Issues due to high water temperature ?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 04-19-2014, 03:08 PM   #1
svkr2k
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Issues due to high water temperature ?

Hi all,

40 gallon tank, water params are ammonia-0, nitrite-0, nitrate-20ppm. started and cycled 2.5 months ago. low light, lots of low-light fast growing stem plants. Flourish Excel + Flourish comprehensive dosing.

Issue:
Water temperature currently is 32 deg Celcius (90F) for the past 2 weeks due to summer. it was always less than 29 before 2 weeks. Have two air stones, one hob filter and a sump filter return provide surface agitations.
I guess there are tots of dissolved organics as the filter sponge gets dirty in just 2-3 days and needs rinsing.

Fishes started dying one by one every day during the past 1 week. No signs of illness. The fishes look very normal the previous day but, one would be dead the next morning.

Yesterday evening, a neon rainbow appeared darker (dark blue hue in the fins) and today morning it is dead. Today evening, i noticed the swordtail is lethargic and hovers closer to bottom, not sure what would be its fate tomorrow morning.

I guess it could be due to lack of oxygen at night + high water temp?
I believe that stocking level was approx 75% last week (i know its not so easy to calculate this).

One more thing i started doing for the past 2 weeks was dosing additional K2SO4 thrice a week (3ppm potassium per dose).

Pls help me save the remaining fishes. :-(

Last edited by svkr2k; 04-19-2014 at 06:12 PM.. Reason: correction
svkr2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #2
plaakapong
Planted Tank Obsessed

Get your temp down! Fans blowing across the top help. Turn off lights. Float frozen plastic water bottles in the tank. Frequent cool water changes, be aware of your water chemistry-difference between tank & change water.
plaakapong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2014, 03:40 PM   #3
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

It's possible of the heat. Oxygen is low in hot temperatures. You can try putting a fan at the water surface to increase evaporation. That'll help to cool things down a little. You can throw in ice into the aquarium too in extreme mid-day heat.

Another hardware you can buy is a chiller for the aquarium. You can make one with a little refrigerator.

+1 on turning off the lights.
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2014, 05:53 PM   #4
svkr2k
Algae Grower

Thanks a lot for suggestions. I have purchased a blower/fan an hour back. This is the only fan that was available nearby. the box says it lowers temperature 3-5 deg celcius. wind power doesnt seem to be as strong as i expected (but not sure).

I'm thinking of mounting it in such a way that it blows directly just in front of the hob filter's outlet where the surface turbulence/flow is maximum. will that be efficient than blowing across the top? sorry, i hav no experience so far in this.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:13 PM   #5
Solcielo lawrencia
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

It's surface area that is more important, not flow. You want it blowing across the entire surface of the water.
Solcielo lawrencia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2014, 07:13 PM   #6
Zapins
The Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (19/100%)

90F will also harm most aquatic plants. They will die at that temperature.
Zapins is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2014, 04:27 AM   #7
svkr2k
Algae Grower

also, please note that none of the fishes are gasping for air near the surface.
one more thing i forgot to mention is that i introduced 6 small new fishes just before all these happened. only one out of 6 is still alive. i drip acclimated for 1 hour and did seachem paraguard dip for 45 mins for the new ones.

Last edited by svkr2k; 04-20-2014 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: info
Old 04-20-2014, 07:03 PM   #8
Nu2Plants
Algae Grower

It's probably the heat. The oxygen content will decrease with increasing temps, but the problem is probably the heat. Not many fish or plants can tolerate those temps. You need to lower the temp. If you don't have air conditioning, you need a chiller on the tank. If you don't have a chiller you'll need to freeze some bottles of water or something and put those in the tank to drop the temp. You'll need to keep an eye on the temp, so it doesn't drop too fast or too much, and also so once the temp is down, it doesn't come back up again and you'll need to do that around the clock, till the ambient temp drops, meaning for the next 6+ months. The fan trick "works" but it's like anding a drop of water in the ocean. Almost no effect. Good luck.
Nu2Plants is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2014, 10:37 AM   #9
svkr2k
Algae Grower

swordtail died yesterday evening.

yesterday morning i installed the fan blowing air across the top surface, reduced lighting (3hrs + 3hrs split).
temperature dropped to 29.5 Celcius (85F).
No disasters today morning.

the plan is to connect the fan to the lighting timer, so that it is powered ON only when the lights are ON. Hope this is okay?

i originally suspected that a denison barb (the only new denison that survived last weeks disaster out of 6) killed the fishes, as i have seen him chasing others. So, i separated him for 2 days. i released him into main tank yesterday evening. i hope he is not the murderer.

Last edited by svkr2k; 04-21-2014 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: corrected
Old 04-21-2014, 11:31 AM   #10
roadmaster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Would leave fan blowing all day and night.
It is not the light alone driving the heat but ambient temperatures as well.
roadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2014, 04:08 PM   #11
Nu2Plants
Algae Grower

The fan idea is almost useless. It will drop the temp, but only by a small amount. Not worth the bother really. You will need to be much more aggressive to drop the temp to at least 80F. Also the summer hasn't even started yet, it will only get much worse.
Nu2Plants is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2014, 08:21 PM   #12
Zapins
The Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (19/100%)

If you live in a dry climate then you can get quite a bit of cooling done with a fan (about 10 degrees). See the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp6QhXArIEY
Zapins is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 04:18 AM   #13
svkr2k
Algae Grower

All the fishes were fine and no disasters so far.

thanks for suggestions, i shall try to use both:
1. fan
2. daily (or whenever required) place frozen water bottles into return chamber in sump

(i would have been happy if i could get a low cost chiller). Also, yesterday, i have started working on a diy temperature controller that controls the fan to regulate the temperature and to make the temperature increase slower. i already have all the parts, hoping to install it as soon as possible.
plants have started showing signs of 'fatigue' ;-)
Old 04-23-2014, 04:42 AM   #14
plaakapong
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by svkr2k View Post
All the fishes were fine and no disasters so far.

thanks for suggestions, i shall try to use both:
1. fan
2. daily (or whenever required) place frozen water bottles into return chamber in sump

(i would have been happy if i could get a low cost chiller). Also, yesterday, i have started working on a diy temperature controller that controls the fan to regulate the temperature and to make the temperature increase slower. i already have all the parts, hoping to install it as soon as possible.
plants have started showing signs of 'fatigue' ;-)
Be sure that the water bottles are free of soap residue, old glue from labels, anything that may end up poisoning your fish.
I have dropped water temp 2-3 degrees F in a matter of hours with a fan.
Good luck!
plaakapong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 05:10 AM   #15
secuono
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/96%)

Fans, remove any glass tops or hoods, raise the lights higher off the tank, turn a bulb off, switch to nighttime lighting instead of during the day, ice bottles, turn off tank heater.
The new fish could of made things worse, but 90F starts to cook fish.
secuono is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.