Using compact fluorescents in an incandescent hood
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 04-06-2004, 06:29 PM   #1
canadian_eh
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi there,

I'm looking an converting my existing 10G tank into a planted tank. Until I find out if I've got a green thumb or not I don't want to spend too much on the conversion.

On the lighting side I currently have an older incandescent hood. I picked up a couple of compact fluorescent bulbs from Home Depot that just screw in. Will they will do the trick? Don't know what K they are. Also in terms of wattage, they are 13watts each but say that they are equivalent to 60watts...which number should I use for the 2-3watt/gallon calculation?

Thanks for any help.
canadian_eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2004, 07:34 PM   #2
szacherau
Algae Grower

Always use the real wattage. So in your case 13 watts each. 26 watts is low to mid lighting and there are plenty of plants to choose from that will do well with that much. My only concern would be the light rating. The compact that fit the edison screw in socket don't often give the rateings so you really don't know what kind of light you are dealing with. I would worry the lighting would be to yellow.

Hope that helps
szacherau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 08:30 PM   #3
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

Supposedly the color temp doesn't matter to the plants. I'm not convinced of that just yet, but here's a few tips: coralife makes a 10 watt, 6700k screw in power compact. Also, some Wal Marts carry a $5 knock-off of the coralife bulbs, so you might check them too. I think all-glass makes a 10,000k screw in PC, which would grow plants too.
Since a 10 gallon is kind of shallow, you might get some pretty good growth with just 20watts. I have 23watts over a 15Tall, and my cabomba is doing well...as is the algae.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 01:18 PM   #4
canadian_eh
Algae Grower

Thanks for the comments. I'll be picking up 2 of the all-glass ones today. The ones from Home Depot were only 2700K.
canadian_eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 03:30 PM   #5
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Are those the "Marathon" bulbs? If so they will work, but they certainly arent the best. I used to use 4 of those over my 22 gallon. It worked pretty well, but I found that the colour was far to red then I prefered.

Panasonic also makes a decent screw in CF bulb, I've used them with pretty good results.
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote