Substrate Holy Grail?!?! - Page 15
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 04-13-2014, 05:24 AM   #211
Guzas
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

My first post here.. And I'm looking to re-do my current aquarium to a planted tank. And of course I have 3 bags of eco-complete already bought. However I stumbled upon this thread and guess what? I just ordered 5 bags from "that pet place". Now that I have burned a hole in my pocket I figured this would be a great time to say... thanks! And say HI. I'm a sucker for good reviews.

Looking forward to posting my step by step progress. This is so new for me and I am very excited..
Guzas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2014, 01:05 PM   #212
msebar
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Good luck post your results
msebar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 07:18 PM   #213
msebar
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

got mine at that fish place
msebar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 08:13 PM   #214
bsantucci
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msebar View Post
got mine at that fish place
Yeah they are out of stock right now unfortunately and I need it for a tank build next week. May have to stick with Eco-Complete this time around.
bsantucci is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 11:00 PM   #215
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Wow, people are jumping on this bandwagon LOL.

Other than the color, what is the difference between ActiveFlora and say some other brand with a layer of laterite and root tabs first? Is this just about the color and size?

it's funny, I have seen that Fantasy Bowl site before but stayed away because can't get it local and it advertises it simply as decorative.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 11:55 PM   #216
kman
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefStatic View Post
Wow, people are jumping on this bandwagon LOL.

Other than the color, what is the difference between ActiveFlora and say some other brand with a layer of laterite and root tabs first? Is this just about the color and size?

it's funny, I have seen that Fantasy Bowl site before but stayed away because can't get it local and it advertises it simply as decorative.
In the end, they're all just rocks. The main differences to me is color, consistency, and weight.

The color of the black Activ-Flora is simply fantastic. Of course, you can also get great deep black with a good black sand, but the AF gives a different look. Sand is a PITA is some ways (although great in others). I prefer AF.

Consistency is fairly unique to AF, compared to anything else I've personally seen. Much smaller particles than Eco Complete or actual "gravel" of the more common variety... but not so small as sand, or even the large grain sands.

Weight is good. Despite the small particle size, the particles are much heavier than Eco Complete and others.

Weight and consistency combine to determine how easy it is to plant in. AF strikes an excellent balance, IMO, between too fine and too large, and it's not too light (like Eco), all of which helps make it great for planting in.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:57 PM   #217
bsantucci
Planted Tank Enthusiast

How would you compare it in consistency to eco complete fine grade? That's what I use now and I think from pictures it looks very similar.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2014, 12:01 AM   #218
kman
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsantucci View Post
How would you compare it in consistency to eco complete fine grade? That's what I use now and I think from pictures it looks very similar.
I actually haven't seen fine grade Eco yet, in person. If it's just like normal Eco but smaller particles (my suspicion), I would think the weight issue would be worse, if anything.

If it's heavier than normal Eco, then it's probably comparable. Except perhaps from a color standpoint. (although again, I have yet to see fine grade Eco in person)
Old 04-16-2014, 12:05 AM   #219
bsantucci
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
I actually haven't seen fine grade Eco yet, in person. If it's just like normal Eco but smaller particles (my suspicion), I would think the weight issue would be worse, if anything.

If it's heavier than normal Eco, then it's probably comparable. Except perhaps from a color standpoint. (although again, I have yet to see fine grade Eco in person)
Cool thanks. It is just smaller much like sand but with some larger reddish pieces mixed in. I haven't had any weight issues all my plants stay in. I hoped to try activ flora this time but with it sold out everywhere I guess next time I'll try.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2014, 11:41 PM   #220
Catf1sh
Algae Grower

What I wanna see is a battle of Miracle Gro OGPM vs Activ Flora black. Now I know the dirt would probably whoop Activ's a$$, but still I'd wanna see how it fares against the dirt giant. Oh, and a sand or gravel substrate as a control, if anyone has the stuff to do this please make it happen :P.

I just have the one 180litre tank heavily planted and already setup, it's gone through three different substrates over the years. Now running JBL Aquabasis plus with Manado as a cap, but after reading this thread I WANT Activ Flora!! Just don't know where to start looking for it :-/.
Catf1sh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 11:55 PM   #221
dru
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catf1sh View Post
What I wanna see is a battle of Miracle Gro OGPM vs Activ Flora black..
Apples to oranges
dru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 08:14 AM   #222
NanoDave
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
Apples to oranges
I agree, you can't compare the two as they are completely different things. No doubt dirt will grow better than any inert substrate. Personally I would never use dirt for the simple fact that you can't rescape or pull plants without potential hazards. I saw/heard first hand of a friends gorgeous show tank's cap getting broken and lost everything within a day and for that simple fact I stick to inert substrates with root tabs. I personally feel Activ-Flora is as good as it gets for an inert substrate. It's the no fuss, no mess, no decomposing, easy to plant, heavy weight, all around great substrate I've always wanted. It's to me become a fail safe substrate that I know I will have amazing success with everytime with great ease.

12G Rimless Club

*Everybody has too much of something...me? I have fish tanks.*
NanoDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 08:45 PM   #223
gryz

Anybody know if there is a grain size difference between the Black or Red Floracor versus the light colored Floralite?

The Floralite seems smaller from the picture but can't be sure.
gryz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 09:50 PM   #224
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

I will stick with FloraMax. I went with it because I felt it was blacker than EcoComplete and jsut as good.

I would give ActivFlora a chance if I could find it locally. I almost want to say a small true LFS here might have ActivFlora, if they do, I will let people know so maybe he can ship some out, since it seems to be hard to find.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2014, 05:57 PM   #225
RAGEo2
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Default Tic Toc...

I'm with FishStix, this is becoming ridiculous. I place an order using Paypal and that was canceled days later. Did it again and same outcome. I called and they told me that Paypal will automatically cancel the purchase if the item has not shipped in 6 days. So I placed an order over the phone using my CC. So it has been WEEKS waiting.

On the bright side, I look at it as gaining self control for when I start a Dry start method. I want to hold out for at least 6 weeks before flooding. I'm hoping for a nice HC carpet.
RAGEo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
activflora, eco-complete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.