Cerges' Reactor - DIY Inline CO2 Reactor - Page 48
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 02-28-2014, 05:25 PM   #706
rezco
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

The trickle column design is the standard in industry in absorbing CO2 - for example from power plant emissions.

It should also work in aquaria - provided its done right. Water should pour from the top and most of the media should be exposed to CO2 - not submerged or flooded. CO2 should be bubbling from the bottom - this could be done through a dip tube. A simple counter current setup.

If anyone's interested I can post a drawing or build one for the cost of parts.
rezco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2014, 07:01 PM   #707
Solcielo lawrencia
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
I think the issue isn't necessarily increased absorption, it's flow. Adding the bio balls and similar may help absorption, some, but it will lower your flow.
Lowered flow is the result of increased pressure, which helps absorption so it's not necessarily a bad thing.
Solcielo lawrencia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:53 PM   #708
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solcielo lawrencia View Post
Lowered flow is the result of increased pressure, which helps absorption so it's not necessarily a bad thing.
Definitely not a bad thing for co2 absorption but not necessarily a good thing for filtration, unless you have a lot of excess capacity to burn.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:33 PM   #709
Solcielo lawrencia
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
Definitely not a bad thing for co2 absorption but not necessarily a good thing for filtration, unless you have a lot of excess capacity to burn.
That's why on larger tanks, the reactor should be powered by it's own powerhead, not the canister filter's.
Solcielo lawrencia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:19 PM   #710
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solcielo lawrencia View Post
That's why on larger tanks, the reactor should be powered by it's own powerhead, not the canister filter's.
In theory, sure, but not everyone goes that route... and sometimes reactors are used on smaller tanks with lower flow canisters so the flow impediment is more noticeable.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:03 PM   #711
Donutz

Phew! I finally finished reading this thread (took a few days in my spare time). I went out last night and got all the parts I need for this but almost everything I got was brass due the extremely limited selecti
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:06 PM   #712
Donutz

Fail! I can't seem to edit my post.

I was saying that there is an extremely limited selection of PVC at my local big box stores, so almost everything I bought was brass. Aside from the weight, are there any issues with this? I have brass fittings feeding water to my refrigerator for drinking, so I'm assuming it is safe for my aquarium inhabitants too. Do I need to clean / treat the brass in any way before sending water through it to my aquarium?

Many thanks!
Old 03-09-2014, 10:36 PM   #713
rezco
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
Fail! I can't seem to edit my post.

I was saying that there is an extremely limited selection of PVC at my local big box stores, so almost everything I bought was brass. Aside from the weight, are there any issues with this? I have brass fittings feeding water to my refrigerator for drinking, so I'm assuming it is safe for my aquarium inhabitants too. Do I need to clean / treat the brass in any way before sending water through it to my aquarium?

Many thanks!
Brass contains copper, which may be toxic to inverts such as shrimp. It is also somewhat easily corroded under acidic conditions and reacts with chlorides -although the acidity produce by CO2 is not enough to be meaningful.

The primary concern is invert and fish toxicity.If you keep doing regular water changes its fine.

You can find virtually any brass pipe fitting in plastic form (HDPE or PVC) online.
rezco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:32 AM   #714
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezco View Post
The trickle column design is the standard in industry in absorbing CO2 - for example from power plant emissions.

It should also work in aquaria - provided its done right. Water should pour from the top and most of the media should be exposed to CO2 - not submerged or flooded. CO2 should be bubbling from the bottom - this could be done through a dip tube. A simple counter current setup.

If anyone's interested I can post a drawing or build one for the cost of parts.
Im a bit interested in this idea to see how it works?
newbieplanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:24 PM   #715
Donutz

I'll keep looking for PVC components. This is what I've ended up with so far...

Old 03-10-2014, 10:39 PM   #716
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:

This is nice. Id hook it up an run it for now, till u wanna change the pieces out. I was gonna do mine like this an run it to a spray bar but i kinda nervious it wount have enough pressure to run the spray bar. Anyway thats a great set up if i ever seen one.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:43 AM   #717
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Red face

Well i threw one of these on my tank just to see the out come an i guess its pretty cool. Over the past month my tank started getting worse with CO2 looking like "soda" in a cup, anyway i had a couple filters for a few months now an wanted to see how it goes diffushion an rha whole nine. So far so good the only difference i dint have which a few others had was lowering of the bubble count / output, its only been a day an it took 6hrs for my drop checkers to change a little bit. Thats already telling me that my CO2 either aint high enough or im loosing some along the lines somewhere. With my regular ceramic diffuser it only takes a few hrs i should have timed this to see HRS exact but i do know that by the time of shut down drop checkers are a light lime green almost yello an they stay like that till sometime between 12am-5:30am. My co2 comes on at about 7:30-8:00am lights come on at 9:00am an off at 7:30-8:00pm lights off about 9:00pm. Well on to my thrown together set up,
Another thing i liked was the plants pearling a lot which told me they were using CO2 at the time they were supposed to. Drawback to this setup is how it fills to the top with water, i feel like its gonna start leaking one night or day an my aquarium is right abouve me n my wifes bedroom so u can see how this would be bad. Also the fact that my house will be flooded from all 70gals from my tank, im gonna tighten everything up later today with all pvc parts or better looken ones anyway.

Last edited by newbieplanter; 03-16-2014 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: Added more info
Old 03-16-2014, 10:28 PM   #718
Josiah
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:

How much did it all cost you so I have a good estimate. :-)

My Ista Max Mix started leaking. (I haven't touched it, the attachments just decided to leak). So I have been looking into something that is of better quality.
Josiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:42 AM   #719
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezco View Post
Brass contains copper, which may be toxic to inverts such as shrimp. It is also somewhat easily corroded under acidic conditions and reacts with chlorides -although the acidity produce by CO2 is not enough to be meaningful.

The primary concern is invert and fish toxicity.If you keep doing regular water changes its fine.

You can find virtually any brass pipe fitting in plastic form (HDPE or PVC) online.
Do u have a link to places where to get the PVC pieces/fittings?
Old 03-24-2014, 01:44 AM   #720
m00se
Wannabe Guru

http://www.usplastic.com/
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote