29g lighting--which is the better option?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 04-02-2004, 05:52 PM   #1
fedge
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I'm a cheepskate, so if I can get a better deal and not suffer too much by way of a loss of quality I will go for the cheaper price.

I am looking at either an All-Glass 30" CF hood with that GE 9325(whatever)K bulb 55watt (69 usd at big al's)

OR a 55watt brite kitt from Ahsupply.com

which is the best deal... I would like to order other things from big al to offset the cost of shipping for JUST a damn light.. but if the AH supply light system is that much better(can only see that maybe the reflector wil be better) maybe ill swallow the 8.95 shipping..

If you got a comparison sight or review sites post links.... I really just want a light to be able to grow some low-light plants.(trying to compete with the stupid diatom problem i got---without filtering the water for silicates or buying a RO system) along with adding some plants to the aquairum.
fedge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2004, 06:11 PM   #2
cruizer
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to cruizer Send a message via MSN to cruizer Send a message via Yahoo to cruizer

I used the AH Supply kit for my 29 Gallon.

But after chaning from a moderatly planted tank to a moderately-heavy planted tank, I am adding a dual strip light to the setup.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:57 PM   #3
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

remember the bright light kit is a retro fit for your existing light strip. the all-glass is a complete hood.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2004, 07:05 PM   #4
Rolo
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
remember the bright light kit is a retro fit for your existing light strip. the all-glass is a complete hood.
It's not only limited to retrofiting. I ordered the AHSupply bright kit and built a hood entirley from scratch following the provided directions. I have minimal wood working skills and it was extremely easy.

I was in the same lingo - to choose the AHS kit or AGA strip. I'm gald I went with AHS because of the great reflector, plus greater ventilation from a building your own hood.

Though If the reason you want the AGA is because of the GE 9325K, I would get that. I love this bulb. At the last minute I was going to get the AGA b/c that bulb outweighed the pros of the AHS kit, but then I found someone local who sold it to me for $18; letting me go for the AHS kit.
Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2004, 04:10 PM   #5
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ok, yeah, I wasn't clear...I just wanted to emphasize that the AH kit was a kit of parts, not a complete hood. i.e. 'some assembly required'.

That's what I get for posting when it's a busy work day.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2004, 02:42 PM   #6
Left C
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

malkore, Do you have a picture of your 20g with the Rams. I'm thinking of doing something similar with a 29g.
Left C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.