Critique my internal/external overflow cad drawing
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 02-27-2014, 08:49 PM   #1
pianofish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Critique my internal/external overflow cad drawing

Hey everyone,
I made a cad drawing of my purposed setup for internal/external over flow setup. The internal box will be 1.5" deep in the tank. and the external will be close to 6" deep outside the tank. By deep I mean the actual front to back of the box not the heights.

Here is the drawing:

I came up with these measurements based off of another cad drawing done by uncleof6 on reefcentral. Originally this was for a coast to coast setup, but I plan on putting my overflow on the side of the tank.

I'm going bean animal 1" thick piping for a target 600 gph flow. Display and sump will both be 60 gallon breeders (36" L X 19" W X 20" H)

I believe from my research that these dimensions should be okay. However, I wanted to get a second opinion.

Please let me know any critiques and or changes that you would make to the design.
Joshua
pianofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2014, 07:18 PM   #2
andyl9063
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I have a beanimal on a 210g. If I were you, I would extend the overflow box across the whole side of your tank, I'm not sure if you have already done that, but you might have.
If not, there'll be dead spots on the two sides.

Also, you might want to shorten the distance from top of overflow down to bottom of overflow, it lessen the splash noises.

Those are my main gripes about my system which I think its important to anyone building a bean/overflow.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
pianofish
Wannabe Guru

Well, my overflow will be built into the right side of the tank not the back. I'll also have the return coming up over the back right side. I find this setup to be less obtrusive being on the side of the tank.

And also andyl, do you have an internal external setup or the standard drilled bean animal? I'm trying to decide how low the holes on the tank should be, and if they should be all the way submersed, or have half sticking out as shown in the pic.

What do you think?
Old 03-22-2014, 06:09 PM   #4
pianofish
Wannabe Guru

Can anyone give me some more clarification on if my dimensions for drilling should be okay?
Joshua