New Hi-Tech Rimless 20 Long - *Dutch-ish / Iwagumi* +20L Reef dual setup
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-18-2014, 01:00 AM   #1
jcgilmore2
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

New Hi-Tech Rimless 20 Long - *Dutch-ish / Iwagumi* +20L Reef dual setup

Tank as of May 11.

And so it begins again... starting a new tank is always the most exciting part I feel like.

I just recently tore down my 55g planted tank to make way for a new 20L tank. This will be my 4th planted tank (RIP all others now)along with my other 20L reef. Water changes in the 55 were becoming too much work along with my reef tank, and honestly, I was ready for something new.

The tank is a standard 20L from Petco de-rimmed (I've done this multiple times now, plenty sturdy.. but wouldn't go any bigger)

Lights - right now 4x39 FishNeedIt with a Geiss Midday, WavePoint Tropical, FNI 10k and Pink (sometimes replace the pink with another wavepoint)

Substrate - Ecocomplete, white sand

Filtration - Eheim 2217, Ista Surface Skimmer

CO2 - 5lb tank with Milwaukee regulator and Maxmix inline reactor

Hardscape - Seiryu Stone, Wood

Fertz - PPS Pro'ish with 1.5 liter mix of KH2PO4 KNO3 daily & dry CSM+B every other day

Last edited by jcgilmore2; 05-12-2014 at 02:25 AM.. Reason: Updates
jcgilmore2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2014, 01:04 AM   #2
jcgilmore2
Planted Member

FI was craving a new planted tank after my old 20L went from this --

To This --

I also had a 55g planted tank but the upkeep was just too much in the winter and I slacked on EI water changes and dosing, sold my discus and tore it down. Heres one of the last tank shots.. RIP

Old 03-18-2014, 01:10 AM   #3
jcgilmore2
Planted Member

Default And so it begins...

As for inspiration... well, there really wasn't any tank in particular. I just knew that my old 55 had that convex canyon look and I wanted to go with a mountain peak type look and I really liked some tanks I had seen lately using white sand. I didn't really plan out my hardscape.. I already had the stuff I was going to use and I knew which side of the stones were the most visually interesting, but that's about it.

After struggling for 20 minutes or so to get the stones to sit up.. I realized that I had that wood from the old 20L and it might help brace the rocks... Which it did, they fit snug right between the limbs.

The combo ended up making the layout a bit more original... Still think Im going to bring the plants and substrate out a little further to the right rear side, but that might fill in better anyway once the plants start carpeting out towards the sand, we shall see.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:23 AM   #4
jcgilmore2
Planted Member

I got in some Dwarf Baby Tears, Ludwigia Ruben, Ranunculus Inundatus and Marsilea Minuta and a bit of Riccia. This is right after planting.

I had saved some Ammania, Hyrdocotyle sp, Stargrass and Pearlweed from my 55 which you saw in the first pictures.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:39 AM   #5
Neatfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Pretty cool tanks. You still have that SW tank?
Old 03-18-2014, 02:13 AM   #6
johnnytrn
Algae Grower

Tank looks pretty good. Looks like you just de-rimmed the top? That's exactly what I did to my 20 long, still going strong
Old 03-18-2014, 02:15 AM   #7
jcgilmore2
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neatfish View Post
Pretty cool tanks. You still have that SW tank?
Thanks man. Yeah, still going strong. That picture was from just a week or two ago I think. I'm glad I made the plunge into SW... I've had tanks for about 10 years I'd say.. back since I was like 15. They were always pred tanks though. I only got into planted tanks about a year ago when I finished college and finally had some free time. I was on vacation in Mexico this past October and went snorkeling and seeing the reef in person again after getting back into tanks is what made me want to convert that tank to SW.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:17 AM   #8
jcgilmore2
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytrn View Post
Tank looks pretty good. Looks like you just de-rimmed the top? That's exactly what I did to my 20 long, still going strong
Yeah, Looks so much better. I think the one has been this way for probably 9 months now... Ive knocked it pretty hard quite a few times and theres a wavemaker in their constantly beating the sides a bit... never had a single problem or sign of weakness... However, I wouldnt go any bigger. A guy I know took the rim of his 29 though and hasnt had any issues.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:46 AM   #9
jcgilmore2
Planted Member

Default The tanks today

Ok so here is the tank today... been up a few weeks, most plants only went in this past Wednesday or so

Old 03-18-2014, 09:19 PM   #10
beedee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Man that looks great. You definitely have a knack for hardscapes and overall aquascaping!
Old 03-18-2014, 09:40 PM   #11
Trigger334
Algae Grower

Wow great tanks... The SW tank is amazing and hope to just into that side of the hobby soon. I love how one of your plants is periling. You must have your lights dialed in.

Here's my 20 gallon. It's a start, just taking it nice and easy. I would be pumped if it ended up anything like yours.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=574306
Trigger334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:44 AM   #12
jcgilmore2
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beedee View Post
Man that looks great. You definitely have a knack for hardscapes and overall aquascaping!

Thanks a lot man! I'm pumped about this tank developing. Yeah, I usually end up liking the hardscapes for the most part... I dont ever sit down and draw them out like I should. I have a 4 year art degree in graphic design, so I think my understanding of the basic art foundations gives me a nice advantage going into it. I always see room for improvement in my scapes though, or look at another tank and think... "Wow, I wish my tank was that nice." Seems like some others I have seen in the art field (design, photography, etc) always have nice tanks. With aquascaping, If you have an eye for balance and focal points... you'll usually come up with a nice scape. I don't ever look at my own that way though, haha. We are all our own worst critics I guess.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=582193

“We are star stuff which has taken its destiny into its own hands.” ― Carl Sagan
Old 03-19-2014, 02:47 AM   #13
jcgilmore2
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger334 View Post
Wow great tanks... The SW tank is amazing and hope to just into that side of the hobby soon. I love how one of your plants is periling. You must have your lights dialed in.

Here's my 20 gallon. It's a start, just taking it nice and easy. I would be pumped if it ended up anything like yours.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=574306

Thanks a lot! I actually was reading through your thread the other day. Looks like a great start! I would recommend painting the black, The contrast will make the fish pop and hide a lot of the stuff behind the tank. Its an easy thing to do that makes a big difference. Look forward to some full tank shots!

As far as the pealing goes, Its mainly because of co2. Im running pressurized co2 at about 4 bps, so its cranking in there. I do have a quad t5ho fixture but I only have all 4 bulbs running for 2-3 hours a day and the fixture is over 2 feet from the substrate.

“We are star stuff which has taken its destiny into its own hands.” ― Carl Sagan
Old 03-19-2014, 04:49 AM   #14
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

I remember your last journal. This is really nice. I was going to suggest painting your skimmer but you already did that haha.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:33 AM   #15
jcgilmore2
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
I remember your last journal. This is really nice. I was going to suggest painting your skimmer but you already did that haha.

Thanks man. Feels good to have another freshwater going.

Haha, yeah it stuck out like a sore thumb out there white against the black bg. Looks much better now.

Also... A little off topic. But I've noticed that the black high temperature grill paint is the darkest black looking spray paint I've found so far for backgrounds. Darker than fusion IMO.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk