A Twist on Mr. Aqua 12 Long - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-26-2014, 04:55 PM   #46
AGUILAR3
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

I doubt he would want you to ship them back. He probably has hundreds and hundreds. Did you try buying from one of our members first?
AGUILAR3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2014, 09:41 PM   #47
SevenportsJohn
Sponsor

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to SevenportsJohn

Very nice job on the overflow for a 12 gallon long. So the black acrylic background acts as a surface skimmer? Any issues with shrimp going over yet ? Or is it even wide enough?

SevenportsJohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2014, 10:02 PM   #48
rdmustang1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGUILAR3 View Post
I doubt he would want you to ship them back. He probably has hundreds and hundreds. Did you try buying from one of our members first?
I haven't seen PFR shrimp sold here and most of the prices for other shrimp on here are much higher than available elsewhere. I did buy some from shrimpusadotcom on aquabid and his came in nice. I was trying to get some more but apparently went the wrong way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenportsJohn View Post
Very nice job on the overflow for a 12 gallon long. So the black acrylic background acts as a surface skimmer? Any issues with shrimp going over yet ? Or is it even wide enough?
Yes, I had a few shrimp end up in the external overflow and in the sump so I put some black foam filter between the acrylic and the glass. It helps quite a bit. I'd like to replace it with something like a stainless mesh but not sure how.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:13 PM   #49
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

Whoa @ tank and work <speechless with awe).

v3
Old 02-26-2014, 10:34 PM   #50
rdmustang1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Whoa @ tank and work <speechless with awe).

v3
Thanks!

I put my new regulator on the paintball tank. I had to use the 6w solenoid since I don't have the right power adapter for my new 0.5w solenoid. The 6w is running hot but working.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:53 PM   #51
pianofish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Good night man, that is quite the regulator for a paint ball tank lol. I completely agree with your methodology though. Its better to save up and get the best of what you want later, than to cheap out and buy meh stuff now. Tank looks incredible my friend. And I applaud you on the plumbing job. My only question is why didn't you put a small like .5" internal box to get some skimming for the tank? Skimming is one of the major benefits of having an overflow setup in my opinion. What size plumbing did you end up using on the pipes?
Great job man,
Joshua
pianofish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2014, 11:04 PM   #52
rdmustang1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianofish View Post
Good night man, that is quite the regulator for a paint ball tank lol. I completely agree with your methodology though. Its better to save up and get the best of what you want later, than to cheap out and buy meh stuff now. Tank looks incredible my friend. And I applaud you on the plumbing job. My only question is why didn't you put a small like .5" internal box to get some skimming for the tank? Skimming is one of the major benefits of having an overflow setup in my opinion. What size plumbing did you end up using on the pipes?
Great job man,
Joshua
I have a coast-to-coast overflow in the form of a 1/4" acrylic sheet. It skims water from the entire back of the tank very well. The reason I went with the C2C was because I wanted the back of the tank black and I couldn't figure a way to do so with a smaller overflow box. I actually box a mini overflow box but ended up selling it. I couldn't paint the back of the tank because I had to silicone the external overflow to the tank and everything I read said not to silicone over paint. I didn't want the overflow, plumbing, or the holes in the back showing. I think the C2C is overkill but it looks very nice (imo) and works great. The only thing I'd change is making the acrylic sheet a little smaller. The water level is very high in the tank and I have to shut the pump off to put my hand in the water to fix anything. I'm toying with the idea of removing the sheet and cutting it down but that would be a very large ordeal. I can keep the bacteria in the filter alive easily but would have to move the fish and shrimp somewhere. The new silicone would have to cure for 1-2 days before adding anything back in.

Plumbing is 1/2". I wanted to go as small as possible with a good amount of slack. I did use 3/4" true union ball valves and 3/4" unions because they are rated for sch 80 which means the ID is much smaller. The ball valve is about 1/2 closed so the system can handle a lot more than is going down. Even if the pipe was to become partially clogged I'm comfortable with the pipe sizes.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:51 PM   #53
kman
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fascinating. So if I'm understanding correctly, after you drilled the holes in the back of the tank, you simply put in a 1/4" sheet of black acrylic that runs the full width of the back of the tank? (is that what you mean by "coast to coast" or is that some sort of brand name?) Then water overflows over the top of it into a ~1/4" space between the acrylic and the back glass panel, and from there into the overflow box that you custom siliconed in place? (and then down to the sump, of course)
Old 03-07-2014, 03:42 PM   #54
rdmustang1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
Fascinating. So if I'm understanding correctly, after you drilled the holes in the back of the tank, you simply put in a 1/4" sheet of black acrylic that runs the full width of the back of the tank? (is that what you mean by "coast to coast" or is that some sort of brand name?) Then water overflows over the top of it into a ~1/4" space between the acrylic and the back glass panel, and from there into the overflow box that you custom siliconed in place? (and then down to the sump, of course)
Yes, that's right. Coast to coast is a method, not a brand. It allows for the skimming of water across the entire tank. The space behind the acrylic is closer to 1/2". It gives me good filtration and looks great too.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:01 PM   #55
kman
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmustang1 View Post
Yes, that's right. Coast to coast is a method, not a brand. It allows for the skimming of water across the entire tank. The space behind the acrylic is closer to 1/2". It gives me good filtration and looks great too.
It does indeed.

So you give up approx 3/4" of tank depth. Is there water intake other than whatever pours over the top of the backplate? And I guess the height of the backplate determines the water level in the tank. If it goes to low to pour over the top, how does water get into the outflows down to the sump?

I need to do some searching on this method, it looks slick.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:14 PM   #56
rdmustang1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
It does indeed.

So you give up approx 3/4" of tank depth. Is there water intake other than whatever pours over the top of the backplate? And I guess the height of the backplate determines the water level in the tank. If it goes to low to pour over the top, how does water get into the outflows down to the sump?

I need to do some searching on this method, it looks slick.
Yes, there is a sacrifice in space but even in this small of a tank it's not really noticeable. The height of the acrylic determines the constant height of water level. If no water is pumped in then no water pumps out once the water level lowers to the height of the acrylic. To me, this is another benefit. The sump allows for evaporation yet the display tank still looks pristine. The downside is that if enough water evaporates the pump will run dry and may burn up and eventually the bacteria bed will die. Of course this is true with any filter. I do water changes every week. In a week about 2 gallons of water evaporates. My setup will allow for about 4 gallons of evaporation before the pump starts drawing in air. It could probably go another gallon before failing to return water. That means that I can go 2.5 weeks between water changes if I want.

Another update. Some new pics:

Tank pic:

My nerites love coming out of the water. A few times I've seen them on the outside of the glass and a handful of times I've found them on the floor. Here is one on the driftwood outside the tank:
Old 03-17-2014, 10:52 PM   #57
rdmustang1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The tank came out just like I wanted; however, the water level being that high was nothing but problems. Fish liked to jump out. Snails climbed out and fish and shrimp loved to go into the overflow box and sometimes into the sump. I couldn't put foam over the overflow because it would cause the water to overflow the sides of the aquarium. Any time plants grew to the surface and made contact with the legs of the lights the water would flow out onto the floor.

So..... I took the tank apart and cut the overflow panel down about 1/2". I moved the fish into the return section of the sump and the shrimp into the pre-filter section of the sump. I drained the aquarium, took out the substrate and pulled out the acrylic sheet.

Here's a picture without the overflow.

Then I cut it and re-silicone'd the acrylic. I also cut and stuck Poret foam behind the overflow panel to act as a pre-filter. Now the water level is down about 1/2" from the top of the tank. No jumping fish. Nobody in the sump. Everything seems to be working much nicer (knock on wood).

Here is a pic after being put back together. I mostly threw everything back in place because this project took much longer than I was hoping.

I'm also in the process of redoing the doors. The wood on the previous doors was too ugly and the wife wasn't happy.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:04 PM   #58
rdmustang1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I forgot to mention. I was pleasantly surprised when I took all the fauna out of the tank. While the tank was up I could only find maybe 5-6 CRS and 8-10 RCS in the tank. They are so good at hiding.

When I took everything out of the tank I found maybe 10 CRS and 15 RCS. I was careful to keep all rocks and wood in water because I know shrimp like to hide. Shrimp apparently really like the driftwood because I kept finding shrimp in the bucket that had the drift wood soaking. In the end I had a total of 24 CRS and 20 RCS. Originally I put 25 CRS and 33 RCS in. I'm guessing the aggressive ghost shrimp I had in there before ate some of the smaller RCS. I can't imagine it was the water since I only lost 1 CRS.

I also bought 40 more RCS from barakainus on here (super good pricing). He sent mostly juveniles and I might have to cull out some of them but it looks like a lot of them will be nicely colored.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:25 PM   #59
jcgilmore2
Planted Member

Nice tank, great build. Always wanted a 12g long theyre just always sold out when I decide Im gonna go for it. Do you not lose a bunch of co2 gas through aeration in the sump? Ive had people I know run into issues with that. I may have missed it you've already discussed it.
jcgilmore2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2014, 03:50 PM   #60
rdmustang1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgilmore2 View Post
Nice tank, great build. Always wanted a 12g long theyre just always sold out when I decide Im gonna go for it. Do you not lose a bunch of co2 gas through aeration in the sump? Ive had people I know run into issues with that. I may have missed it you've already discussed it.
There is almost 0 surface agitation in the sump. In fact there is usually a skim on the surface of the water. I think most of the CO2 loss is from the external overflow. I'm not sure how to reduce any loss.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.