All Fluval Spec Mods - Page 7
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-06-2014, 12:13 AM   #91
kman
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiefire702 View Post
I have a few berried females in my tank now. Can anyone tell me what size stainless mesh this is and where I could order online?
You can buy it here from user h4n just send him a PM or look for his for sale threads in the sales forums

Edit: Here is one of his threads re filter intake guards, he can sell the same stuff for the intake grill mod:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=496257

Last edited by kman; 03-06-2014 at 03:20 AM.. Reason: add link
kman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2014, 12:28 AM   #92
Lowcountry
Algae Grower

I recently cut a hole in the pump output tube. About half up, approx 1/8" diameter, and facing the heater. It has really helped with circulation and really helps distribute the heated water a lot better.
My spec used to hover around 73*. Now, it's right at78*--without adjusting anything.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2014, 12:59 AM   #93
Clasman

Anyone had a problem seeding there filter on a fluval spec v, 7'weeks down the line I am still getting high ammonia levels, 0 nitrite ,0 nitrate, for last 3 weeks pump been on high, but I don't think it's pulling down through the sponge and bio media , I have not. Blocked the small slit at the bottom, also water in pump chamber looks stagnant, there's also a sideways slit between sponge chamber and pump chamber, could between the two of these the media not getting water pulled through and killing of the bacteria, I did place some seeded floss from my big tank,
Clasman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2014, 01:27 AM   #94
bizzle
Algae Grower

I replaced the stock light on my Spec v with a Finnex planted + and switched out the sponge filter for a 3 section media basket made for the spec line and it works amazingly.
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2014, 02:29 AM   #95
Steindler63
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clasman View Post
Anyone had a problem seeding there filter on a fluval spec v, 7'weeks down the line I am still getting high ammonia levels, 0 nitrite ,0 nitrate, for last 3 weeks pump been on high, but I don't think it's pulling down through the sponge and bio media , I have not. Blocked the small slit at the bottom, also water in pump chamber looks stagnant, there's also a sideways slit between sponge chamber and pump chamber, could between the two of these the media not getting water pulled through and killing of the bacteria, I did place some seeded floss from my big tank,
Which way is your out nozzle pointed? Point it up to get the most turbulence. I plugged the bottom slit because I didn't want little shrimplets getting in there. Probably wouldn't be a good idea to plug the slit between sponge and the small compartment. I'd imagine water wouldn't circulate in there. If you look down on the sponge, do you see water circulating?

Besides the floss, have you added any food, ammonia to the tank for the bacteria to eat? Any fish in there?
Steindler63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2014, 04:45 AM   #96
Clasman

Have 5 endlers who now have 4 fry different females, had these in from start , so seeded the spec foam with colonised filter floss from my 125 litre tank, feed accordingly for the endlers, but now 6 weeks on still no drop in ammonia, or rise in nitrite or nitrate, even with all the water changes ammonia levels with the api test show 2 to 4 parts p m, never had such non seeding , pump now on high for few weeks , output nozzle is pointing up and towards front glass, but has a ring of coarse filter foam to diffuse the flow apart from the edge which moves the surface water just enough, in the fiter there is a slight swirl , but in the small chamber it looks. Stagnant but water does flow through the slit between chambers, any ideas
Clasman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 06:22 AM   #97
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)

Clasman pictures would be great. Where did you put your seeding material? I'd have you close the fail safe hole at the bottom first in order to get flow going at the top.
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2014, 12:58 AM   #98
grammaknits02
Algae Grower

I just set up a Fluval Spec V for blue velvet shrimp. Sitting at work today I got to thinking about ways that I could add my own media, as I would like to fill up with Seachem Matrix. I found a media basket online that is made specifically for the Fluval Spec, but it's 40.00!!! Way to expensive! So I pondered all afternoon and I think I've come up with a plan. When I get off work this evening I'm going to stop at Michael's and buy some of that plastic mesh that people use for crafts and cut that into the proper sizes to build a basket, then clip it together with plastic zipties. Anybody here have any thoughts as to why that wouldn't work as a media basket? I was thinking I would put some filter floss on the bottom, then my matrix and then top it off with a prefilter sponge.
grammaknits02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2014, 01:21 AM   #99
Steindler63
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammaknits02 View Post
I found a media basket online that is made specifically for the Fluval Spec, but it's 40.00!!!

I bought one of those baskets even though I felt it was too expensive also. I couldn't be happier. So much room for media! The only mod is a small plastic wedge I stick between the top/back of the basket to keep the basket pushed against the intake grate so my babies dont get lost in there. I also have sponge media on top and sides. They like to go in, snack and come back out. No where else to fit.

I'm not sure how the craft material you mentioned is but make sure it's sturdy enough.

regards,
Pete
Steindler63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2014, 01:27 AM   #100
BuddhaBoy
Algae Grower

I put a bag of purigen into the filter compartment and then put the filter bag in. The height of the filter now blocks the slits with the sponge.

I also did the lid mod to fit my finnex 18 inch and cut holes into the return line to reduce flow rate
BuddhaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2014, 02:38 AM   #101
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Thanks for the replies guys
Old 07-04-2014, 04:34 AM   #102
grammaknits02
Algae Grower

Yes...Thank you for the replies and for the great idea of wedging something behind the basket to keep the babies in! I'm going to do that as well. The plastic mesh is pretty sturdy...it will work well for what I want it to do. In a while I will post a pic of my new little tank.
grammaknits02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2014, 04:49 AM   #103
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Definitely post that pic. Welcome to TPT. Yeah I used plastic mesh
Old 07-04-2014, 06:20 AM   #104
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Has anybody here upgraded their lights? If so, PM me, I'd be interested in buying your stock light.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:15 PM   #105
Zellner

Just wanted to post how I plugged the hole at the bottom of the filter compartment. It was easy and can be done with water in the tank, which was the most important factor to me. I just cut a piece of electrical tape bigger than the hole itself and stuck it on the water colum side, yes it still sticks once it's wet. Barely visible, easy and cost effective.

Also I remember seeing a mod someone did with the stock light fixture. They made the day and night time blue leds come on at the same time, anyone have any info on that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140714_002258.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	345321  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140630_212610.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	345329  

Last edited by Zellner; 07-14-2014 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: Additional question
Zellner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.