Dwarf Cories
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2014, 11:45 PM   #1
greaser84
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
greaser84's Avatar
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: NC
Posts: 876
Default

Dwarf Cories


I was at petco yesterday and saw dwarf cories for .99 cents I had to have them. I couldn't help myself. I bought 10 of them. Can I put them with cherry and golden barbs? I know cherry barbs and golden barbs are peaceful, the cories are so small I'm concerned for their safety. Also what do you feed a fish that small?
greaser84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-22-2014, 12:35 AM   #2
garfieldnfish
Wannabe Guru
 
garfieldnfish's Avatar
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 1,024
Default

I feed mine golden pearls, crushed flake food and sinking pellets like tetra min tablets, shrimp pellets etc. along with grindal worms and frozen daphnia. The habrosus tank also has a small population of gammarus shrimp and seed shrimp. They eat the tiny newborn gammarus shrimp but leave the adults alone.
__________________
20g L174/L46/hastatus/pygmy corys, 10g OEBTs/RCS, 10g blue bees, 10g CRS, 15g L316/L46/L340 fry, 10g yellow rili/yellow shrimp, 15g ADFs/clown plecos, 25g L134s/CPDs/otos, 29g Weitzmani/panda corys/zebra otos, 46g CAE/L134s/CPDs/salt and pepper corys/BNs, rubberlip pleco, 55g SAEs/L201s/L199s/BNs/kissing gourami, 75g L316s/BNs/mix of old fish folk, 30g L340s/L211/black darter tetras/CPDs/micro rasboras/L340 fry,10g tangerine tiger shrimp, 20g L134/habrosus corys
garfieldnfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:44 AM   #3
pbScapes
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: May 2013
Location: wilmington, nc
Posts: 60
Default

Where in NC are you? I've been looking for pygmy cories and would love to not have to have some shipped (I hear that they don't ship well).
I've never kept barbs, so I'm of no help there.
Good luck w/your cories...I would've scooped up a bunch, too, at that price.
pbScapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
greaser84
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
greaser84's Avatar
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: NC
Posts: 876
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbScapes View Post
Where in NC are you? I've been looking for pygmy cories and would love to not have to have some shipped (I hear that they don't ship well).
I've never kept barbs, so I'm of no help there.
Good luck w/your cories...I would've scooped up a bunch, too, at that price.
I got them at the petco off of new center dr in wilmington. I pretty much cleaned them out, though I didn't buy all of them. If you go to that petco ask for Brian (tall skinny white boy) he can special order you some. He's the only one that does the ordering. I live in castle hayne off oakley road.
greaser84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:20 PM   #5
Betta132
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Betta132's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 967
Default

I think you'll be alright, so long as your barbs aren't massive and the cories aren't fry-size.
Did you get C Habrosus or C Pygmaeus? Habrosus are true dwarf cories. They're kind of goldish and have black blotches down their sides, as well as having very rounded heads for cories. Pygmaeus are pygmy cories, who are silver with one black stripe down each side and a normal-shaped head. Pygmies tend to be more of a midwater fish when given a large school, dwarves usually stay on the bottom.
Betta132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:04 PM   #6
greaser84
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
greaser84's Avatar
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: NC
Posts: 876
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta132 View Post
I think you'll be alright, so long as your barbs aren't massive and the cories aren't fry-size.
Did you get C Habrosus or C Pygmaeus? Habrosus are true dwarf cories. They're kind of goldish and have black blotches down their sides, as well as having very rounded heads for cories. Pygmaeus are pygmy cories, who are silver with one black stripe down each side and a normal-shaped head. Pygmies tend to be more of a midwater fish when given a large school, dwarves usually stay on the bottom.
I definitely got the dwarf cories, C Habrosu, they are about twice the size of fry right now. They are in my QT tank right now, I'll keep them in there for a month or so. My barbs aren't full size yet maybe an inch if that. I hope they ignore each other. I feel like I will have a hard time feeding the cories, my barbs are pigs and eat everything so fast. Thanks for the info I always thought dwarf and pygmies cories were the same fish.
greaser84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:05 AM   #7
pbScapes
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: May 2013
Location: wilmington, nc
Posts: 60
Default

Thanks greaser. Petco on New Centre still had 3 left and I grabbed them today.
Brian has ordered a bunch of stuff for me at that store. FYI - petsmart in the Target plaza around the corner from there has a good $1/fish sale through the 27th. Got some healthy corydoras paleatus from there a couple of weeks ago. They also have albino and emerald green cories and otos for sale for a buck.
We're in Sunset Park in Wilm. My wife actually used to work up in Castle Hayne.
pbScapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:33 AM   #8
greaser84
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
greaser84's Avatar
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: NC
Posts: 876
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbScapes View Post
Thanks greaser. Petco on New Centre still had 3 left and I grabbed them today.
Brian has ordered a bunch of stuff for me at that store. FYI - petsmart in the Target plaza around the corner from there has a good $1/fish sale through the 27th. Got some healthy corydoras paleatus from there a couple of weeks ago. They also have albino and emerald green cories and otos for sale for a buck.
We're in Sunset Park in Wilm. My wife actually used to work up in Castle Hayne.
Right on, I'll have to hit up petsmart. I know where sunset park is, I was over there today. I work on wellington ave for a pest control company.
greaser84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:28 AM   #9
pbScapes
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: May 2013
Location: wilmington, nc
Posts: 60
Default

Small world.
Jim's the guy to talk to at that petsmart. The petsupermarket on Oleander has started getting in some decent plants over the last couple of months if you haven't checked them out.
the cories from petco were labelled as pygmies, but you're right. They're def. c. habrosus.
pbScapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:54 AM   #10
jfynyson
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
jfynyson's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 783
Default

I'll have to check my Petco as I'm in NC as we'll and looking for some cowries on the cheap and smaller the better!....thanks for the tip
jfynyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:50 AM   #11
Betta132
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Betta132's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 967
Default

If your barbs are that small, I don't think you have anything to worry about as regards them eating the cories.
If you're worried about feeding the cories, buy a turkey baster somewhere and use it to squirt food right down to the bottom. That, or feed the barbs on one end of the tank and add cory food on the other.
Betta132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012