Flourite in 10 gallon planted tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 03-23-2014, 11:49 PM   #1
metsfan421
IT and Planted Aquariums

PTrader: (0/0%)

Flourite in 10 gallon planted tank

I just put Flourite in a 10 gallon tank last night, didn't wash it, as I thought that washing it would remove all the nutrients from the substrate. Now I see that others have completely washed theirs. Is it ok to wash it, and will it remove all the nutrients like I thought? The way it is now, it's like I dumped 5 pots of coffee into the tank. There's a lot of fluorite dust in the tank and you can't see anything. I bought a new HOB filter to see if it would help remove some of it but it doesn't seem to help all that much. Should I just take it out and put it through a strainer till the water is clear? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
metsfan421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2014, 12:00 AM   #2
pelphrey
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I washed my bags of it in a 5 gallon bucket. It wasn't really that bad to wash. Filled the buckets up, swished the substrate around. Poured water out.. Repeat. Once I could see through the water I added it to my tank. Put a cup in the tank, put the hose in the cup. Didn't cloud at all. If you can pull it out and wash it I would. Otherwise go invest in some filter floss and change it often.
pelphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:03 AM   #3
salix
Algae Grower

Just going through the same thing as you, although I put my in about two weeks ago, I did rinse mine a little bit, but yeah it was cloudy and residual dust all over. From what I've read you don't want to rinse it to much. Mine finally settled, I used felt as a filter media on my HOB filter and it worked really well taking out that fine dust.

Hope this helps!

Go here this lady has nailed it how to prep fluorite

http://vickisaquaticplace.com/fluorite.html
Old 03-24-2014, 12:38 AM   #4
houbanna
Planted Member

Don't clog up a new filter cartridge if u have one in there. Maybe try some cotton balls or something. not sure if cotton balls fibers will get loose but might clear it up if u have some.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:51 AM   #5
salix
Algae Grower

Felt i'm telling ya worked like a champ if you have a nearby craft store or I ordered mine on dr. foster and smith.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:33 AM   #6
metsfan421
IT and Planted Aquariums

I totally removed everything from the tank and washed it all. Including the two HOB filters, plants and fish. I put everything back in and the tank is clear. Hopefully I didn't rinse it too much, but it looks much better than before. I'll post some pics soon. Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:22 PM   #7
nutbags
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan421 View Post
I just put Flourite in a 10 gallon tank last night, didn't wash it, as I thought that washing it would remove all the nutrients from the substrate. Now I see that others have completely washed theirs. Is it ok to wash it, and will it remove all the nutrients like I thought? The way it is now, it's like I dumped 5 pots of coffee into the tank. There's a lot of fluorite dust in the tank and you can't see anything. I bought a new HOB filter to see if it would help remove some of it but it doesn't seem to help all that much. Should I just take it out and put it through a strainer till the water is clear? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Fluorite is inert it holds no nutrients at all however it has a high cation exchange capacity. Meaning the ferts you add to the water column will be drawn into the fluorite substrate as a source for plant roots to draw nutrients.
nutbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:23 PM   #8
metsfan421
IT and Planted Aquariums

I had no idea that fluorite was inert. There must be a lot of misinformation on the internet about it. Everything I read had me believing that it was high in nutrients, especially iron. Thanks for the tip!

Tags
flourite, substrate