Salmon Tank - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #31
CheyLillymama22
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTDPlanted View Post
Ever had salmon sushi? You would feel like you are eating an entirely different fish! That is my favorite way to have salmon now
I have, yes! Very tasty
CheyLillymama22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2013, 01:01 AM   #32
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyLillymama22 View Post
This is so cool!
Salmon are my favorite fish to eat. Lol

I've always wanted to go to Alaska, my husband would probably be down if I went fishing with him. But I am too impatient for fishing. Lol
We have the salmon dialed in pretty good as guides. Never a promise becasue each tide is different, but the patience required up here when things are hot is not like fishing anywhere else. Plus if the fishin is slow you can always have fun watching the bears and moose!

Just got word back from the ADF&G. Unfortunately the Fish and Game will not allow me to keep the salmon past MAy 22nd. I have to either kill or release them by then. They are only smolt at that time so no sushi for me. Would love to raise just one for a year and see what would happen!
Learner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:55 AM   #33
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

I had a 98% hatch with the cohos just 3 weeks ago. I did snap a few pics of the aelvin stage and they are now already considered fry. they havent eaten yet so they must still be living off their yolk's energy supply. Ill post some new pics soon!
Old 01-28-2014, 03:24 PM   #34
DTDPlanted
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learner View Post
I had a 98% hatch with the cohos just 3 weeks ago. I did snap a few pics of the aelvin stage and they are now already considered fry. they havent eaten yet so they must still be living off their yolk's energy supply. Ill post some new pics soon!
Sweet waiting for pics!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
DTDPlanted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:04 PM   #35
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

This is an awesome post! Thank you for sharing this with us, I am going to be checking back often to see updates!
aquarist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:49 PM   #36
Phil Edwards
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

What a great tank Learner! Back in 1989, when I was a wee 8th grader one of the science teachers did a class on Salmonids and we raised a batch of eggs from University of Washington for release into a local stream. That's still one of my favorite classes ever. Glad to see someone else is doing something similar.

Cheers,
Phil
Phil Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:51 AM   #37
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks you guys! I sure appreciate the support. I finally finished up my desert viv and can now rest a bit...........been going tank crazy. Too many water changes and battles with algae. This tank has been a nice change of pace. No plants to worry about and only minor WC's. Luckily I can easily chill the water off by leaving it outside for a bit during this time of year.

The fry are eating but not ravenously at all like I expected. I had two members with a genetic defect causing them to stay in a whorled shape while developing into the aelvin phase of metamorphosis. I have been told it is not chronic whorling disease which is good. I had 11 eggs not hatch and the rest seem to be doing fine. I managed to cover up about 25 aelvin while doing a gravel vac last week and used about 50 or so fry for a teratogen experiment with my kids. That now leaves a good number of fish that this particular tank can support without being way over crowded. I have a few kids doing an independednt research project on fertilizer runoff and they will need 20 or so smolt to test. That should leave 100 smolt for my favorite little stream! Hope I can catch one in the years to come. Been thinking of clipping the tip of their caudal fin as a marking so I'll know if they make it to adult............ reseach suggests that at least 1 of them should
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0830.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	268713  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0833.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	268721  

Old 02-02-2014, 03:42 PM   #38
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (128/100%)

What? No tagging?

Looks like a fun project, dude!
Old 03-08-2014, 02:57 AM   #39
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

Operation "personal fishery" was a complete failure. 100% mortality in the outdoor rearing habitat. I tried to prep the smolt for release and we had a cold snap that killed em dead. lesson learned. the remaining test subjects are surviving and will hopefully grow fast. I want them as large as possible before the spring release. pics if anyones interested
Old 03-08-2014, 02:58 AM   #40
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
What? No tagging?

Looks like a fun project, dude!
been fun but the WCs are wearin me out!!!
Old 03-08-2014, 03:09 AM   #41
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learner View Post
been fun but the WCs are wearin me out!!!
You should look into aquaponics, essentailly growing plants with the nitrates in the water, end result: much less water changing, bonus:can grow your own food(veggies/herbs)! Takes a bit of $ to set up but can be done cheaply. I'll be using a pre-exsisting 55 gallon and its canister filter, simply setting up the plant grow area on the output for the canister and let gravity drop it back into the tank.
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:21 PM   #42
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the updates, I'd personally love to see more picture and I am sure other member would as well. I think what you are doing with the salmon is fascinating and it is definitely different from what everyone else has. Thanks again for taking the time to share this with us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 03-08-2014, 11:28 PM   #43
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarist View Post
Thanks for the updates, I'd personally love to see more picture and I am sure other member would as well. I think what you are doing with the salmon is fascinating and it is definitely different from what everyone else has. Thanks again for taking the time to share this with us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
of course..........thanks for staying tuned!! i had spiking nitrite levels in the tank for over a week and seriously hindered the health of the remaining salmon smolt. most died of complications with the high nitrite during the fry/smolt development . nature often has tight parameters when systems breakdown. my last few: the dirty dozen, are now stabilizing well and will be ready to go in 2 months! i'll send pics this week...............the tank has been gutted
Old 03-08-2014, 11:30 PM   #44
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

Oh man sorry to hear about the problems with the salmon tank! Do you think you will try and grow them again next year? Also can't wait to see picture of the "dirty dozen" =D
Old 03-10-2014, 02:21 AM   #45
limz_777
Planted Member

quite surprised it hatch just laying there , did any eggs get fungus attack?
limz_777 is offline   Reply With Quote