My Permanent Mod: Finnex Planted+ for hanging
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 03-21-2014, 05:08 AM   #1
ConfidentBlue
Obsession or Addiction?

PTrader: (10/100%)
Lightbulb

My Permanent Mod: Finnex Planted+ for hanging

Hello everyone,

I've searched high and low for DIY hanging ideas for Finnex Fixtures since some of us like to suspend our lights rather than using the stock tank mounts. During my search, I found some good ideas however very few of them ever looked as clean and OEM as I would have liked.

With that said, I had an extra hanging kit laying around from one of my BML Fixtures and absolutely love the kit and how clean it looks so I decided to try and modify my 12" Finnex Planted+ to use it.

This light will be going over my newly acquired ADA 45P (for now).

Things you will need for this modification:
  • BML hanging kit, or something similar (kit sells for $24.99)
  • Drill or Drill Press (I used a drill press but as long as the housing is secured you should be fine)
  • Drill bits that can be used with metal (I use Dewalt Pilot Point Titanium) in
    *1/2"
    *5/32
  • Center Punch (Optional)
  • Phillips head screw driver that will fit the end cap screw holes.
  • Tape Measure
  • Safety Glasses
  • Patience

Keep in mind, this Mod requires you to open up your Finnex light, remove the led strip and electrical (which is easy as pie) and drill into the fixture housing itself. THIS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY. I am NOT responsible or liable for your light, tools or your safety. Always use caution with power tools

Now for the fun! I did not take photos of me removing the end caps and electrical, its pretty self explanatory. There are two screws on each end cap, and two screws holding the LED strip to the fixture. The electrical is tucked above the LED Strip in the fixture. Be careful when removing the electrical as to not bend or cut anything and set it aside. Place the screws in a secure place so you don't loose them.

Next, break out your tape measure and measure from the end of each side to where you would like the hanging kit to mount to the fixture. I measured 1.5"s from the end on each side and marked the bottom of the fixture where the LED Strip was originally with a permanent marker. (Be mindful of where the OEM screw holes are for the LED strip, DO NOT DRILL OVER THESE OR REMOVE THEM.

Next I grabbed my handy dandy center punch and created a small divot on each mark so my drill bit wouldn't wobble around.

Next I went to my garage, put the 1/2" drill bit into the drill press and secured it tightly in the bit of the press.

I laid down a shop rag over the drill press table, laid my fixture housing upside down to where the flat portion where the LED Strip was mounted to was facing up, centered the drill bit down to the center punched divot, and secured it tightly to the table.

Turn on the drill press and slowly begin lowering it down, use light pressure once it's cutting into the metal. Keep putting light pressure until the hole is completely through the first layer of metal then bring it down slightly to the very bottom of the fixture (which is the physical top of the fixture when mounted right) and lightly create a small divot into the metal. Be VERY careful here, the top of the fixture is very thin. You can skip this part if you'd like to be on the safe side.

Do this for both ends of the fixture on the bottom to create a large hole so you can mount your screws from the bottom up.

Then flip the fixture right-side up like you will use it when its together. Remove the 1/2" drill bit and put in the 5/32nd bit.

If you need to measure from the ends to find the correct drill location on the top, you can do so. When I did mine and created the small divot on the first time drilling the big holes, i had created a small hole on the top, giving me the location to drill from the top (if that makes sense, hard to visualize).

Secure the fixture to the drill table, and repeat the same process you did while drilling the big holes.

After the holes are drilled, take the fixture and clean it. I used a rag and compressed air to remove shavings and any dirt that had got on it. Then use some 220 grit or similar sand paper and sand down the bur on the LED mounting location to ensure its flat. Then wipe it back off.

Now your done with the hard part!

Go back in, grab the screw, insert it from the bottom to the top, place the bracket on, and screw it in. Same for the other side.

Then re-install the electrical in the exact reverse that you took it off, being careful not to over-tighten or pinch and wiring.

Now your done! Install the wiring using the directions given by BML and enjoy your OEM looking hanging Finnex Light!

Sorry that I did not take pictures of me doing the work on the drill press. If needed, I can go back out and stage some photos.

I hope you enjoyed my post and I hope it is helpful for those of you that want to try this or have thought about it.

-Blue

Last edited by ConfidentBlue; 03-21-2014 at 05:11 AM.. Reason: edit
ConfidentBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2014, 09:04 PM   #2
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (98/100%)

nice writeup
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2014, 08:29 PM   #3
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift

Oooh I like the hanging kit you picked up.

I ended up doing something similar but for cheaper with some hangers from Home Depot.

The only thing with the Planted+ is that it's not very powerful once you start adding the height. Loses alot of light right away.

Check out my journal on my setups for hanging the Finnex.
Down_Shift is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2014, 09:01 PM   #4
ConfidentBlue
Obsession or Addiction?

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Shift View Post
Oooh I like the hanging kit you picked up.

I ended up doing something similar but for cheaper with some hangers from Home Depot.

The only thing with the Planted+ is that it's not very powerful once you start adding the height. Loses alot of light right away.

Check out my journal on my setups for hanging the Finnex.
Ya I've noticed that. This could be used on basically any finnex fixture though which is good. I bet you could use this on any type of fixture assuming you could remove the electrical with no problems.
ConfidentBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
diy hanging kit, finnex, finnex planted plus, hanging kit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.