Fallen Tree Branch 60cm (jungle mode) - Page 20
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-14-2014, 02:48 AM   #286
Bserve
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Hey, just wondering, where did you get the egg crate? I want to use it instead of lava rock to build up the slope in my tank because it's lightweight.
Bserve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2014, 02:58 AM   #287
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bserve View Post
Hey, just wondering, where did you get the egg crate? I want to use it instead of lava rock to build up the slope in my tank because it's lightweight.
You can get that at hardware stores. It's in the lighting section. It's normal use is for diffusing florescent lights. Isn't any sort of specialty product so it should be easy to find.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 03:25 AM   #288
Bserve
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
You can get that at hardware stores. It's in the lighting section. It's normal use is for diffusing florescent lights. Isn't any sort of specialty product so it should be easy to find.

Thanks Matt, I'll look tomorrow
Bserve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2014, 05:18 AM   #289
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (117/100%)

How much do you want for those steel pipes?

Last edited by Centromochlus; 03-18-2014 at 05:34 AM.. Reason: .
Centromochlus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2014, 02:04 AM   #290
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherHobby View Post
As for the moss/yogurt thing, it's a method used to get moss to grow on stuff emmersed. Google moss graffiti, and you'll can see pics and read about the method. Basically blending moss and yogurt and then painting it on things.
Did you blend the moss up too?
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2014, 02:47 AM   #291
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
As for plants bending, they used to do that until I raised the light 4" above the tank. When it was right on top, they bent.
That is probably because the light was so strong they didn't need to reach for it.
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 04:00 AM   #292
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Did you blend the moss up too?
Yes, I blended up the moss. It's amazing how much the little pieces got everywhere. I've had the moss removed from the tank for a while now, and I keep finding it everywhere.
AnotherHobby is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2014, 06:44 PM   #293
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

Current Status

It's been a while since an update. The tank is coming along nicely, but I don't any pictures on hand at the moment (I'm at work). I have made a few changes, but nothing major. However, I have a huge electronics project on the bench that'll take me a long time to finish, and I'm quite excited about it.

What started the project was the death of my cheap RGB LED strip lights. They died a week ago, and were a huge part of the enjoyment of my tank. Allowing for lighting from 6am to midnight has been awesome, as well as adding warmth to the Finnex Ray 2. I needed a replacement, but didn't want to do the same thing again.

I decided to just replace the Ray 2 with something controllable. In my research, the only light that I could control as well as (actually better than) my old setup would be either to (1) build my own from scratch, or (2) get a Current Satellite Plus. One CSP is about half the PAR I was getting with the Ray 2, and I knew I wanted close to the same. Building my own would give me a lot of control and possibilities, but to make it as attractive and a functional as I wanted, it would take a long time and cost at least as much as what I ended up doing.

So, I bought 2 Current Satellite Plus's. Not cheap at $177, but damn if they don't look great! I've also already built a controller based on the Arduino thread here. It's working great, although it's in a pile on my floor right now. I'll be selling my Ray 2 shortly. It's a great light, I just wanted one I could tinker with.

I'm loving how it the controller and CSP works. With my PAR meter, I was able to dial it in to make sure that my dim evening and morning lights aren't driving growth. Right now I'm doing a similar lighting routine, but with better color rendering than before. I am just using the 4 presets on the CSP, each mixed to the lighting level and color I want. I didn't like any of the built-in preset colors.

6am — lights on
6am — "sun below the horizon" custom color blend
10am — "warm low sun" custom color blend
12pm — "daytime" custom color blend
8pm — "warm low sun" custom color blend
10pm — "sun below the horizon" custom color blend
11pm — "moonlight" custom color blend
2am — lights off

Here it is doing the 8pm switch from "low sun" to "sun below the horizon" (about 3-4 PAR to 0-1 PAR):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MQjFqlo41E

The Big Electronics Project

I am going to be building my own touch screen aquarium controller built on an Arduino Mega. I've already ordered all of the parts. I'm using a 320x240 3.2" TFT touch screen. I've found code that can use images as buttons, and while it's pretty complicated, I'm hoping I can figure it all out. I want a simple touch screen interface to do some routine things, and to see the tank status. Here is what I want the controller it to do:
  • Display Date/Time in GUI
  • Control both lights independantly (front/back tank lighting) in GUI
  • Display status of both lights in GUI
  • Show tank temp in GUI
  • Schedule lights in code (no GUI needed)
  • Automated fish feeding timer in GUI (push a button and it turns off filter, circulation pump, inline heater, and CO2 for 10 minutes)
  • Control all power in GUI (relays for 125v outlets)
  • Control dosing pumps and schedule in code (no gui needed)
  • Control CO2 in code (no GUI needed other than power on/off)

I have the code to do all of the functions, but no GUI code yet. Also, I don't need a GUI for any schedules or preferences. I can set all this in code far easier than writing code to change that stuff. I just want it to be simple, useful, and attractive. Who knows if I'll add more in the future (such as scheduling and preferences), but that's where I'm starting.

Below is my planned interface. I designed the whole thing yesterday. It only has 4 screens. It might be overly ambitious, but I may as well shoot for the moon first, and if I can't make it work, I know I can do a far less graphical touch interface GUI.

It's obviously somewhat mimicking an iPhone-esque look. The 4 main app icons will always be at the bottom. Every icon (except the big color fish bowl pic) is a button. The power icons are planned to be toggle on/off and will change color to show current state. As you can see, I plan on 8 power outlets, two of which will be unused initially (7 and 8). The funnel icon is for the filter, and I think the rest is self explanatory.

This should be one heck of a challenge and super fun to build. It's certainly the most ambitious electronics project I've attempted.

Since this is a tank journal, I'll try to get some current pics posted in next day or two.

Last edited by AnotherHobby; 05-23-2014 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: updated link
Old 05-23-2014, 07:29 PM   #294
Whiskey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow,.. that is quite an ambitious project.

Question,.. have you considered using a Raspberry Pi for the controller instead? It runs Linux, and is capable of some more advanced programing languages. It might be easier to have a raspberry pi run the GUI/Screen and if you want feed directions/Read data from an Arduino to do the control. I think it was a home automation project, but I saw someone use both because the control boards for the Pi were a little pricer, or lacked something they wanted.

Whiskey
Old 05-23-2014, 07:41 PM   #295
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

I did consider Raspberry Pi, but I already have almost all of the parts for the Arduino. All I had to order extra was the LCD screen, and it was only $17.49 shipped (evilbay item 271201097446). I also already have an arduino running my dosing pumps and controlling the lights, and I have code for the rest. I have the scheduling and all of that figured out too. The big part have to figure out is the screen. With Raspberry Pi I'd be starting all over.

If I pull it off, I'll gladly share the code.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #296
Tyrone
Planted Member

PTrader: (17/100%)

Pictures are always good, but regardless of that, this is a nice update! Very intricate set-up, well to me, not too tech saavy but I try. I'm always learning something new here, I've got to give it to you! I've always liked the Satellite +'s, but just like you said, they're not cheap. Have you seen the new Planted +'s? Almost the same features as the Satellite +'s. I believe they are made by the sister company, Ecoxotic, not too sure so correct me if I'm wrong. I heard they put out more PAR than the Satellites.

Nice little vid by the way!

Tyrone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2014, 08:57 PM   #297
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone View Post
Pictures are always good, but regardless of that, this is a nice update! Very intricate set-up, well to me, not too tech saavy but I try. I'm always learning something new here, I've got to give it to you! I've always liked the Satellite +'s, but just like you said, they're not cheap. Have you seen the new Planted +'s? Almost the same features as the Satellite +'s. I believe they are made by the sister company, Ecoxotic, not too sure so correct me if I'm wrong. I heard they put out more PAR than the Satellites.

Nice little vid by the way!
Thanks! I waited to see the new Ecoexotic lights before I bought mine, and then still settled on running 2 CSPs instead. One thing I like about running 2 is better light coverage from front to back. If I had a deeper tank, I think the Ecoexotic would definitely be a contender.

I need to do some testing with my PAR meter and compare the CSP to the Ray 2 I have. When I just stuck the PAR meter down there with both CSPs running on full bright, it read 100 PAR, which is fantastic. It seems high though for being about 11-12" from the substrate. The CSP is supposed to be just 36 PAR at 12", so I was expecting maybe 60 or 70.

Maybe it's because the PAR meter's light sensor sticks up almost inch above the substrate, so maybe it's closer to 10". Either way, I need to measure it all and compare it relative to the Ray 2 first, so don't quote me on the 100 PAR number.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:53 AM   #298
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

It's been a while since some pics. I just did a bunch of trimming and cut out massive amounts of anubias. There is some dark areas in the DHG belem where there was algae that killed some of the grass. Other than that, everything is going quite well right now, with all of the plants growing nicely, and not much algae. I can't believe I grew all of that DHG belem from 1 node, with about 7 blades coming out of it.

I also moved a piece of wood. There was one that was always buried in the reineckii mini and you couldn't see it. I moved it to the right of those and in front of the hydrocotyle.

Here it is with two Current Satellite Plus lights:

Here is the branch I moved. It looks better here.

Last edited by AnotherHobby; 05-25-2014 at 03:06 AM.. Reason: link fixed
Old 05-27-2014, 01:39 AM   #299
Whiskey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I did consider Raspberry Pi, but I already have almost all of the parts for the Arduino. All I had to order extra was the LCD screen, and it was only $17.49 shipped (evilbay item 271201097446). I also already have an arduino running my dosing pumps and controlling the lights, and I have code for the rest. I have the scheduling and all of that figured out too. The big part have to figure out is the screen. With Raspberry Pi I'd be starting all over.

If I pull it off, I'll gladly share the code.
Makes sense, I'd love to see the code when you get it running.
I'm struggling with the desire to have a menu on mine right now, but I am NOT a programmer. Powershell and JavaScript for Google apps is the closest I come, so the code to make a menu that reads in button presses is proving to be a challenge.

I did make something you might like though! I put together an autotopoff. It reads analog in on one analog line with a 50K ohm resistor to ground, then another digital line is used as a 5V out only during sensing. When the pump runs it pushes the digital out high and waits to read voltage on the analog in.

This is proving effective as long as I average a couple readings, and it means I don't need a huge float valve in my tank.

Once dosing is complete the digital in is sent low,.. I figure that works as a grounding probe.

I'm using 2 steel finishing nails 1/4 inch apart right now for the probe, but I have stainless steel ones in the mail.

The tank looks great!

Whiskey
Old 05-27-2014, 02:38 AM   #300
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

I was thinking about doing something similar with top off. I was really obsessing on it though, because if it wigged out at the wrong time and I wasn't there to catch it, bye bye hardwood floors. After working out different possibilities, I was thinking of adding the top off process into my feeding button. Always watch when I feed them, so at that time I could just have it do an auto-top off routine since I'm watching it anyway. Seemed to me to be the only way I'd trust it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.