Dutch aquariums - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 01-31-2014, 03:15 AM   #31
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
ua hua - DEAL!

I've been doing a lot of variations on the same tank, getting into a safe rut. So maybe time is right to accept a new challenge in this hobby.

I've recently pulled a lot of crypts out of my 40 and replaced them with S. repens. A bit of a test to see how they will respond to my PAR38 Led pendents, MTS, Non CO2 tank. If that goes well, next would be to figure out how to work some of my existing java fern in(if Java fern is acceptable)

Also need to locate the Old school Dutch rules. That would be what I'd go for the retro 60's/70's Dutch style tank. Groovey!!
Here's a good thread from UKAPS that will give you the basics to the Dutch style.

http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/c...ascaping.8713/

and this:

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...aping-articles

go down and check out the ebay guide that is linked since I can't link to it on here
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2014, 04:03 AM   #32
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (255/100%)

Check out the AGA's Wim's talk on the topic of older Dutch style aquariums, best planted talk I've ever seen to date. "2001, Wim van Drongelen speaking on the Dutch aquascaping style"

He had many older pics.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:34 AM   #33
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Thanks ua hua & Tom for the links
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #34
MamaJu
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Default Dutch Challenge

Thank you for all the links and information on dutch style aquariums. I am a "square foot" gardener and the dutch style really appealed to me. I'm a newbie and feel that I have lots to learn. I really wanted to try the dutch style but was having a difficult time finding information.

I was inspired so I started my own dutch challenge...

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...89#post5250489

Last edited by MamaJu; 02-06-2014 at 04:15 AM.. Reason: Moving to my own journal
MamaJu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:25 PM   #35
zetvi
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJu View Post
Thank you for all the links and information on dutch style aquariums. I am a "square foot" gardener and the dutch style really appealed to me. I'm a newbie and feel that I have lots to learn. I really wanted to try the dutch style but was having a difficult time finding information.

I have challenged myself to working through this dutch aquascape and am open to any constructive feedback and guidance.

Week 1:
I am still in the process of planting but here is my attempt at the traditional dutch style with modifications...
1) it's a 75 gallon, not a 90
2) I can't afford the cabinet so it is what it is
3) I am in the process of figuring out how to make a java fern or moss wall. Where do you get the foam board backing for the back wall??
4) If there is supposed to be 1 plant per 10 cm width and my tank is 48 inches or approximately 121.92 cm wide, I think I'm supposed to only have 12 to 14 stem varieties of plants, right? Does that include the plants I use as "streets"?
5) I need help with lighting. I have the zoomed aqua sun ho led but I don't really feel that it's sufficient. I tried to read the many threads on the forum but feel overwhelmed. Any suggestions?
6) so I tried to follow the focal point guideline... Hopefully it's noticeable I drew lines all over the front of the aquarium trying to get the 1/3 measurements just right so if it's not apparent as they grow in then I will need to make some adjustments.
7) some of the plants are from existing tanks I have, others are from my lfs and some from the big chain pet stores. Unfortunately I don't know all the names of the plants so I don't know the growth rates. Only time will tell. I suspect that the plant with the purple flowering buds isn't even aquatic, even though it was sold that way at the chain pet store. I'll need help identifying it. Are there aquatic plants that flower underwater? I'll be ecstatic if there are

So who else is up for the dutch challenge
No red plants?
zetvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:57 PM   #36
MamaJu
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Sorry for the poor photo yes, there are 2 red plant varieties. There is an itty bitty red tiger lotus at the 1/3 bottom left. And I planted some red stem plants that I think are Ludwigia glandulosa at the 1/3 top right. Can you see it yet?

I'm not sure if it's the lighting, my iPad camera, or if I need to add ferts to the tank that makes it difficult to find the red plants. (I just set this tank up so I wasn't sure if adding ferts was ok). Having said that, should I rethink the location or plant choice?

I am open to any suggestions for plants selections and hopefully I can find it for a reasonable price.
MamaJu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:36 AM   #37
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

After searching for any info on the ways of trimming and pruning Dutch type scapes I came across this video. While it might make some of you squirm going to town to your nicely grown in tank with a pair of scissors this is required to keep a nice and manicured scape. I have came to the conclusion that the best info and videos I have been able to find are from the European aquarists.

And another one. Don't expect to understand a word they say unless you happen to speak their language.

All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
Old 04-13-2014, 03:53 AM   #38
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua hua View Post

And another one. Don't expect to understand a word they say unless you happen to speak their language.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phkcm15ay4A
I understand both videos perfectly; it's Polish.
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:10 AM   #39
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
I understand both videos perfectly; it's Polish.
Well then you don't mind translating them do you

I'm just kidding. It's pretty easy to understand just by watching. I have found way more inspiration and beautiful tanks just by strictly watching videos that are from European hobbyists. Everybody thinks to watch the ADA videos even though they can't understand them but why not ones from Europe.

Here's another nice looking one.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:16 AM   #40
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

How come those Dutch tanks don't have the plants swaying in the water current? Do they usually have lower water flow? I'm impressed that the lower leafs don't have a spec of algae on them. The growth is very healthy over all, something that I struggle with. It doesn't look like they have very high lighting either, amazing tanks.
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:54 AM   #41
Jnad
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hello!

I would love to have a Dutch tank in my livingroom, but is there anyone that have done this with smaller tanks? I am thinking 15 gallons and down?

If i am going to try a Dutch tank i have to do a compromise with my familyI dont want to be thrown out i am on the edge already
Jnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:54 AM   #42
Jnad
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have a empty tank with dimmensions 60x30x30cm, is it too small? Is it better with a higher tank for a Dutch setup?
Jnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:35 PM   #43
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua hua View Post
Well then you don't mind translating them do you

I'm just kidding. It's pretty easy to understand just by watching. I have found way more inspiration and beautiful tanks just by strictly watching videos that are from European hobbyists. Everybody thinks to watch the ADA videos even though they can't understand them but why not ones from Europe.

Here's another nice looking one.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z8VaijfV1qQ

Yeah, European videos are usually my favorite since they do not mind telling you step by step exactly how they do it. I was watching a video the other day and the guy gave out his exact dosing regiment down the the gram per each fertilizer. Videos from other parts of the world tend to be more secretive and they do not reveal too much...I guess it's a culture thing or I just made a crazy assumption.
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #44
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
How come those Dutch tanks don't have the plants swaying in the water current? Do they usually have lower water flow? I'm impressed that the lower leafs don't have a spec of algae on them. The growth is very healthy over all, something that I struggle with. It doesn't look like they have very high lighting either, amazing tanks.
I was thinking the same thing when watching them. A lot of the Dutch scapes have very little if any surface movement. I think that they probably have higher turnover than you think but the flow rate is less. I have what I would consider quite a bit of surface movement and the flow is pretty strong. I may try to split my return line to help reduce some flow but still move the same volume of water.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:56 PM   #45
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I would like to make the argument for the colorful planted aquarium that is not the Dutch planted aquarium. It strikes me that many people grow plants in an arrangement that they refer to as sort of Dutch which in fact have nothing in common with Dutch rules but simply is a shorthand for colorful. It almost seems like there is a whole school of aquascaping that involves blending hardscape and color contrast that is simply dismissed as not being Dutch enough and not being Japanese enough but is never recognized as being a school in and of itself.
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote