From 6g>18g>28g container pond 6/19/14 - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 02-26-2014, 06:48 PM   #46
AGUILAR3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

It's at my doorway and sees a lot of foot traffic. Besides, in the few months it's been set up, I have yet to see a bird anywhere near our pond. In fact, I rarely hear or see any bird.
Unless you live by the hills, not too much wildlife in Los Angeles. Unfortunately, or fortunately for me, I have yet to see a raccoon, possum or heron in person... Just pictures
AGUILAR3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2014, 02:28 AM   #47
AGUILAR3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I decided to DIY my fittings instead of using bulkheads. I had a brain fart and instead of 1", I got 3/4" outlet. Am I destined to have issues with the 1/2" in>3/4" out? Should I be running 1" for the outlet?

3/1 edit:

Never mind. I replaced the brass 3/4" output with a plastic 1" output fitting.

2nd pic is a mock up of the filter using a 1g Ice cream pail. Home depot has a black 3.5g bucket so I may use that instead of a 5g. I would have picked it up while I was there earlier but they didn't have the reg snap on lids. All they had were these industrial lids.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-02-28 13.05.34.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	282330  

Name:	2014-03-01 16.33.50.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	282338  

Old 03-07-2014, 06:08 AM   #48
AGUILAR3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Turns out the Home Depot 3.5g bucket lid isn't some industrial lid after all. It's a Gamma seal lid.

I just need to figure out a way to create a shelf that will hold the poly fill and drip tray inches above the bio media. I can use a 5 way pvc elbow and make a spray bar but then the poly fill mat will be laying on top of the ceramic rings and lava rock. I can also somehow suspend a circular cut piece of egg crate with either legs or glued pegs a few inches below the lid that will hold a perforated tray.

Thought,Ideas?

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-03-06 22.35.17.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	285282  

Old 03-15-2014, 11:50 AM   #49
TyrannosaurusSex
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGUILAR3 View Post

I know this may sound weird but I love doing water changes on my 8 betta cubes every 4-5 days. I guess an extra water change wont hurt
Pretty sure Southern California is experiencing one of the worst droughts in the state's history. Way to do your part.
TyrannosaurusSex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:02 PM   #50
boxboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

You can use "Egg Crate" lighting diffuser panel to make a shelf to hold media above the pump.
boxboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:57 PM   #51
AGUILAR3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrannosaurusSex View Post
Pretty sure Southern California is experiencing one of the worst droughts in the state's history. Way to do your part.
With 8 cubes under 2 gallons ea, I'm pretty sure your WCs trump my 8g max water change per week.

btw, I tore out my girls pathway garden and replaced everything with drought tolerant California plants and to further conserve water, I added a 3" layer of organic mulch. I haven't watered in over a month. What little plants do need water (pineapple/creeping charlie) do fine with the weekly 8g of betta water.

Thanks for your concern though. In hindsight, I guess I should have cemented the whole thing and really helped out with Ca's drought

BTW, Yeah, that's CA sun you see shining on my plants
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-03-09 12.45.44.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	289969  

Old 03-15-2014, 05:02 PM   #52
AGUILAR3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxboy View Post
You can use "Egg Crate" lighting diffuser panel to make a shelf to hold media above the pump.

I was hoping the bucket had a taper from top to bottom so I could suspend some egg crate but since its pretty much square, I think I need to crazy glue/silicone some tabs a few inches below the bucket opening. This will allow me to suspend an egg crate ring and a drip plate.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:36 PM   #53
bparmar

I wouldn't worry about cold temps. I live in Vancouver and had a 3'x6'x4'd pond for well over 20 years. Our frost depth is 18" and in the winter the pond would freeze over. I kept a ball in the pond so when it froze just push the ball to break the ice. Fish metabolism slows down. I started out with little feeder fish like yours and they grew to well over 6". I rarely fed them as they got lots of bugs and stuff. I also went to the local lake and got some indigenous water lily which took over the pond and came back every year. Finally some racoons moved into the neighborhood and although the fish had lots of protection I got tired of finding my pond trashed as the racoons tried to get at the fish. Now it's a nice paved patio.
bparmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:44 AM   #54
lksdrinker
Algae Grower

I love the pond; especially with the DIY ingenuity!
lksdrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:34 AM   #55
AGUILAR3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bparmar View Post
I wouldn't worry about cold temps. I live in Vancouver and had a 3'x6'x4'd pond for well over 20 years. Our frost depth is 18" and in the winter the pond would freeze over. I kept a ball in the pond so when it froze just push the ball to break the ice. Fish metabolism slows down. I started out with little feeder fish like yours and they grew to well over 6". I rarely fed them as they got lots of bugs and stuff. I also went to the local lake and got some indigenous water lily which took over the pond and came back every year. Finally some racoons moved into the neighborhood and although the fish had lots of protection I got tired of finding my pond trashed as the racoons tried to get at the fish. Now it's a nice paved patio.
Temps are stable enough that I don't worry at all and fortunately for me, I've never seen a raccoon. If and when the goldfish outgrow the tub, they'll be treated to a nice corporate pond that has to be at leat 20k+ gallons.

Thanks lksdrinker

A small update: 50g tub came in and it was too big for the path of dirt I have. When digging close to the wall and cement pathway, i started to hit cement. I returned it and picked up a 30g heavy duty container @ Home Depot.

Also, with the recent rain we had here, the 18g tub sank maybe 1.5" on one side. Now I'm thinking of laying down a few inches of play sand once I replace it with the 30g next weekend.

Filter is good to go. I just need to pick up some black 1/2" and 1" hose. I still haven't figured out what I want to do for a drip plate so Im going to just lay down a 5" layer of lava rock then a few bags of ceramic rings then the filter floss mat directly on top of the rings. Eventually, I'll make a drip plate for this thing.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:42 PM   #56
lksdrinker
Algae Grower

I'm not entirely sure this will help you, but what about one of these below? I think its called a "grit guard". Its to be used in the bottom of a bucket when washing a car to allow small pebbles/sand etc to fall to the bottom of the bucket so it doesnt collect in a sponge.

lksdrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:28 PM   #57
AGUILAR3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestion lksdrinker. I thought about using egg crate but it wouldn't give me the trickle I would need.

I just found this doing an image search for "round drip plate" and I think using the bottom 2" of a 2nd bucket is the way to go.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1020532.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	301530  

Attached Images

Old 04-06-2014, 04:30 PM   #58
AGUILAR3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

looks like the user below used silicone to secure 4 pvc tubes to the bottom to support the drip plate but I think I'd rather use tabs right under the drip plate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1020531.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	301546  

Old 04-07-2014, 07:37 PM   #59
AGUILAR3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Found a 5g bucket, cut off the bottom half, and made myself a drip plate. I'm sure my neighbor wont miss it

Question: I'm going to get some plastic tabs and place them 4" below the bucket opening to suspend the plate. What should I use? Silicone or crazy glue?

BTW, just found out that this 3g bucket actually holds 4g of water...more room for media
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2014, 08:38 PM   #60
vanish
Planted Member

Fun thread, what happened?

Can't go wrong with silicone!
vanish is offline   Reply With Quote