Are you near Hot Springs?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Arkansas

Old 12-06-2013, 05:49 AM   #1
KribsDirect
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Are you near Hot Springs?

I live in Hot Springs and would like to start a monthly/Bimonthly meeting at the library for planted tank hobbyists. If you are interested in meeting for 30 min-1hr on a weekend, send me a reply with the following information and I will take care of the rest!

Your first name
Which weekend of the month generally works for you?
Your favorite type of plants!
If you don't frequent these forums too often, make sure to give me solid contact info, email or phone so I can notify you of the date! It will be well in advance. It is likely that we wouldn't even meet up until late January or February.

The meetings would be totally informal, just folks hanging out talking about the hobby. Aquascapers, vivarium/terrarium growers are welcome also! All ages and levels of experience are encouraged to reply. I am new to plants, but I feel like I am learning a lot online, and my tanks are doing great! I'd really like to be able to meet and swap knowledge with others in my area.

I plan to post a flyer or two at the LFS and Library after the new year.

I am mainly interested in the flora, but if it ends up being a fish club, that's cool too. Im sure that we all like fish! To my knowledge, no club of any sort exists.

Thanks for reading! Send me a reply if it sounds good!
What would be great is if someone with website experience could make one, or anyone good with Facebook maybe. I never got into social media.

Last edited by KribsDirect; 12-06-2013 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: n
KribsDirect is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2013, 05:53 AM   #2
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

The selection of plants is going to be very slim in Hot Springs. Petsmart usual only has the tubes. Petco seems to get an exotic
occasionally but is very limited otherwise. At least they have theirs in actual water/tanks. Of course they have the tubes also.
Marine world likely would be your best bet for plants. A true mom & pop it looks as though the mom takes care of the plants and
seem to order something different now and then. That leaves one more shop. Instead of saying don't, I'll say get it over with so
you don't need to again or wonder any longer.
The manager of Petsmart seems to have a good knowledge of tanks as does a couple of the afternoon people at Petco(1xM+1xF).
As a teenager I lived in a much larger city and the selection was great. Perhaps the corporate downsizing thing has hit everyone
Little Rock(yea I know 65 miles one way) has a great shop for salt/freshwater fish/ponds especially and I'll admit I have been there
twice and not seen all the store yet for not really wanting to tease myself with the pond section.
Perhaps they have aquarium plants in the other section as they had very few in the section I was in.
All places are very limited on bulbs/LED lights around here but Marine World may get it for you if they don't have what you need.
If your price shopping you should be on-line anyway allowing for delivery time if you can wait. So mostly I get bulbs from
Doctors Foster & Smith as they are THE cheapest, at least in the short bulb category. Coralbandit said they had poor selection
but I think he was referring to the over 48" bulbs. BTW Marine World has a new bulb in T5 from 24" up. If you use them you
should check it out. He claims only 3 distributors in the U.S carry them now.
I work at a place here that thinks we need to work on shifts so I am only off every other weekend. I consider my tanks to be my
catch 22 as I "need" to go out to the woods and "collect" for them. But when the weather is foul like it is now...I "get to" sit
watching them inside when it's this weather. There ARE a couple of places IN town where you can collect from also.
I am not allowed over a ten G tank by the rulers of where I live. So I am constantly looking for small type plants. Even when
I'm forced to ditch them I sometimes bring home plants that I collect. I suppose It's not unique to this aria but I never saw
it before coming here. They have what I believe to be a relative of the Parrot feathers plant(?) here which only grows in
shallow water. It may grow in a 20" tank though. It grows up to the surface and across it. Does not stick up very high except
for the flowers. You need to trim it almost every other day. Would be great in one of those tanks which has the water not quite
up to the top and has logs sticking up out of the top of it.
Guess I've rambled on for long enough. Endless streams around here in the National Forest to explore this coming summer.
Raymond S. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2014, 06:06 PM   #3
Chris_Produces
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'm in NW Arkansas by the university. Just checking in
Chris_Produces is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2014, 03:06 PM   #4
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Planing a walk through a wooded aria and likely trip to pick up some stream plants either Saturday or Sunday morning. Generally in the Blakeley Dam aria.
Let me know by PM if interested Kribs...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.