The Buce Crypt Mountain Tank Breakdown see last post - Page 8
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-23-2014, 06:36 PM   #106
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Love the most recent FTS! Everything is looking awesome! I actually just recently added some buce to the driftwood in my 55, after getting tired of watching it struggle in my emersed tank for the last 6 months! I hope it will eventually fill in in a similar manner to yours!
johnson18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2014, 07:09 AM   #107
pianofish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centromochlus View Post
Nice man, the brownie red really looks like it's thriving. Beautiful color too.
There's just something about Buces that provides such amazing contrast with other plants…

Your tank makes me really miss my collection!

Dude, I completely feel what you're throwing down. Buces just make driftwood pop like no other plant can. They have such a unique shape that it really adds a nice layer of texture that no other plant can replicate. Also, the colors are some of the more uncommon amongst aquarium plants, (dark green,blue, purple)

One day once I finally get my dual 60 gallon setup running, I'm going to have 20 gallons of my sump as a refugium dedicated to shrimp and buces. Then I'll expand my collection. But gosh... I could use a good source for the said plants, such a shame that you don't collect anymore... *cough cough* get more plants * cough cough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson18 View Post
Love the most recent FTS! Everything is looking awesome! I actually just recently added some buce to the driftwood in my 55, after getting tired of watching it struggle in my emersed tank for the last 6 months! I hope it will eventually fill in in a similar manner to yours!
Now that I am remembering more correctly, I only had 4 buce lamandau purple, 1 golden bell, and 1 bukit betung. I then purchased 5 buce brownie red for a steal at $10 a piece and they were massive. Now though, it seems that they multiply rapidly now that they are all settled in. I reccomend starting with as many as possible so as to get them to bush even faster, and there is a high market demand right now for them, so catching a profit off of them isn't too bad.

Its definitely been a fun tank to play with over the months. I'm just starting to get into stem plants, but buces and crypts hold a special place in my planted heart haha. Speaking of stems, I just got some cuphea anagalloidea and some Proserpinaca palustris 'Cuba' in today, I decided to get rid of my Ludwigia sp palustris red, Rotala bangladesh, and Rotala mini pearl type II, Ludwigia needs more horizontal space in the tank to creep and bush, and I just don't have that in a 20 gallon, Rotala bangladesh is very weedy, and not really that pretty. and I needed the space occupied by the mini pearl. So I replace the bangladesh with the cuphea, the ludwigia with the mermaid weed cuba, and I moved my A. Reneickii variagated from the back right corner to the front left where the mini pearl used to be. Hoping to get some thicker groupings of all of my stems now that I know what grows well and where. I put a few stems of Lobelia Cardinalis dwarf in the back right corner, it'll look good in the back with the metallic red crypts in front of it.

I'll post pics in a week or so, once the stems sprout up.

Joshua
pianofish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2014, 06:35 PM   #108
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (117/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianofish View Post
Dude, I completely feel what you're throwing down. Buces just make driftwood pop like no other plant can. They have such a unique shape that it really adds a nice layer of texture that no other plant can replicate. Also, the colors are some of the more uncommon amongst aquarium plants, (dark green,blue, purple)

One day once I finally get my dual 60 gallon setup running, I'm going to have 20 gallons of my sump as a refugium dedicated to shrimp and buces. Then I'll expand my collection. But gosh... I could use a good source for the said plants, such a shame that you don't collect anymore... *cough cough* get more plants * cough cough.
Couldn't have said it better myself-- Buces are just amazing plants!

Trust me, there are plans in the works… When though, not entirely sure.

Centromochlus is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2014, 09:26 PM   #109
pianofish
Wannabe Guru

Thats awesome phil, glad to hear it haha. Just got my hands on Buce "shine blue" Very pretty plant.

Lol my Crypt affinis metallic red mother plant that I've had in the same spot for about 5 months, started blooming for a second time Happy momma plant

Joshua
Old 03-10-2014, 08:52 AM   #110
pianofish
Wannabe Guru

Quick Update, added Bucephalandra Shine Blue and Bucephalandra Copper to the tank. You can see copper in the bottom right hand corner of the tank.

The Shine blue is on the left in the middle gap, its still bouncing back from shipping.

My Tillandsia Ionantha "Fuego" was blooming today. Such a cool little plant!

And lastly here is the promised pic of my C. Affinis Metallic Red blooming for the second time this year

Joshua
Old 03-10-2014, 10:47 AM   #111
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

That's quet a collection. Somehow, I have not gotten into buces ... yet. Probably because playing $40 for a tiny plant was just too rich for me. Still is. And my pitiful history of keeping crypts does not give me much confidence of keeping these guys alive.

Time for me to read up and to man up.
Seeing your guy's tanks is motivation enough.

v3
Old 03-10-2014, 06:11 PM   #112
Duck5003
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)

Lookin good. You run CO2 right? If so those plants should bounce back very well. I do light DIY CO2. The copper grows much faster than the shine.

OVT you definitely wont be disappointed with buces. And as fas as price, every so often there are some really good deals on buces in the FS section. I would also, so far in my experience, consider them easier than crypts to keep. They really are a beautiful plant! Just beware the of the bug
Duck5003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 05:51 AM   #113
pianofish
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
That's quet a collection. Somehow, I have not gotten into buces ... yet. Probably because playing $40 for a tiny plant was just too rich for me. Still is. And my pitiful history of keeping crypts does not give me much confidence of keeping these guys alive.

Time for me to read up and to man up.
Seeing your guy's tanks is motivation enough.

v3
Thanks OVT, you've got quite the tanks yourself! But don't let a little crypt trouble get you down. Give buces a try, I justify the expense by using only money made from selling plants to buy more plants. Let the trimmings do all the work. And, it might be a little investment up front, but the return from selling baby plantlets is rather rewarding as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck5003 View Post
Lookin good. You run CO2 right? If so those plants should bounce back very well. I do light DIY CO2. The copper grows much faster than the shine.

OVT you definitely wont be disappointed with buces. And as fas as price, every so often there are some really good deals on buces in the FS section. I would also, so far in my experience, consider them easier than crypts to keep. They really are a beautiful plant! Just beware the of the bug

I do run co2 through a cerges reactor. And I'm not worried, I've had very few plants that I couldn't grow in here. They are both really pretty plants. That bolded sentence is right
Old 03-11-2014, 06:39 AM   #114
CherryRed
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Wow what a tank journey! I love the FTS posted on 9/1 (or was it 9/2?). Anyway, wonderful job, it looks very natural but there is so much detail and variety!
Old 03-11-2014, 08:56 PM   #115
cape
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Great collection and thread.

Was wondering, is CO2 necessary for buces? Also, what is best way to propagate them? Just cut top section off and replant?
cape is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 04:38 PM   #116
pianofish
Wannabe Guru

Thanks Cherry, really pleased that you enjoyed the thread. I have really been enjoying keeping this tank. And you nailed it on the head. I was shooting for as much variety as possible without making it look unnatural. I feel like it's coming along nicely.

Hey cape! Co2 is not necessary for buces but just like most plants, co2 will promote much more robust growth that looks a lot better. Propagation wise, each buce is a little different. Some of them make pups, while others you can chop off the tops. Most of the ones I have make pups as they creep along the driftwood.

This tank is going to stay the same for a while as I continue to prepare for my 60 gallon setup. Imagine this tank but 3x times as large lol.
Joshua
Old 03-18-2014, 08:51 AM   #117
pianofish
Wannabe Guru

Quick update, I removed the Crypt cordata rosanervig on the leftside. It was getting massive, and I wanted more room for my True rotala indica bush. It was massive, had 2 baby plants attached a good 6 inches away from the base of the plant!

Here's the tank after my tirm today, still a little cloudy

You can see the corner where i thickened up the true rotala indica

Some cool pics of some Schrimps playing tag

Lastly here are some pics of my Cryptocoryne Affinis Pahang Barat "Metallic Red" Spathe from the past 2 weeks!

Thanks for looking!
Joshua
Old 03-18-2014, 03:47 PM   #118
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

I see you've got your affinis "met. Red" now listed with Pahang Barat in the name. Did you actually get some of the plant collected at that location?
Old 03-18-2014, 05:24 PM   #119
rajah_22
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)

Joshua, one of the nurii you sent me is putting out a spathe (pretty confident it's a spathe - it's still really small though).

Also, are you sure the cordata is 'rosanervig'? Doesn't seem to have the characteristic markings of that variety.

Your tank is looking good! Huge spathe on that affinis.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:01 PM   #120
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajah_22 View Post
Joshua, one of the nurii you sent me is putting out a spathe (pretty confident it's a spathe - it's still really small though).

Also, are you sure the cordata is 'rosanervig'? Doesn't seem to have the characteristic markings of that variety.

Your tank is looking good! Huge spathe on that affinis.
Most C. nurii spathes are pretty small. Most of the ones I have had were not more than a few inches tall. Although those were all emersed, submersed will often be a bit taller as they reach for the surface.

Many of the variations such as the 'rosanervig' are often environment dependent, so if this species/variant thrives in black water habitats(or hardwater..etc.) they may do well in a slightly low pH but not show the full colors/characteristics of that variant.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.