Changing to substrate from gravel in established tank...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 02-25-2004, 05:00 PM   #1
taxlady
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi y'all!

I did a search on this topic, but didn't see anything specific to my "problem"...

One of my tanks has been running since May of '03 (50 gal flat-back hex). I actually have 3 mellon swords and a crypt "growing" in the plain old aquarium gravel for the last month. I would like to change it to a "normal" planted tank complete with my Flourite substrate.

Thus, my question:

Is there anyway to not have to remove all my fishies to exchange the regular aquarium gravel for the Flourite substrate? I realize I would have to rinse the Flourite well...

Has anyone done this? If so, could you please give me a sort of step-by-step synopsis on how to do this?

Thanks a bunch,
taxlady
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2004, 12:44 AM   #2
taxlady
Algae Grower

Hi otherwise,

Thank you for your reply...you were a great help! I have a couple questions...could you lend me a little more of your expertise, please?

1) When I siphon out water/gravel, I refill the tank with conditioned water - right? ops:

2) So my 'lil inmates aren't totally stressed, could I maybe move plants, etc. to one half of the tank and maybe do half at a time? Meaning, could I remove half the gravel, replace with substrate, replant, and do the other half? I'm willing to take a week or more to accomplish this...

3) One problem I have is that I have a Python. I don't have any large diameter hose...and how do you get it to "siphon"? ops: Could the Python work in some way?

Sheesh, I feel like a dummy here, but really love my fishy pets and don't want to unduly stress them. Any more help you can give me would be much appreciated.

Thanks again,
taxlady
Old 03-30-2004, 04:50 PM   #3
taxlady
Algae Grower

Just a quick update...

I setup my 37T tank using Flourite and added a few plants. When this has cycled, I will move my inmates from my 50 and change out the regular tank gravel for Flourite in the 50.

I did "season" the 37T tank with gunk from my Eheim filter from my other tank...cycling shouldn't take too long...

I did find out that when I setup the 37T that Flourite will really cloud things up for a bit! I rinsed it a couple times and then added it. Then filled the tank partially and syphoned that water out and repeated this about 5 times (also stirred the Flourite while doing this). Then I planted a few plants. Still was pretty funky looking for a while!

Since the water was so nasty looking, I have decided to just move my fishies to the 37T while I redo my 50.

At least going through this process with one tank, I know what to expect when I do the other one.

Cheers,
taxlady
Old 03-30-2004, 05:40 PM   #4
hubbahubbahehe
Wannabe Guru

you won't regret using the flourite, it's a great product.. good luck and best wishes!
Eheim Pimp Club Member #32
hubbahubbahehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 06:52 PM   #5
Anonymous
Planted Member

Hi hubbahubbahehe,

Could you or someone help me with these questions...

One of my Radican sword plants in the Flourite (37T) tank has a leaf that first turned reddish colored and now is yellowing.

I had added some Flourish (2-1/2 caps full) to the tank a few days ago and am wondering if I shouldn't have? That there are enough nutrients in the Flourite since I just set this tank up a couple weeks ago? And I am overfeeding the plants?

Any help will be appreciated!

taxlady
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 06:54 PM   #6
taxlady
Algae Grower

ops: I forgot to login! Sorry! The previous questions are from me, not "Guest".

taxlady
Old 03-30-2004, 06:56 PM   #7
hubbahubbahehe
Wannabe Guru

there is a possibility that it's an iron overdose, but we need to know more about your tank... If i were you I would post a topic in the general plant tank section and describe your setup more, best wishes taxlady (oh, and go easy on my taxes! )
Eheim Pimp Club Member #32
Old 03-31-2004, 03:30 PM   #8
taxlady
Algae Grower

Hi hubbahubbahehe!

Well... ops: The leaf on that Radican Sword is looking pretty good now. I am such a 'newbie' at planted tanks. When I left for work in the morning it was reddish colored. When I got home, it was kinda yellowish. This morning, I swear it had grown and is looking good - greening up, etc.

You will get a chuckle out of this: When my Mellon Swords first were planted in my 50, I thought the new leaves were dying leaves, so I pinched them off... ops: I finally figured out that those were new leaves and quit doing that! They are getting quite large and spreading out - probably partly due to my "pruning". :lol:

So, I promise not to get in a panic until the leaves are actually DEAD! :lol:

Oh, hey! You haven't sent me your tax information yet...April 15 is getting close, so send all info ASAP! :lol:

Thanks!
taxlady
Old 03-31-2004, 04:31 PM   #9
hubbahubbahehe
Wannabe Guru

hehe taxlady, one of the most valuable lessons I learned about this hobby is : (drum roll please)...........................

Patience is the key.

I can't tell you how many times I have had dying or unhealthy looking plants, but just left it alone, and 2 weeks to a month later, have it grow back will full force. Nature is amazing like that.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:55 PM   #10
taxlady
Algae Grower

Yeah, I'm not high on patience.

I got home from work a little while ago and that leaf is like a mutant leaf...it is now at least twice the size of the other ones and really looking good. Good thing I didn't "prune" it! :lol:

Thanks a bunch for your help!
(tired) taxlady (and my night is just starting!)