Ellie's no-tech planted tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-27-2014, 02:44 PM   #1
Ellie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ellie's no-tech planted tank

So I am buzzing today. I have been researching low/no tech tanks people make out of containers and I just NEEDED to try it out. But I wanted something big enough for a nice piece of wood that I can attach lots of anubias to as Ive falled in love with the one in my main tank.

Scoured the internet and couldnt find much. Went to local garden centre, nothing on main display, but I noticed some glass containers they used to put stuff they sell in. Asked about it and they pulled one out from underneath the table!!!

It is 11" high and 12" in diameter. its a pint glass in the pic for comparison.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0877.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	296113

So my ideas:
- get a really nice piece of wood and attach some anubias and moss
- I have a load of spare plants in my tank I can use, mainly Nymphoides and Myriophyllum mattogrossense (green and red)
- I could make it into a riparium by somehow elevating a portion of it and planting some species that like it all boggy. I have seen people use egg crate alot but not sure where to get this from???
- Id like to eventually put some cherry shrimp in there

So what are peoples thoughts/suggestions? Any species you recommend?

I can see this taking a while to come together but it is so exciting. Im going to go shopping for a nice piece of wood tomorrow.

Last edited by Ellie; 04-11-2014 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: change of title
Ellie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2014, 10:26 AM   #2
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

That container is about perfect. About a month ago I was looking for something like that. Took me literally 3 weeks to find one in NYC flower district and then had it shipped across the USA.

I have a similar idea to yours: I wanted a central island with a 'mountain' with plants coming out if it in a circular fan shape. I built the island and the mountain out of small black lava rocks, surrounded by white sand (I believe you saw my 'creation').

The problem that I run into is that the lava rock is not heavy enough: it is a pain to keep the mountain shape, and an even bigger pain to have the submerged plants to stay put. Having that pile of rocks hold emmersed plants (especially vertically) proved to be above my pain tolerance.

The very initial idea was actually to place a ~3" diameter x ~10" high clear container in the center, fill it with lava rock and plant the emmersed plants inside, and then build the island / mountain around it. I could not find such a container and decided to give the current construction a try.

Part of the difficulty with the central planter is that it has to have (at least in my mind) holes / slits to allow for some water circulation between it and the water in the main tank. So, finding a glass one with holes proved to be fruitless.

Given my personal dissatisfaction with the current build, I am back to my original idea of the central planter, but now with less haste and with more planning.

My current plan is to either find clear PVC pipe, cut it to the desired height and then hand drill the holes (not looking forward to that process) or to have one custom made out of Acrylic or similar material (not looking forward to the cost).

So, that's where I am at with my 'tank' - please keep my ideas secret .

v3
Old 04-10-2014, 10:33 AM   #3
teddo10
Algae Grower

Google Wabi kusa 8>)
teddo10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
OVT
Carpe Diem

Thanks, but Wabi kusa is too shallow for what I want

v3
Old 04-10-2014, 11:01 PM   #5
chan1011
Algae Grower

That looks lovely, I definitely want to try the same thing!!
Old 04-11-2014, 08:10 PM   #6
Ellie
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
That container is about perfect. About a month ago I was looking for something like that. Took me literally 3 weeks to find one in NYC flower district and then had it shipped across the USA.

I have a similar idea to yours: I wanted a central island with a 'mountain' with plants coming out if it in a circular fan shape. I built the island and the mountain out of small black lava rocks, surrounded by white sand (I believe you saw my 'creation').

The problem that I run into is that the lava rock is not heavy enough: it is a pain to keep the mountain shape, and an even bigger pain to have the submerged plants to stay put. Having that pile of rocks hold emmersed plants (especially vertically) proved to be above my pain tolerance.

The very initial idea was actually to place a ~3" diameter x ~10" high clear container in the center, fill it with lava rock and plant the emmersed plants inside, and then build the island / mountain around it. I could not find such a container and decided to give the current construction a try.

Part of the difficulty with the central planter is that it has to have (at least in my mind) holes / slits to allow for some water circulation between it and the water in the main tank. So, finding a glass one with holes proved to be fruitless.

Given my personal dissatisfaction with the current build, I am back to my original idea of the central planter, but now with less haste and with more planning.

My current plan is to either find clear PVC pipe, cut it to the desired height and then hand drill the holes (not looking forward to that process) or to have one custom made out of Acrylic or similar material (not looking forward to the cost).

So, that's where I am at with my 'tank' - please keep my ideas secret .

v3
hehe, my lips are sealed

im very inexperienced to DIY fish and tank stuff, but could you perhaps use some aquarium sealant to glue the rocks in place in the middle of them, so there wouldnt be any of it on the 'outskirts' so places for the plants. I have no idea, just a thought.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:14 PM   #7
Ellie
Algae Grower

Went to fish shop today and bought some lovely wood. My plan is to try and stack the pieces so that it makes a bigger structure and also so it comes out of the water. They are in a bucket soaking overnight then I will attach moss tomorrow.

Name:	IMAG0933.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	304050

Name:	IMAG0935.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	304058

Name:	IMAG0936.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	304066
Old 04-13-2014, 03:13 PM   #8
Ellie
Algae Grower

And a couple of zip ties later....

Name:	IMAG0938.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	304586

So this is my plan.

Name:	plan.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	304594

Initially I was going to put some aquarium soil in the bottom for the plants, but now I want to just use stones and Java moss, have moss completely cover the bottom in time.

I have lots of java fern babies in my main tank which I will harvest when they are bigger and attach to some of the rocks on the base of the tank. Where the red circles are I will attach Anubia nana. On the branches I will attach Christmas moss and hopefully in not too long that will cover alot of the wood.

I have a sponge holder which will double up as a riparium planter when its time to start adding in some emersed plants. Although I saw someone on here who just tied theirs to the wood, so I may try this instead of having something artificial in there. But that is a long way off.

Time to attach some moss...
Old 04-13-2014, 09:33 PM   #9
henrietta
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

great piece of wood! can't wait to see more
Old 04-13-2014, 11:57 PM   #10
OVT
Carpe Diem

Looks like a horse

v3
Old 04-14-2014, 09:53 AM   #11
Ellie
Algae Grower

Moss is on (sorry the pics arent great there are still lots of bubbles from when I filled it up)

Name:	IMAG0939.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	305234

Name:	IMAG0941.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	305242

Name:	IMAG0942.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	305250

I may end up lowering the water level a bit to make it a bit more favoured towards the emersed plant side of things, but for now I will just give the moss time to attach itself and grow

The light is temporary whilst I wait for my parents to visit and bring up my lovely lever arch light which will look so much better than a clip light attached to an old mail box :P
Old 04-15-2014, 08:47 PM   #12
themaninthesuit
Algae Grower

Wow, it's looking amazing! good luck and keep us posted!
Old 04-29-2014, 10:23 AM   #13
Ellie
Algae Grower

Big change of plan. Even though I had an air stone moving the water around a bit, and also doing water changes everything was getting a bit icky. I expected the white fuzz on my wood and that came and I cleaned it off, but after that the wood was constantly slimy. The moss wasnt looking great at all, and I was worried it would just melt away and die. I think it was because I didnt have many plants acting as a natural filter, but at the time I didnt have any spare plants I could put in to act as one.

Not wanting the moss to die, and also having had a huge urge to change my DT scape around a bit for a while now, I borrowed the wood from this and put it into my main tank.

Pic if youre interested. Sorry its not the best it is a phone pic and also there is always glare when I try to take full scape shots. There is a bit more of the tank to the right that hasnt got into the picture. But I think the new wood looks pretty cool, and the long thin branch that bends down should make an awesome bridge/tunnel when the moss grows in.

Name:	IMAG0952.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	313266

Im still going to do this bowl as I love it, I just need a new plan.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:28 AM   #14
OVT
Carpe Diem

For the vase, I would start it full of plants and a lot of floaters. You can do it.

v3
Old 04-29-2014, 11:40 AM   #15
Ellie
Algae Grower

yep i understand thats what i needed now that i made the mistake not having it. but now that ive done the rescape on my main tank i have tonnes of plants spare which is good. also the garden centre has started selling pond plants and i think i saw some Salvinia natans last time i looked which would be good to have.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.