreak. I was not happy.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:24 PM   #9
MSG
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I don't think you need to feed your critters every other day unless you're massively overstocked.

Also I have a dozen people scattered throughout the greater metropolitan area I would rather call than trust a random pet sitter that usually picks up after cats/dogs/birds.

Another thing I would recommend if you're going away for a while is to shut OFF the water to your laundry in case the supply lines burst.

Someone/neighbor to clear your mailbox of excess mail in case someone is watching your property. A good portion of my town is abandoned during the summer months since everyone's on vacation at their beach houses or traveling overseas. Break ins are common around this period.

My neighbors always give let me know at least 1 week before they head off to the Cape.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:13 AM   #10
Paragon
Algae Grower

Last time I went away, my turtle got her flipper stuck in a filter. My friend checking on her was the only thing that kept her from drowning. That's why checking in every other day is smart.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:29 AM   #11
theurbantomato
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

In regards to professional service, I have used Unique aquaria for this service while I was away from home.
theurbantomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:20 PM   #12
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift

I usually have to tear down before I leave for the summer.
I'd slowly convert the tank to low maint. before you leave. that way you can just have someone top it off and keep it simple.
Down_Shift is offline   Reply With Quote