Noah's 40B Rainbow Garden - Page 12
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-10-2014, 11:52 PM   #166
biotopium
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looks awesome. Love the way you brought those pieces of wood together. Looks almost like large tree roots.
biotopium is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2014, 05:40 AM   #167
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biotopium View Post
Looks awesome. Love the way you brought those pieces of wood together. Looks almost like large tree roots.
Sweet, thank you that is exactly what I was going for. Tom Barr supplied the wood, he has a great eye for pieces and will find something to match what you have in mind.
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:04 AM   #168
Aurie
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

This give some hope for my 55 Rainbow tank I plan on doing. I know it's not as deep as a 40 but it's a bit longer. I'm making a new home for my Parkinsoni Male who needs some friends. I really want the Melanotaenia splendida tatei at my LFS but they want $20 for just 1.. I love the tourquois that you have. I like the ones that are multi colored as well like the tatei. I saw a picture of a checkered rainbow. Geesh, gorgeous. Some day!

I was worried a 55 was too small for some of the rainbows like the turquoise or the bosemani. What do you think?
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:17 AM   #169
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurie View Post
This give some hope for my 55 Rainbow tank I plan on doing. I know it's not as deep as a 40 but it's a bit longer. I'm making a new home for my Parkinsoni Male who needs some friends. I really want the Melanotaenia splendida tatei at my LFS but they want $20 for just 1.. I love the tourquois that you have. I like the ones that are multi colored as well like the tatei. I saw a picture of a checkered rainbow. Geesh, gorgeous. Some day!

I was worried a 55 was too small for some of the rainbows like the turquoise or the bosemani. What do you think?
Keep your eyes out on Aquabid or post in the eggchange on Rainbow-fish.org, I bet someone I the rainbow forums have the Tatei, and a much better fish than you will ever see in a fish store.

bows really like length over height and width. As long as they have enough swimming room they are happy. I probably would do no more than a pair of the smaller bosmani groups (Aitinjo) in a 40b A 55gal should be fine for a smaller group of the larger bows like the parkinsoni and standard bosmani. The Lacustrus (turquoise) are actually a very good fit for a 55g, they are more of a medium sized bow.

Thanks for the compliment
Old 04-14-2014, 05:41 AM   #170
adive
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Any picture updates Noah? Thx.
adive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:49 AM   #171
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by adive View Post
Any picture updates Noah? Thx.
Not yet, I will try to take a few pictures tomorrow, getting good growth though
Old 05-04-2014, 02:54 AM   #172
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Ok, I think the tank is in a condition where I can try to start showing pictures.

I have been battling GDA, tannins from the wood and small amounts of BGA since setting up the tank. I think I am starting to get a hand up on the algae, we will see. the BGA is a pain in the rear let me tell you. lol

I have also been having to fiddle with the fertilizers I am now at a HUGE amount of KNo3, a large amount of kh2p04 and a decent amount of trace. along with some extra iron to supplement.

I started loosing lower leaves on the stems, having yellowing spots on my anubias, and poor growth. I upped all my fertilizers to see if one of them was the culprit, we will find out in a couple weeks. Even my hygro sunset was having problems with melting leaves and that plant can grow in the darkness of space. My crypts are slowing the melt because of the new water conditions. The hersitua carpet is slowly starting to spread, but also battling the BGA every week as well. the showpiece of the tank (franz stoffels) is looking great, although the new growth is not near as red as it was when I first planted the tank (I blame the lack of kno3 for the red) hopefully once things settle a bit more I can start to regain some of that color. Fish are doing pretty well. I have my male herbertaxelrodi in the Q-tank due to a nasty nose infection he got. he is doing much better after a anti-fungal and antibiotic treatment. I am just waiting for him to heal up better before adding him back to the tank. I lost one of my female m.pygmea. the only explanation is that she somehow squeezed her way into one of my power heads. All I found was a headless body I may grab another one or get an egg mop this summer and get some more of those little beauties in the tank. Once I get the fertilizers figured out again, and the plants growing right will start increasing the density of my plant groupings and start working at getting some mound shapes out of em.

Well enough chit chat, here are a few pictures.
Franz Stoffels

ludwigia 'cuba'

new addition linderina var.

hirsitua spreading

stellatus

full tank shot left

full tank shot

and an extra, my succulent pot garden for work planted today.
one catus, a hens and chicks and several species of sedum.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:01 AM   #173
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

It's filling in really nicely despite your algae struggles!

Are you doing Excel at all? I find it REALLY helpful with new startups, both for the plants and especially to help knock back some of the initial algae outbreaks.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:04 AM   #174
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
It's filling in really nicely despite your algae struggles!

Are you doing Excel at all? I find it REALLY helpful with new startups, both for the plants and especially to help knock back some of the initial algae outbreaks.
I did for the first week. I kinda ran out lol. I need to get back and get another bottle. I found it does great for algae control as well. My last iteration of the tank I did a full week where I dosed twice the normal amount, it kept any BBA in check, and the water stayed pretty clear. I think I will have to start that up again, at least until the algae is under control.

I am also trying to figure out where all of my co2 is going. I swear I only got a month out of my 5lb bottle this past fill, I looked for leaks and did not find any. So I am not sure if I am just using that much and off gassing because of my surface agitation or what. We will see how long the 10lb lasts.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:55 AM   #175
pianofish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Tanks is looking awesome man! What is hersitua? That carpet looks an aweful lot like my Marselia crenata. Is it a similar species?
pianofish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:04 AM   #176
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianofish View Post
Tanks is looking awesome man! What is hersitua? That carpet looks an aweful lot like my Marselia crenata. Is it a similar species?

Thanks!

Yea its almost identical. Just another species of dwarf four leaf clover. Seems to do better than the other versions for me for some reason.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2014, 04:48 AM   #177
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

non regular update time lol.

The tank is doing much better. Algae is starting to come under control. I still have this pesky brown fuzz algae forming in my dwarf four leaf clover area, and some thicker green dust algae forming on some of the lower leaves. BGA is gone, took some anti-biotics to do it, but its gone. The stellatus has bounced back, and is growing VERY well, its no longer dropping its lower leaves. The franz stoffels is growing very well and very fast, I am having to trim some of the larger leaves off to make sure it does not choke out the rest of the tank lol. the hygro sunset was suffering a bit as well, but has since bounced back. Really the only plant that has yet to normalize its growth is the ludwigia cuba. It just does not want to grow. I have what is left spread around the tank hoping that one of the stems will show me where it wants to grow. I have added some more crypts thanks to a petsmart putting the older stock of the gell plants on sale for the next shipmet. So I got two packs at around 1.50 each lol. They are now planted front and center and starting to throw out leaves as quick as crypts do.

Sad note though, I lost my male herbertaxelrodi, he has been with me through a couple tanks for 3-4 years. He injured his nose about a month ago, and I had not caught on until it was red, and swollen enough to where he could not close his mouth easily. I quickly moved him into the Q tank and started treating it. I thought I was getting the upper hand, and finished the treatment. He looked as if he was going to bounce back fairly quickly, but alas the infection began to get worse again. I tried to fight it with some stronger meds, but he started to get thin from not being able to eat easily, and I made the decision to put him down last night. I used clove oil in a dark bucket and he passed with no stress at all. He was probably the most colorful bow I have had, and was the dominant male. I am going to start looking at the LFS and see who can get me a couple males, and a couple females and see if I can get some that are good quality hopefully to get that bright yellow back in the tank. I might start trying to breed the pygmeya here soon, it would be nice to get a few more of them in the tank too. I have quite a bit of filtration on the tank so the slight over stock is not too concerning to me.

No pictures this time, but I did make a corny video lol. Next time I am going to switch off the back lights on the tank, hopefully it will help me get a less oversaturated video, and the front light only really pulls out the colors in the nigrans, which is VERY hard to catch on video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm7UqkD-nU8

Last edited by Noahma; 05-25-2014 at 04:59 AM.. Reason: embedding did not work
Old 05-25-2014, 07:32 PM   #178
Curt_914
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Noah, what kind of crypts? Do you have any intresting?

EHEIM #524 CLASSIC 2217, AUTO FEEDER

55 Gallon Tank:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=193422

20H Shrimp Tank: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=194165
Curt_914 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:08 AM   #179
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt_914 View Post
Noah, what kind of crypts? Do you have any intresting?
I know I have green gecko, undulate, and tropica sunset. and Parva, nothing too out of the ordinary.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:55 AM   #180
Curt_914
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Do you have any of the tropica sunset you can part with?

EHEIM #524 CLASSIC 2217, AUTO FEEDER

55 Gallon Tank:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=193422

20H Shrimp Tank: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=194165
Curt_914 is online now   Reply With Quote