Best freshwater LFS in Philly area
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Pennsylvania

Old 04-19-2014, 02:13 AM   #1
Tuesday113
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

Best freshwater LFS in Philly area

What is the best freshwater LFS in the Philly area? Like within a 90 minute drive from Philly? I've been doing some research and it looks like Aquarium Center in NJ might be the best for freshwater.
Tuesday113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2014, 02:45 AM   #2
treben
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

Aquarium Center has a nice selection. The Hidden Reef in Levittown has a pretty good freshwater selection as well.
treben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:56 AM   #3
Bushkill
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

+1 on aquarium center.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:15 PM   #4
Bushkill
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Just out of sheer randomness, I ended up at Aquarium Center yesterday. Good gosh, it's a good thing I don't live close by.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:16 PM   #5
n25philly
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushkill View Post
Just out of sheer randomness, I ended up at Aquarium Center yesterday. Good gosh, it's a good thing I don't live close by.

Sometimes I wish that would stop me. The worst is when I convince myself to make the drive down there and not buy anything.
n25philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:32 PM   #6
GitMoe
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)

If you're willing to go 90 minutes you can get to That Fish Place. It's a pretty ridiculous place...
GitMoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:37 PM   #7
briscoe
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GitMoe View Post
If you're willing to go 90 minutes you can get to That Fish Place. It's a pretty ridiculous place...
This. Admittedly I haven't been to Aquarium Center. But That Fish Place/That Pet Place is a sight to behold. Not only do they have a HUGE selection of live fish and plants, their prices on dry goods are unbeatable.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, until the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
briscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:24 PM   #8
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I've heard good things about The Hidden Reef but never been there myself (too far for me).
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:34 PM   #9
n25philly
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GitMoe View Post

I made the drive this past February, and I was underwhelmed. Plant selection was very good, but livestock didn't seem anything special. Good store overall, and would definitely go if local, but definitely not worth that long of a drive unless you know they have something you absolutely must have and can't get elsewhere. Yes it's big but that isn't impressive if it's mostly the same stuff as everywhere else. A lot of the livestock didn't look especially well taken care of either when I was there.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:41 PM   #10
n25philly
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
I've heard good things about The Hidden Reef but never been there myself (too far for me).

Hidden reef is hit or miss. Half the staff is clueless while there are a few people there I would trust for advice. For example I was there last night to get a couple of cory cats and the guy that helped me had to re-bag them three times before he got it right and even then the girl at the counter ended up re-bagging them. Prices are all over the place, some stuff is good, some ridiculously high. Livestock prices, at least on the fw side, seem to be very good and are typically cheaper than what I see at other stores.

Bottom line they are a 15 minute drive from me and for most things I'll drive an hour past them to get to Aquarium Center. Then again I've dealt with the owner a few times and he's the type that only cares about making the sale, whether it is the right thing or not, so how much should you really expect from them?
Old 04-25-2014, 07:50 PM   #11
Mr. Krabs
Algae Grower

As people are saying, there is Hidden Reef in Levittown and right down the street from Hidden Reef is The Fish Factory. Hidden reef has a better selection of plants and has a larger selection of both FW and SW livestock, though the Fish Factory will typically have some more uncommon varieties. For instance the last couple of times that I went (i go to both whenever I go just because they are literally 2 minutes from each other, so why not) FF had at least 4 varieties of FW fish that the Hidden Reef did not.

Fish Factory tends to have less in the way of natural hard scaping elements and in general has less to offer since they are a smaller store. Their prices are also marginally higher than over at Hidden Reef.

All in all, I usually stop at Hidden Reef first and on my way back to 95 I stop into Fish Factory just to see what they've got in stock.
Mr. Krabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:07 AM   #12
PeterN1986
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I actually stopped by a place called Aquarium World yesterday on my way back from work. The store is not new, but there are a lot of new-ish tanks in there, and some MONSTER fish. The one guy I talked to is pretty knowledgeable and we had a good discussion about the two tanks he is trying to set up as planted. I will help with any trimmings I have since I literally pass right by it on my way to/from work. Seems like a promising place to check out in the near future.
PeterN1986 is offline   Reply With Quote