Wet/Dry filter to Canister filter
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 04-09-2014, 03:51 AM   #1
svkr2k
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Wet/Dry filter to Canister filter

Hi all,
There is currently a diy wet/dry filter sump in my setup. I would like to change it to a canister filter. I hope that it would be safe to do it in the following steps:
1. Take half of filter media from existing wet/dry filter and add them to the canister.
2. Run the canister along with wet/dry filter for 2 weeks.
3. Transfer the remaining filter media from wet/dry and add it to the canister and remove the wet/dry filter out of the system.
hope this procedure is fine?
if this info helps: 44gallon, low light planted tank, fish load is currently max.
svkr2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2014, 03:07 PM   #2
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Is this a stable tank that has been running for a fair amount of time? This would give lots of good bacteria located all through the tank on walls, substrate, and decor. That would make it totally safe to do what you propose. Sounds like a very good, prudent plan. The only reason to doubt might be if it was a newish tank where the bacteria seems somewhat more "fragile". Even then it is a good plan but might need closer watching.
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:04 AM   #3
green18
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I just did this same transition and simply did a 100% transfer. It is too early to report but so far things appear fine.
green18 is offline   Reply With Quote