Which light for a mr.aqua 12g long? Finnex LEDs? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 03-21-2014, 09:45 PM   #16
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
You made the right decision.

v3
Hope so at $100 x.x
My 7 gallon cube is getting a cheap cfl bulb in a shop lamp fixture and chain to adjust height (and probably a simple wood "box" like shade on it to hide the lamp) so don't think more than $30 at most.
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2014, 10:00 PM   #17
PeterN1986
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
I'm little worried trying to mess with custom settings but I went ahead and bought it. Might make another thread asking for more par details on pre-set-settings or custom ones once it and the tank are here (for anyone with simular set ups or available par meter to test)
All you need to do is dim it with the remote. Honestly I leave mine on full brightness full spectrum and I have no algae issues. I wouldn't get too caught up on its PAR data (or lack thereof).
PeterN1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:40 PM   #18
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Produces View Post
You'll love it. I saw a thread with a guy who measured PAR on every setting. I'll try to find it or maybe just search on the forum. The Sat+ is super easy to use and save custom color combinations.
On this forum I'll try diging around for that, it'd be very useful info ^^
Edit: tried looking for it but have had no luck yet :c

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterN1986 View Post
All you need to do is dim it with the remote. Honestly I leave mine on full brightness full spectrum and I have no algae issues. I wouldn't get too caught up on its PAR data (or lack thereof).
You leave it on max over a 12 gallon long (or equally shallow tank) without co2 injections (diy or otherwise)?
I'd be curious how much to dim to grow medium light plants happily and not a 3 foot long algae farm.

Last edited by AquaAurora; 03-22-2014 at 10:01 PM.. Reason: Added info
Old 03-24-2014, 02:59 PM   #19
jbig
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Hope so at $100 x.x
My 7 gallon cube is getting a cheap cfl bulb in a shop lamp fixture and chain to adjust height (and probably a simple wood "box" like shade on it to hide the lamp) so don't think more than $30 at most.
hey aquaaurora,

which length light did you go with for the 12g? i'm looking into picking one of these tanks up when marine depot restocks them
jbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:49 PM   #20
Chris_Produces
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here ya go, these should help you choose settings and then make adjustments from there.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...satellite+plus

http://www.guitarfish.org/2013/05/30...2-par-readings
Old 03-24-2014, 05:22 PM   #21
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbig View Post
hey aquaaurora,

which length light did you go with for the 12g? i'm looking into picking one of these tanks up when marine depot restocks them
I bought the 36 to 48" length of the Sat +.
From what I've read about most LEDS lights, if I got the 24-36" the lights won't cover the entire length a god bit would just be the 'legs' of the light, the corners would be dark.. and I'd suspect only low light plants would do well in the darkened areas, but it might even be too low par for that. Again I don't know this as a fact about the Sat + its jut what I've come to understand after researching some other LED fixtures.
The 36-48" will be about 34' of lights in the fixture and an inch on each side for legs (which can be extended out). Since so many people pair these two together, and I don't see any diy adjustments to make the 'legs' of the light fit on the tank I think it will work fine ^^

I'm also waiting on marinedepo to restock.. pretty much stalking their page constantly *select 12 gallon long... add to cart.. "damn still not in!"* So impatient, I have (or have shipped and on the way) everything else but this blasted tank that likes to torture us with its out-of-stock-ness x.x

Quote:
Here ya go, these should help you choose settings and then make adjustments from there.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...satellite+plus

http://www.guitarfish.org/2013/05/30...2-par-readings

Thank you so much for the links! I tried searching the forum but I suck at picking the magic right search words to find anything x.x the only thing I found was a thread that gave the pars the Sat + site had and a 6" reading.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:24 PM   #22
Chris_Produces
Planted Tank Obsessed

No problem. Check these out too while you're at it. I know the first one is hi-tech but it's still cool to check out.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...&highlight=sat

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...05#post4162105

Make sure to check out the links of interest in the sat+ club thread.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #23
jbig
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I bought the 36 to 48" length of the Sat +.
From what I've read about most LEDS lights, if I got the 24-36" the lights won't cover the entire length a god bit would just be the 'legs' of the light, the corners would be dark.. and I'd suspect only low light plants would do well in the darkened areas, but it might even be too low par for that. Again I don't know this as a fact about the Sat + its jut what I've come to understand after researching some other LED fixtures.
The 36-48" will be about 34' of lights in the fixture and an inch on each side for legs (which can be extended out). Since so many people pair these two together, and I don't see any diy adjustments to make the 'legs' of the light fit on the tank I think it will work fine ^^

I'm also waiting on marinedepo to restock.. pretty much stalking their page constantly *select 12 gallon long... add to cart.. "damn still not in!"* So impatient, I have (or have shipped and on the way) everything else but this blasted tank that likes to torture us with its out-of-stock-ness x.x

Thank you so much for the links! I tried searching the forum but I suck at picking the magic right search words to find anything x.x the only thing I found was a thread that gave the pars the Sat + site had and a 6" reading.

thanks aquaaurora. i have the 24-36" fluval daylight aqua/plantlife on my 20L and it does just what your saying. Lose a lot of light on the edges so I wanted to make sure i picked up an LED that would span across the entire tank when i finally get this 12L.

Haha marine depot's "out of stock" has been haunting me for the past 2 weeks. It says it could be 4-6 weeks before they restock them

edit:
well i placed the order to reserve one about 15 minutes after posting this. my patience couldn't handle it anymore.

Last edited by jbig; 03-25-2014 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: impulsiveness
Old 03-25-2014, 03:48 PM   #24
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
thanks aquaaurora. i have the 24-36" fluval daylight aqua/plantlife on my 20L and it does just what your saying. Lose a lot of light on the edges so I wanted to make sure i picked up an LED that would span across the entire tank when i finally get this 12L.

Haha marine depot's "out of stock" has been haunting me for the past 2 weeks. It says it could be 4-6 weeks before they restock them
I'd contacted them over a week and a half ago and they said "our supplier estimates we will have a new shipment on the 18, but that is just an estimate" well thats come and gone WHERE'S DA TANKS!?!?! I'd like to get and cycle the 12gallon before summer ends so i can get plant and fish stock without worrying about fall weather =.=
Old 03-25-2014, 04:06 PM   #25
jbig
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I'd contacted them over a week and a half ago and they said "our supplier estimates we will have a new shipment on the 18, but that is just an estimate" well thats come and gone WHERE'S DA TANKS!?!?! I'd like to get and cycle the 12gallon before summer ends so i can get plant and fish stock without worrying about fall weather =.=
the 18th? that would be nice if it wasn't the 25th haha.

did you reserve one? i just did, i couldn't contain myself anymore nor do i want to miss the opportunity when they do go on sale again.. these tanks seem pretty popular, hopefully you didn't miss your window of opportunity when they did restock?
Old 03-25-2014, 04:09 PM   #26
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
the 18th? that would be nice if it wasn't the 25th haha.

did you reserve one? i just did, i couldn't contain myself anymore nor do i want to miss the opportunity when they do go on sale again.. these tanks seem pretty popular, hopefully you didn't miss your window of opportunity when they did restock?
Yes I decided to reserve, I figured they'd probably run out immediately on the back ordered and anyone hovering on the site within the first hour its available again so I'd miss out.

Quote:
No problem. Check these out too while you're at it. I know the first one is hi-tech but it's still cool to check out.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...&highlight=sat

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...05#post4162105

Make sure to check out the links of interest in the sat+ club thread.
ok thank you ^^
Old 03-25-2014, 04:13 PM   #27
jbig
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Yes I decided to reserve, I figured they'd probably run out immediately on the back ordered and anyone hovering on the site within the first hour its available again so I'd miss out.

ok thank you ^^
good call, looks like we'll be joining the club together. best of luck with the new tank and thanks for your help
Old 03-25-2014, 04:46 PM   #28
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
good call, looks like we'll be joining the club together. best of luck with the new tank and thanks for your help
Thanks and same to you ^^ look forward to seeing what you do with yours.
Mine is for my husband but I'll be helping a lot with scaping, plant list, and care, plus it will be on his desk which is right next to me so I'll get to enjoy it a lot ^^ Best way to expand your MTS (multiple tank syndrome) is to get the spouse involved and excited for MORE tanks bwhahaa. Amusingly enough his will be the most expensive setup in the house (those lights.. so expensive...).
Old 03-26-2014, 06:49 PM   #29
jbig
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Thanks and same to you ^^ look forward to seeing what you do with yours.
Mine is for my husband but I'll be helping a lot with scaping, plant list, and care, plus it will be on his desk which is right next to me so I'll get to enjoy it a lot ^^ Best way to expand your MTS (multiple tank syndrome) is to get the spouse involved and excited for MORE tanks bwhahaa. Amusingly enough his will be the most expensive setup in the house (those lights.. so expensive...).
haha at the moment my girlfriend just likes to say hello to my fish and give them outlandish names. I guess it's a start, though she does appreciate the beauty of my 20L. after this 12L comes in, i'll be at maximum capacity for fish tanks for a little while (just a little while).

I think this will also be my most expensive set up, simply because I want to look very clean and spiffy, will also be picking up a current LED, leaning heavily towards canister filter, and i'm still undecided on co2.

anyways, i'll be keeping my eye out for a journal! hope you and your husband enjoy.

Tags
led light small tank nano, medium light, question