Mr. Aqua 17.4g - Iwagumi, DIY ADA Stand upgrading - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-22-2014, 05:47 AM   #16
RunnerUW
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Wowzers, I broke this tank down in August and shame on me for not getting it going again for 6 months! Can't believe it has been that long since I've been without an aquarium. I forgot how much I enjoyed this hobby until this week when I started a 'scape but the perfectionist in me wasn't feeling it so I pulled it down and started again. I'm really happy with how this one is started.

Seiryu stone in place, makeshift substrate supports from the craft store and dwarf hairgrass planted.

5 pots of hemianthus callitrochoides (aka HC, Cuba, Dwarf baby tears) may have been overkill but they looked healthy and it's better to have too much than too little, right?! After an hour of painstakingly removing the wool and separating into small plantlets I think I have a very good looking start to the carpet of HC I've been dreaming of!

Finally a front on view that I'm happy to watch grow!

I plan to give this approximately 10 hours of light from my fugeray with 6 hours in the middle of extra light from 2 14watt CFLs. I'm patient so I'm OK waiting at least a month before I flood this. That should be enough time to get these two sets of plants enough time to root and start growing. I'm not expecting much growth from the hairgrass as I've heard it does better submerged. But I expect to see the HC make a decent carpet before filling. I think I'll add some taller plants to the back corners once flooded, but I haven't decided what to put back there yet.

Excited to see how this progresses! More updates to follow!
RunnerUW is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2014, 04:35 PM   #17
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)

looks nice, I will be following.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:37 AM   #18
RunnerUW
Algae Grower

It's been a few weeks so time to document the growth.

The first image below is the starting point, 2/21/14. Then a couple of weeks later we have the growth at 3/6/14. Then 3/10/14 and finally 3/13/14.

The HC has been filling in well. I'm seeing a few yellow leaves here and there but I think it'll survive just fine while it waits to be filled.

The dwarf hairgrass growth has been nearly non-existent. Root growth looks excellent and I'm seeing a few new shoots through the substrate tonight. A little bit of browning of the hairgrass but again, I think it will survive and flourish once the aquarium is filled. I understand hairgrass grows better submerged versus emersed.

Getting the CO2 system ready to go by running the tubing inside the stand...I'm a bit detail oriented about having a clean inside of my stand so it's a few clips here and there to keep all the lines mostly out of site.

2/21/14

3/6/14

3/10/14

3/13/14
Old 03-18-2014, 02:46 AM   #19
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (116/100%)

HUGE fan of the double-door ADA stand for a 60P... looks great. Want to build me one?
Old 03-18-2014, 03:45 AM   #20
RunnerUW
Algae Grower

I'll get right on it

That is one of those projects I look back on and think wow, did I really do that?! (fiberglass subwoofer enclosure in a little cubby under the rear seat of my Toyota Tacoma also comes to mind). How much time I spent on those two simple little boxes amazes me. But they both came out better than expected!

Nice to hear you like the doors. They were an unintended consequence of incorrectly cutting the laminate but in hindsight I think they look amazing and actually give me more placement opportunities. I can have the doors open and still pass between the stand and the piece of furniture across from it!

I see about 10-15 little tiny DHW shoots appearing! I think I'm less than two weeks away from filling this thing!
Old 03-29-2014, 02:43 AM   #21
RunnerUW
Algae Grower

Woohoo, finally filled this thing! Things are going OK. Had some stringy fungus like material on the HC that I've been working to clean up. Oh, and totally filled the aquarium will a bunch of little white flakes from the filter tubing. I'm guessing it is a sort of biofilm that builds up in the tubing. If I ever notice my tubing is white again, I'll put a net in front of the filter discharge to catch anything that blows into the tank when I restart the filter.

Filter is still cycling so no fish yet. I had a good nitrite spike that is now testing zero so I think I'm almost there. Added some ammonia this morning so I'll check tomorrow morning to see if it has all been converted in 24 hours.

I had a Fugeray on the tank, which I suspect was completely capable of growing what I want. And then I went to the LFS, saw the 24" Planted+ in stock and lo and behold I'm coming home with a new light. Needed? Not a chance. Wanted? You betcha. I really like it! On paper it is brighter. In person and I find it just more pleasing to the eyes. That red and, when I feel like turning it on, the blue is nice to see, especially in the sparkle off the water.

I'm busy testing a lot (Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, pH and Phosphates). Struggling to keep phosphates at a measurable level so I've been adding KH2PO4 every other day to 2ppm, only to see it go to zero by the next day.

Some algae is beginning to sneak in. My rocks are pearling Yeah, maybe not, it's the algae that is beginning to grow on the rocks. I've been using a toothbrush to scrape that off each night.

In the picture below you can see some brown algae covering some of the HC. It is removed pretty easy so I just pick it up with some tweezers or vacuum it up. Lots of brown specks on the HC leaves. Almost looks like fine aquasoil specks, but I think it is more of the brown diatom type. I do have some green diatoms growing on the glass too.

HC, DHG, Vallisneria
Tank Journal
Old 03-31-2014, 12:38 AM   #22
RunnerUW
Algae Grower

Added some critters today. 2 tiger shrimp and 2 otocinclus. I acclimated them floating in their bags for 4 hours, they seem pretty happy right now. I hope they like all the algae growing in the tank.

Something brown is spreading fierce across the HC. It scrapes away pretty easy so I've been doing that every day. Hopefully it is just something that comes with a new tank.

HC, DHG, Vallisneria
Tank Journal
Old 03-31-2014, 04:16 AM   #23
RunnerUW
Algae Grower

Did lots more reading on algae and I came to discover:

1) I likely had too much light when starting this tank from emersed to submerged. Light period was 9 hours with a Finnex Planted + and CO2 on at 4 bps 1 hour before lights on to 1 hour before lights off. I have cut back the photoperiod to just 6 hours now. I also slowed the CO2 down to 1-2 bps since I added the fish and shrimp.

2) I think my algae problem is BGA. Not technically an algae but it sure looks like one. I came that conclusion based solely on smell. My tank has a kind of musty/earthy smell and when I pick up a little of this growth on my HC, it smells pretty rank. I guess my options now are a blackout or antibiotics (Erythromycin).

3) I don't know the ultimate source of the BGA outbreak but my water movement seems pretty minimal at the substrate level. I have a lot of movement near the surface but I can hardly see the leaves of the HC move. I moved the outflow of my 2217 (should be more than enough flow for 17 gallon!) to see if that helps. Even though it's a new tank, I might still take apart the filter to ensure it isn't full of something nasty.
HC, DHG, Vallisneria
Tank Journal
Old 03-31-2014, 03:59 PM   #24
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looks great!

Have you considered trying the one-two punch method for algae control? I've been pondering giving it a shot myself...
Old 04-01-2014, 02:36 AM   #25
RunnerUW
Algae Grower

One two punch complete. I'll let you know if it worked.

I pulled out the shrimp and otos so that they could avoid the H2O2. With the fish out I felt comfortable doing the 4 tbsp/10 gallon and added a total of 6 tbsp for 15 gallons of water. I added a 600 gph circ pump, turned that tank into a washing machine! While that was going I rinsed the filter pads in some tank water (filter was pretty darn clean already). The filter smelled of that earthy/musty smell I'm associating with BGA so for the final 5 minutes of the H2O2 treatment I hooked the filter back up, media and all and ran punch #1 through it. I'm sure it affected some of the good bacteria but I'm willing to risk that since I have such a tiny bioload in the tank. I'll monitor the water parameters and will be ready to do some water changes if necessary.

Did a 50% water change after the H2O2, refilled with tap water, added prime and then punch #2 with 7 mL Excel.

I'm acclimating the otos and shrimp to their "new" tank right now.

Oh, I also took out the vals I had because I heard they can be sensitive to Excel. I'll add them back in tomorrow morning when most of the Excel has hopefully worked on the DHG and HC.
HC, DHG, Vallisneria
Tank Journal
Old 04-15-2014, 09:39 PM   #26
DieFranz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

Hey, another Mr. Aqua 17.4 in its beginning stages in Seattle! Nice. Except I have the Ray II so I'm sure I can expect extra algae problems.

Subbed!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2014, 02:56 AM   #27
RunnerUW
Algae Grower

Hey DieFranz! Best of luck with your setup. I've seen other 60p tanks using a RayII successfully without an algae problem. I'd say be generous with the CO2 with that powerful of a light. I really like these Finnex LEDs.

Do you have a journal started?

Here's today's latest update. I bought some blyxa at the GSAS auction because I don't really like the vals I had planted in the corners. I really only had the vals because they were readily available and I wanted something faster growing than my DHG and HC to help keep algae at bay. I got a huge bag of the blyxa at the auction and crammed as much as I could into the tank. I'll probably remove all of the vals at some point but for now I stashed them all to the left. Hoping the blyxa grows a little taller to add some height to the tank on that right hand side.

BGA is starting to show up again. I'm trying (again) to pick out the majority of it before it spreads and I'll spot treat the stuff at the substrate level with H2O2 as needed. I'm speculating that it is a combination of uneven CO2 levels and some poor circulation in that corner of the tank. I think the CO2 levels are due to a dying check valve, or I'm bumping my needle valve. I came home today to a blue drop checker and maybe 0.2 bubbles per second. I've been targeting 4-5 bps since the fauna seem to be OK.
As for circulation I'm messing with the location of the lily pipes to find what works best. All up front corner, no different. All in the back, seemed a little better. Currently at back inlet and front outlet. Doesn't seem to be cutting it. I'll go back to the all back corner to see if I can get better flow up in the front left corner.

Speaking of pipes, I've added a Borneowild stainless intake. I like how it has little holes throughout the length to get debris that is floating at different levels of the tank. I don't like that I usually have to shut off the filter for a water change because the water level will get below the first set of holes making the filter suck in air. But that's OK, life will go on. Having a 2217 means I have an 17mm inlet and it is tough to get an intake that large to fit. I had to make a trough in the back corner of my tank to "bury" the intake without surrounding it in substrate. So far so good.

HC, DHG, Vallisneria
Tank Journal
Old 04-16-2014, 06:15 AM   #28
DieFranz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

Looking good!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk