10 Gal planted dirted work tank - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 12-17-2013, 11:50 AM   #31
rininger85
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

one more pic just to show the growth over the past week...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-12-17_06.49.47.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	247833  

rininger85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #32
annyann
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hey it's looking great! Really starting to see some growth on those plants.
annyann is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2014, 05:13 PM   #33
rininger85
Planted Member

this is my favorite of my two planted tanks... I'm getting ready to break down my 55 gal FW planted tank because I want to upgrade my 10 gal SW reef tank, so I bought a 40B that I'm going to downgrade the 55 to a 40B and then upgrade my 10 gal reef to 40B. I'm limited on space because I only have 72.5" where my tanks sit, so two 40B's will be perfect! Going to change to miracle grow capped with eco-complete I think for the new 40B planted tank... hopefully that will give me similar growth to what I've got in this work tank.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:31 AM   #34
annyann
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rininger85 View Post
this is my favorite of my two planted tanks... I'm getting ready to break down my 55 gal FW planted tank because I want to upgrade my 10 gal SW reef tank, so I bought a 40B that I'm going to downgrade the 55 to a 40B and then upgrade my 10 gal reef to 40B. I'm limited on space because I only have 72.5" where my tanks sit, so two 40B's will be perfect! Going to change to miracle grow capped with eco-complete I think for the new 40B planted tank... hopefully that will give me similar growth to what I've got in this work tank.
That's gonna be really cool! You need to send me a link to your new builds so I can follow. My tanks are coming a long, I need to up date some time or another.
I do have guppy fry right now. I know you have had success with your fry, about how long does it take for guppies to start showing their colors?
Are you going to keep this 10 gallon work tank going?
annyann is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2014, 06:05 PM   #35
rininger85
Planted Member

sorry I haven't been on here in a few months. My work tank is still going strong! Here are a couple of pictures. The entire tank is growing really nicely, but my DHG is filling in like crazy.. the crypt undulata is getting huge, the hygro caromba (sp?) I've been trimming stems the last couple of weeks to take home and plant in my home tank to help fill it in since the work tank is getting so thick... even my dwarf baby tears are growing and filling in pretty nicely (with only flourish excel for CO2, and using (1) 23W and (1) 18W spiral CFL bulbs in the stock hood (with aluminum foil glued inside to help reflect light down).

You've probably started seeing some color on your guppy fry by now if everything is still going good... but it does take them a few months in my tanks to get color. The fry that I brought to my work tank from home ended up being one nice red male and then several females (still debating on one of my yellow cobras that now has a nice splash of red too if it is male or female, doesn't let me look very easily...) but they have all matured to the point now that they have about 7 little fry that have been born from the fry I brought from home now...

I brought one molly fry from home and I absolutely love the molly in my work tank. It seems to be sooooo smart. The tank has 7 or 8 guppies (plus 7 guppy fry now), 1 molly, 5 neon tetras and 1 orange algae eater and out of all of them the molly seems to be the smartest! They all go crazy when I am near the tank (except the algae eater, he is shy and hides under the crypt undulata most of the day and only comes out after lights out usually). If I feed them flakes they all go crazy at the surface, but I toss in an algae wafer and they all go crazy at the surface except the molly, the molly almost instantly knows where the algae wafer is at on the bottom and is the first one there eating EVERY time... the rest of them (guppies/neons) don't realize the algae wafer is even there until particles start floating up from the molly picking at it... so the molly is definitely my favorite, I keep thinking I need to bring another molly from home so it has a friend, but it seems pretty content hanging out and bossing the guppies around too...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0320141251.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	292513  

Name:	0320141251a.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	292521  

Old 03-20-2014, 06:28 PM   #36
rininger85
Planted Member

heres a teaser for my 40B's since I had mentioned them before... I ran in to some problems with my 2 40B build... I knew I had 72.5" of clearance in this space where my tanks are, so I built my stand and went and bought the two 40B's, then realized I had forgot about the trim on the tanks... so I had my freshwater 40B set up and got everything planted and transferred all of my fish back in to it, then I went to put the salt water 40B next to it and it wouldn't fit... and I tried to force it and ended up cracking the glass on my FW 40B that had all my fish in it... so I had to quickly move everything back in to the other empty tank, ran and bought a third 40B tank and painted the back then made some modifications to the wall to allow the tanks to sit side by side and tried it again... that time everything went OK.

the picture with the stand is old just to show the stand / tanks side by side... the FW tank was really cloudy still because when I had to move everything over after cracking the first 40B my miracle grow potting soil and eco-complete was mixed together... I couldn't find more eco-complete so I bought Flourite for that tank instead... I thought I rinsed it pretty good but it still made a huge mess when I flooded the tank... but things are finally settling in and getting roots growing good so plants are finally starting to respond. This picture of the FW 40B was on 3/4, since then the dwarf lily plant and the sword have both reached the surface of the water, the DHG has started to spread but still really thin, and I've added some of the hygro from my work tank (although it cant be seen because I wasn't thinking the dwarf lily would get so big so its planted mid tank, blocking the plants behind it now that it reached the surface...

Also one for my 40B reef tank since I don't have build threads for either of these tanks on here...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0304141935.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	292553  

Name:	0312141944.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	292561  

Name:	0115142027.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	292569  

Old 03-20-2014, 06:32 PM   #37
rininger85
Planted Member

I've also recently set up a 5 gallon QT tank for new incoming FW fish because I added some raspboras to my tank at home and they brought something with them that wiped out half of my other fish... so starting to QT everything before they go in my tanks. Also still have my 10 gal SW tank set up that I am thinking about making a stand alone refugium to grow pods to feed my tank or maybe try getting some seahorses... both of those tanks are in the 40B stand under my SW tank.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:43 AM   #38
jart
Wannabe Guru

Nice tank... I like it a lot.
I would have definitely thought that those two bulbs would be way too much light on a tank that size. Usually the maximum I've heard recommended for a non-CO2 tank would be two 9 watt bulbs. I guess you are dosing Excel though.

I plan to someday set up a 10 gallon as per Sudeep Mandal's webpage... google it if you haven't seen it already. A good summary of a method that works. Perhaps a bit more low tech than your tank. Shrimp and otos perhaps...

I like your fish choices in your tank as well. This is a good journal on a workplace tank. Keep posting pics. Regards.
jart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2014, 05:55 PM   #39
rininger85
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jart View Post
Nice tank... I like it a lot.
I would have definitely thought that those two bulbs would be way too much light on a tank that size. Usually the maximum I've heard recommended for a non-CO2 tank would be two 9 watt bulbs. I guess you are dosing Excel though.
from what I've read on lighting I think its due to the orientation of the bulb, if you mount it in a vertical fixture pointing down you get much more efficient lighting than mounting horizontal where most of the light is pointing towards the side of the tank rather than down. Plus the reflectors, I glued tinfoil on the inside of my hood as my reflector, so might not be the most efficient reflector, but better than a black hood...

I think the excel + light level is overdriving the plants growth pretty well because there is virtually no algae (except for just small film algae on the glass, but it can go a month without cleaning and still be OK, I did just finally pick up a mag float to leave at work so I'm cleaning it more often now, but it doesn't really need it...)

I have some of the HC that broke off and has been floating on the surface that reproduces extremely fast. I have to clean the floaters off weekly or it completely covers the surface of my water and blocks off light to the rest of the plants, but I figure with skimming off the floaters every week it might help keep the tank cleaner too as I'm removing plant mass that has to be removing nitrates/phosphates from the water.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:08 PM   #40
rininger85
Planted Member

haven't posted here in a while... my work tank is still going strong... I just changed it up a bit the last week or so, it had been overrun with guppies so I gave all of the females and all of the babies away and only kept a few males, then I moved all of my raspboras from home to work, and still have neons at work too, plus I moved my albino cory cats to work, and bought a betta. Plants are still looking pretty good, although I just had to replace a bulb and having algae issues on the side of the tank where the new bulb is now (and it's only a 13W CFL bulb that I replaced! apparently they still have a pretty big loss of power as they age).

I took all of my mollies and the remaining cory cats from my home tank and gave them to my aunt, then I just gave away all of the guppies I had at home. I'm breaking down my FW 40B planted tank. We are buying a house (closing this coming week!) and when I do that I'm planning on upgraded to a 240 gallon saltwater tank, so since it's going to be EXPENSIVE I decided to consolidate and just focus on that one tank (eventually I'll probably do a small FW planted tank on the 10 gallon scale for at home once I get the SW tank set up, but that will be some time next year since I don't plan on starting the 240 gal SW tank until January.

Tags
10 gallon planted tank, dirted tank, low light plants, low tech plants

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.