A Chocolate Gourami Journal **Vaillianti FRY 5-22-14!!** - Page 7
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 04-18-2014, 06:02 PM   #91
RWaters
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

That's great news! I think we'll all have our fingers crossed for you. I recently found some chocolate gourami's at my LFS - had never seen them there before. I bought all four but one died within two days. The other three seem fine and are eating well!
RWaters is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2014, 06:11 PM   #92
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

man congrats on the eggs, and those guys are looking awesome
Old 04-18-2014, 08:48 PM   #93
Duck5003
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (39/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWaters View Post
That's great news! I think we'll all have our fingers crossed for you. I recently found some chocolate gourami's at my LFS - had never seen them there before. I bought all four but one died within two days. The other three seem fine and are eating well!
That's great you found some! And even better they are eating well What are you keeping them at param wise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamiskool View Post
man congrats on the eggs, and those guys are looking awesome
Thanks
Duck5003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:17 PM   #94
swoof
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

congrats on the eggs, hope things work out with the brood.

Last edited by swoof; 04-18-2014 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: oops.
swoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:41 PM   #95
dasob85
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

congrats on the eggs !
dasob85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:25 PM   #96
Duck5003
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well i have a bit of a sad update. He swallowed the eggs or something of the sort. Either way they are gone. Params are good. Temp is good. I just think it was a dud run, which from what i have read on them is not uncommon.

Its ok though, i know it can be done and will be better prepared for the next spawn. They are still courting like crazy so who knows when that will be. Plus hopefully i will be getting the 6 i have reserved soon, which will help The 29 spawning tank is ready to go. Just need to get a low light for it which i'll pick up sometime this week, then i may move them into that. Once spawned, put the female back in the 15.

Oshpros came out to pose this morning, and they havent been getting much attention lately so i snapped some pics. They are showing some nice colors As always, thanks for looking. I'll get there with this whole breeding thing yet!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140422_125251.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	309722  

Name:	20140422_125416.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	309730  

Name:	20140422_125426.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	309738  

Old 04-22-2014, 07:56 PM   #97
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Well might have been first time dad, so some hick-ups happen. Better luck next spawn ^^
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:06 PM   #98
Grah the great
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Agree with above...he'll get the hang of it.
Grah the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:44 PM   #99
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Well might have been first time dad, so some hick-ups happen. Better luck next spawn ^^

yeeep hopefully he gets better with practice, gl!
Old 04-23-2014, 03:49 AM   #100
Aqguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck5003 View Post
Here's a couple pics of the assumed male flaring at me. And a short video of the 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPf7v...ature=youtu.be
Im still really impressed with this fish they just look awesome , have never seen one in the stores .
Old 04-23-2014, 04:00 AM   #101
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

I'm thoroughly enjoying this thread.

Hope you have better luck with the next spawn!
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:19 PM   #102
Duck5003
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the comments everyone, these fish are so much fun They are still just courting away in their 15 gallon. I havent heard about my 6 that i'm waiting on, i know the seller was going to give them time to acclimate and settle down before shipping again. He said he had them and they looked great a week ago, hopefully all is still well!! Knowing how long these guys take to settle down i'm not suprised they arent ready yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqguy View Post
Im still really impressed with this fish they just look awesome , have never seen one in the stores .
Thanks aqguy, and your right i've only seen them once and i bought them Thats why i'm REALLY hoping for success here, these guys are too cool to not be more readily available to hobbyist. Truely one of the most striking fish i've ever seen. As good as they look in pics, they are that much better in person.

I should also note, i love my osphros too and highly reccommend them to anyone who has the chance to pick them up. They are very beautiful and have awesome personalities and behaviour. I've also been seeing them more and more in LFS, so it would appear they are becoming more common

Last edited by Duck5003; 04-23-2014 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 04-26-2014, 04:41 PM   #103
Kaduhn1
Algae Grower

Awesome thread. I have a pair blue paradises gouramis and the male is constantly showing off to her and attempting to build bubble nest but i have them in a community tank with too much flow and higher ph etc. he's done it a few times but she hasn't been interested. I assume the conditions aren't right. this thread is perfect for what i need to setup. low ph and hardness, lots of floaters since mine build bubble nest. Hope you get them to bread again. Just an idea but I have some rubbermaid totes that i could do a sump setup like yours. do you think they would mind not having glass to see out of? they do normally live in rice paddy fields and puddles so i wouldn't think it would matter to them. Seems like a cheap way to set up some breeding tanks.
Kaduhn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:15 PM   #104
Duck5003
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaduhn1 View Post
Awesome thread. I have a pair blue paradises gouramis and the male is constantly showing off to her and attempting to build bubble nest but i have them in a community tank with too much flow and higher ph etc. he's done it a few times but she hasn't been interested. I assume the conditions aren't right. this thread is perfect for what i need to setup. low ph and hardness, lots of floaters since mine build bubble nest. Hope you get them to bread again. Just an idea but I have some rubbermaid totes that i could do a sump setup like yours. do you think they would mind not having glass to see out of? they do normally live in rice paddy fields and puddles so i wouldn't think it would matter to them. Seems like a cheap way to set up some breeding tanks.
Thanks! I've seen the blue paradise a few times and they are very pretty fish. However i have no experience with them. As far as your idea for a setup, i see no reason why that wouldnt work. Honetsly, i think the glass is more for us than the fish

I know with the 29 that will be the breeder tank once i get more driftwood, i am going to black out the back and the sides. They like dark, secluded, warm water. I know i've seen some betta breeders that use large round tubs for breeding "ponds"

You should give it a try! If your looking to soften your water, a resevoir that you filter through peat works wonders. Run it for 2 or 3 days and it will stay there and the fish will love it!
Old 04-26-2014, 09:40 PM   #105
Kaduhn1
Algae Grower

Could I just do one of the compartments in the sump with peat in it? What kind of peat moss is it?
Kaduhn1 is offline   Reply With Quote