Cubes Cubed (Formerly 8" Cube)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 04-19-2014, 06:44 PM   #1
Archerofthemoon
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Cubes Cubed (Formerly 8" Cube)

So I stumbled upon an 8" cube and couldn't resist. It's been a few years since I setup a planted tank, but I can't wait to see how this one fills out.

Started the setup with some Eco-Complete and a simple rockscape.

I had some Elocharis Acicularis growing in my vivarium grow out in a pot and planted some of it in the substrate. On the left I started out with smaller portions and wanted to experiment with larger clumps on the right.

I had found some Pogostemon Helferi and trimmed off some of the growth that had roots and placed it in the foreground.

Currently the system is being filtered with a TOM's internal. In a week I plan to remove the carbon before it breaks down to release phosphates. Once the plants are more established I plan to move over to a small Exo Terra canister that I was using for one vivarium since it has an established bio load. The lighting is a Coralife 18w PC unit. I need to find a way of heating the cube at night, currently the light during the day keeps it at 79 degrees F.

As for fauna, this is going to be a shrimp tank. I'm thinking of going with some cherries and maybe some micro rasboras. Though on second thought I might get another tank and put the micro rasboras in there.

Last edited by Archerofthemoon; 05-01-2014 at 11:25 PM.. Reason: New Thread Name
Archerofthemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2014, 07:46 PM   #2
nomad1721
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I like the look of the rocks on the left, the striations are very interesting. Looking forward to seeing how this progresses.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:25 PM   #3
Archerofthemoon
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks nomad! All of the rocks are the same. I picked them up 6-8 years ago when I was working at a LFS and just recently got around to using them! The large one to the right has the same style striations. I'm considering adjusting that rock so the striations show.

Just today while consolidating some old tank stuff I stumbled upon a diffuser I ordered from Japan years back and my old CO2 tank happened to be about 1/2 full still so I hung the diffuser over the side and ran it low for 15 mins to saturate the CO2 levels a bit.

Since I grew the Elocharis Acicularis donor emersed the growth rate was different. How long should I be waiting to see a few new runners?

I'm currently using the same ferts I use in my viv just in lower levels. The ferts I'm using are by Brightwell Aquatics (Nitrogen Source, Potassium Source, Multi-nutrient with Iron and Iodine.) I added around 1/8th of an ounce of the multi-nutrient the night I planted this. I'm hoping the plants like it, I know my Anubias Nana petitie love it!

Here are some of them in the viv grow out:

If the Elocharis doesn't work out I'm planning on replacing it with Utricularia graminifolia which I should have spreading soon in my viv.

If anyone has cherries F/S in the Maryland area, let me know as I'll be adding them in a few weeks.

8" Cube - Planted w/CO2 (inj), Eco-Complete, & Sat+
8" Cube - Planted w/CO2 (liq), MGOPS & Sat+
8" Cube - **Pending**
12"x12"18" - Vivarium Grow Out (immersed)
36"x18"18" - Carnivorous Vivarium
20"x10"x6" - Grow out (submersed)
Old 04-21-2014, 05:33 PM   #4
Archerofthemoon
Planted Tank Obsessed

So after running since Friday night for 3 days there has been a 'oily' film that has appeared at the surface. I did limit the surface movement by aiming the outputs of the filter down and it is running on a low output, so that would make sense of why there is a build up. I'm just not sure what is causing it. I went through and skimmed the surface this morning and removed most of the oil slick. I'm curious to see how it's changed when I get home.

I need to find a bubble counter, but as of 7:00AM I had the CO2 kicked on close to a bubble a second (via a little water in the feed line moving at about that speed.) Also, I need to get a new diffuser as the one I have is a little big for the tank and needs some suction cups to hold it to the side.

8" Cube - **Pending**
Old 04-23-2014, 01:44 AM   #5
Archerofthemoon
Planted Tank Obsessed

5 Day update pic:

Don't mind the micro bubbles my CO2 regulator somehow jumped while I was at work and was running a bubble or two over a second. Luckily there are only plants in there, so I'll have to figure this out prior to stocking it with fauna. The plant's are not complaining though And I also need to find a smaller ceramic diffuser that actually comes with suction cups or a glass curved tube to hang it. The only thing I've changed is that I added more cuttings of Pogostemon Helferi up front.

But before I got home I went out to another LFS today in the hunt for some Cryptocoryne Parva to start growing out in the Viv. Since I know the owner I ended up leaving with more... I ended up getting a pot of Parva, some nerites (going into the viv till the tank cycles and CO2 regulation is fixed) and he pulled some MTS for me. Then I stumbled upon something...

It happened to be a kit. I didn't really have an interest in the light and HOB filter, but he gave me a friend/former LFS employee at another old store discount. The HOB I might use for shrimp in one of these rather than adding another canister. After some thoughts and previous hunts for a Current Satellite FW+ I'm thinking of grabbing a third cube and running the 24" system over all 3 side by side, unless someone can convince me to go Finnex.

Oh, I also grabbed this while I was there...

I'm debating whether or not to go with another Eco-Complete setup or MGOPS with a coarse light/tan pool filter cap. With the wood I'd like to attach some of the Anubias Nana Petite's I have since I have over a dozen in the viv, with some trident or needle java fern in the middle back and a foreground of Utricularia Graminifolia. Thoughts or ideas? I have some of the pool filter sand in a bag somewhere, I'll take some shots of it once I find it.

8" Cube - **Pending**
Old 04-23-2014, 02:18 AM   #6
Archerofthemoon
Planted Tank Obsessed

So I found the pool filter sand. I just mocked it up dry to get some opinions of this as a cap.

8" Cube - **Pending**
Old 04-23-2014, 02:39 AM   #7
austin.b
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Are both cubes the same size? I have the same cube as a shrimp tank and I love it, especially the black silicone. Looking good so far!

Subscribed!
Old 04-23-2014, 02:58 AM   #8
Archerofthemoon
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yep, both are 8" x 8". If I found the 12" x 12" first I probably would have jumped on that instead, but the 8" x 8" should be a fun challenge. If you have a thread of your tank I definitely wouldn't mind checking it out for inspiration! The black silicone is a nice feature, yeah yeah it's no ADA tank, but I think it has it's own little perks.

Thanks for the compliment and I definitely have a ways to go. Plus as I mentioned before with a 24" Satellite FW+ I can fit one more of these cubes under one unit... Oh and I told myself "no more tanks" 6 years ago...

8" Cube - **Pending**
Old 04-23-2014, 03:35 AM   #9
ctaylor3737
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)

I love these cubes I'll convince you for finnex lights. Do great for me!

-Chris
ctaylor3737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:38 AM   #10
ctaylor3737
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This is the 8 above, 12 is in the first pic. These are the Finnex-r clip on light. I got 4 of these and they work great. I almost went with the long light but have since moved the tanks around. Light would have stopped me.

-Chris
Old 04-23-2014, 04:00 AM   #11
Archerofthemoon
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the pics Chris.

I'm trying to stay away from clip lights as I don't like the thought of something 'force' mounted to glass. This was one of the reasons I was looking at the Satellite. I'll stay open minded for now and continue on with research.

Still, I need input on the cap w/ MGOPS or Eco-Complete people for the new cube. I was eyeing the Fluval Stratum today, but I know jack about it.

8" Cube - **Pending**
Old 04-23-2014, 04:22 AM   #12
ctaylor3737
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you got time for a cycle, ADA soil is awesome. A bag would,do a couple cubes or more. It lowers your Ph and helps plants. They have a few different kinds. I also use eco-complete in my one nano does great. Mine are low tech so not really a big need for it. ADA keeps my PH down as I have crystals and bees in with neos.

The light bothered me at first until I tried it. It screws on and never seems to move even if you move it. It flips right up making access a breeze no moving light's, but I like them. Whatever works for you and u like is what's best! Just showing you they are there, I never heard of them and one day ran across them.

-Chris
Old 04-23-2014, 01:33 PM   #13
Archerofthemoon
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've got plenty of time to cycle it. Right now I'm trying to keep my purchases local since most (60-70%) of the LFS's closed down. I figure buying local, even with slightly higher prices, would benefit in the long run to keep LFS's open so I can keep getting plants and fish.

Anyone in the MD area know of any LFS's carrying ADA soil? I wouldn't mind doing the layered process with multiple ADA soils, but I have to make sure I get the proportions right as to not have a 3" substrate in an 8" high tank.

As for the clip lights, another perk for me is that in a strip I can consolidate my outlets. It's bad enough I'll have at least one plug per tank as I currently don't need heaters due to the light emitting heat. Once I go LED I know that will change and I'll need to get a heater. If only they made slim glass/ABS heaters for these little tanks. The probe style heaters are an eye sore and an inline on a small canister just seems ridiculous.

8" Cube - **Pending**
Old 04-23-2014, 07:02 PM   #14
ctaylor3737
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Only place I found close is in NYC for ADA soil. It's too expensive for LFS to Carry.

-Chris
Old 04-23-2014, 07:15 PM   #15
prighello
Shrimp Bane

PTrader: (2/100%)

Looks great!
prighello is offline   Reply With Quote