Hyzer's 40G Breeder - Dutch - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-09-2014, 04:04 AM   #76
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

The good: I'm getting healthy growth because I'm blasting this tank with tons of CO2 and dosing strict EI now. I also have a new inhabitant: the mystery fish from my 29g. I also like my new light cycle. I actually switched to using the Aquaflora bulb in the middle slot because it compliments this tank the best.
The bad: There is a bit of hair algae. Could be worse.
The ugly: I still have a lot to learn about Dutch style scapes. I think I will try the round bush style next and plant them a couple inches away from each other. The color contrast in this current setup is also a problem. It's nice looking at healthy plants, but all put together it just doesn't quite do it for me.

Mystery fish:
Hyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2014, 04:06 AM   #77
The Trigger
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Beautiful tank hyzer!
Old 02-09-2014, 02:11 PM   #78
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

That's a great looking tank you have there! That's a nice mystery fish!

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:02 PM   #79
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I think it looks great. One of the key components of pruning is defining groups. You might want to just start there.
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:23 PM   #80
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the encouragement Trigger and GM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceF View Post
I think it looks great. One of the key components of pruning is defining groups. You might want to just start there.
Agreed. With the exception of a few new plants, its current state is the result of my first trim after planting fresh tops. I pretty much just trimmed everything at the same height and angle. After most of these stems reach the surface, I'm going to trim once more at different heights to see what that does. Because these groups are so close together, my concern is that the taller rear bunches will shade those around it. This doesn't take in to account the growth rate of the weedy Star Grass. I guess it could use some shade.

Since I've been posting about bulb selection with my new light cycle, I thought I would share the difference between the morning + evening single bulb and mid day double bulbs. Both have their perks. Sorry if the pics are a bit dark.

Giesemann Aquaflora x1 - exposure 1/80 sec. , f/5.3

Giesemann Mid Day x1 + Zoo Med Flora Sun x1 - exposure 1/80 sec. , f/5.3
Old 02-27-2014, 11:37 AM   #81
Cyanider
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Very informative journal.. and beautiful plants! How are you liking the bulb setup in your 3xT5HO fixture? I have the same fixture from Catalina minus the arms and the moonlights over a 46bf. I'm due for new bulbs and am wondering if you like the 10,000k + neutral + pinkish bulb combo. I'm currently doing 6500k on the outers and a pink bulb on the inner slot, but I'm due for new bulbs and am considering trying a different bulb combination.
Cyanider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:38 AM   #82
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanider View Post
Very informative journal.. and beautiful plants! How are you liking the bulb setup in your 3xT5HO fixture? I have the same fixture from Catalina minus the arms and the moonlights over a 46bf. I'm due for new bulbs and am wondering if you like the 10,000k + neutral + pinkish bulb combo. I'm currently doing 6500k on the outers and a pink bulb on the inner slot, but I'm due for new bulbs and am considering trying a different bulb combination.
For a tank with emphasis on color, my opinion is that it doesn't get any better than Giesemann Aquaflora + Giesemann Midday. I ditched the 10k because even when combined with the Zoo Med pink bulb things just looked bleached out.

I ended up with this lighting after trying all combinations:
2 hrs Aqualfora
2 hrs Midday + Zoo Med pink
1 hr Aquaflora + Midday + Zoo Med pink
2 hrs Midday + Zoo Med pink
2 hrs Aqualfora

At first I thought the Aquaflora bulb was just a pink bulb but there really is a difference between it and the Zoo Med.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #83
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's a challenge to not mess around with this tank but I would like to grow everything in the back row to the surface before meddling again. I think its last trim was mid February.

I temporarily planted some new species wherever there was room. I'm going to see how they grow then find a better spot if they like my tank. This only contributes to the cluttered look.

Eventually I will live up to the "dutch" in my title. I'll post a pic before my next trim/arrangement.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:26 AM   #84
boxboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Awesome tank! Caint wait to see some new photos.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:32 PM   #85
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxboy View Post
Awesome tank! Caint wait to see some new photos.
Thanks! I trimmed the tops off and rearranged last week. I'll hopefully have some time this weekend to take and post some pics.

I'm really liking the added support and cover on the stand. I only have one coat of black stain on there because I didn't want to stink up the place with family visiting. One thing I'd like to improve is the way I mount the front panel on. There must be a way to make locking it in to place on all four corners easier while still keeping it sturdy. Right now it is a bit tedious aligning each bolt.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:38 PM   #86
boxboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyzer View Post
Thanks! I trimmed the tops off and rearranged last week. I'll hopefully have some time this weekend to take and post some pics.

I'm really liking the added support and cover on the stand. I only have one coat of black stain on there because I didn't want to stink up the place with family visiting. One thing I'd like to improve is the way I mount the front panel on. There must be a way to make locking it in to place on all four corners easier while still keeping it sturdy. Right now it is a bit tedious aligning each bolt.
Something like this maybe http://m.wikihow.com/Strengthen-Self-Adhesive-Hooks
if you want lockable this will work, but you would need 2 atleast, one in each corner and it would take a while to unlock it.. http://www.highlyusa.com/pics/c1091a.jpg

Last edited by boxboy; 03-28-2014 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: edit
boxboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:06 PM   #87
boxboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

How many lbs is your Co2 tank?
Old 04-01-2014, 02:34 AM   #88
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Something like this maybe http://m.wikihow.com/Strengthen-Self-Adhesive-Hooks
if you want lockable this will work, but you would need 2 atleast, one in each corner and it would take a while to unlock it.. http://www.highlyusa.com/pics/c1091a.jpg
That second link got me wondering. It would be a bit clunky looking though. Maybe a smaller version that doesn't lock.

Quote:
How many lbs is your Co2 tank?
10lbs. Just enough height for that and a big regulator.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:25 AM   #89
tetra10
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

hows the hair algae situation going?
tetra10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:35 PM   #90
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra10 View Post
hows the hair algae situation going?
There's just a strand here and there. I found the best way to remove it is twisting it on a toothbrush. It's not growing on my HC anymore so it doesn't really bother me.