Mini 20 gallon Betta Pond - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 02-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #16
annyann
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I was wondering what type heaters you used over the winter? Thanks!

Old 02-16-2014, 01:26 AM   #17
hryder77
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by annyann View Post
I was wondering what type heaters you used over the winter? Thanks!
I normally only need a 100 watt heater (Petco brand). On cold nights if there's a freeze warning or something I'll throw in a 50 watt heater to help it out.

I only had one instance were the (cheap dollar store) power strip short circuited and turned the heater off over night. dipped down to 60 :0! (all inhabitants were fine including the bettas.) But I swapped out that cheap power cord added an outdoor heavy duty power strip, cut out a door on the side of a plastic container, placed it over the the power strip for extra protection, and have been keeping an eye on it ever since. So far so good.

In the summer I turn the heater all the way down and put it on a timer to turn on at dusk and off at dawn. never need to run the heater during the day in the summer.
pretty much the only techy thing I need to keep an eye on.
hryder77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:35 AM   #18
annyann
Planted Member

Okay thanks.
I was at Lowe's today and looked at the in ground ponds. I'm not sure if I want to go that route or a large planter type deal that can sit on the patio like you have. I really like the look of your mini pond, and it seems like it would be easier to maintain. Lowe's didn't have any planters that would work, I need to check Home Depot.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:38 PM   #19
redfox
Algae Grower

I really really love this!
redfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:33 AM   #20
hryder77
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by annyann View Post
Okay thanks.
I was at Lowe's today and looked at the in ground ponds. I'm not sure if I want to go that route or a large planter type deal that can sit on the patio like you have. I really like the look of your mini pond, and it seems like it would be easier to maintain. Lowe's didn't have any planters that would work, I need to check Home Depot.
If you haven't found anything yet try a craft store like Michaels or hobby lobby
Old 03-05-2014, 04:46 PM   #21
xjasminex
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

Your pond is cute =]

I live in NY and cant have one....but i live vicariously through others on here that can.

Walmart is also a good place to check, they have nice large planters without holes, i think mine even have them right now too.

I bought one for my DIY upflow biofilter that i use on my goldfish tank. Its stylish and works well.
xjasminex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:42 AM   #22
bassistjon112
Algae Grower

Hello from nano-reef, I really like your planted stuff. This pond is some thing Ive been want to do. I can't do one inside though because of the cats and out side areas get to sun plus winters. I have planted tanks as well. Having algae issues in my 15g planted, i think the soil is the root of the problem.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:41 AM   #23
hryder77
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassistjon112 View Post
Hello from nano-reef, I really like your planted stuff. This pond is some thing Ive been want to do. I can't do one inside though because of the cats and out side areas get to sun plus winters. I have planted tanks as well. Having algae issues in my 15g planted, i think the soil is the root of the problem.
Hi bassistjon112,

thanks for checking out my pond!

I guess it would be pretty hard to do a pond in New York, snow and all...

But in regards to your algae woes I noticed your plants are establishing. Try trowing in some floaters to suck up excess nutrients. What algae are you battling?
Old 06-09-2014, 12:18 AM   #24
hryder77
Algae Grower

Talking Long overdo update!

Wow its been a minute since I updated this thread!

Not a whole lot has changed in the pond. I moved it from our yard to the front door. spruced it up a bit even

I gave away all the females to fellow hobyists. It seems in their older age they just couldn't get along even after being raised together for 3 years. Bettas are tricky like that. having raised females in sororities for years their much like humans, sometimes they just drift apart, no pun intended.

So now a lone male, two white clouds, a lone juvenile CPD, and several ramshorn snails are the only residents of this pond.

The poor little CPD came on some plant trimmings from my 10G display tank I threw in the pond. Ironically non of the CPD fry have survived in my display but this little guys been thriving and shoaling with the white clouds since I spotted him. I was planning on catching him a adding him to my display but he seems so at home and happy with his adopted family hehe.

The pond has easily become an excellent grow out tank. It's also been the most stable setup I have. no algae, no bacteria blooms, just good old natural filtration.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:33 AM   #25
Little Soprano
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Beautiful!!
Little Soprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:00 AM   #26
Nestle_
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

love this, great idea.
as I keep my betta girls together I love them more and more. easily the best thing for a setup. screw all the other messy setups and hostile setups. betta females are great together in a planted setup. not as evil as portrayed by everyone.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:14 PM   #27
hryder77
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestle_ View Post
love this, great idea.
as I keep my betta girls together I love them more and more. easily the best thing for a setup. screw all the other messy setups and hostile setups. betta females are great together in a planted setup. not as evil as portrayed by everyone.
thank you!

yeah I had a great time raising this sorority, females have allot of personality and spirit. I love males too but they are often too shy for groups. I've had one success raising a male in a sorority but only because the dominate female was much larger than him.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:50 AM   #28
bassistjon112
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by hryder77 View Post
Hi bassistjon112,

thanks for checking out my pond!

I guess it would be pretty hard to do a pond in New York, snow and all...

But in regards to your algae woes I noticed your plants are establishing. Try trowing in some floaters to suck up excess nutrients. What algae are you battling?
I'm actually digging a pond in my yard now.

Ive got blue green cyano and some hair algae, I plan on just changing my substrate in the next month or two. I think that will solve my problems. The tank link in my signature is my 8g which doesnt have algae problems.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:15 AM   #29
hryder77
Algae Grower

Default new layout and substrate...sorta

I haven't changed allot since the last update. I did add a solar fountain to keep bugs from landing on the water during the day.

[IMG][/IMG]

I also re-arranged the plants to cover the fountain and the back filter. The in tank filter gets clogged up with crap really easy.

oh plus i added white Petco sand as a top layer. Makes it easier to see the fish and plants. also holds them down better.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][URL=http://s275.photobucket.com/user/greenmonkeyproductions/media/DSC_0152.jpg.html]
[IMG][/IMG]
I've added a couple almond leaves. The Bettas been pretty frisky since then hehe, but it mostly calms him down kinda like green tea for us ponds gone blackwater for now.

It's tannin for the summer!

(hahaha wow that was corny )

Tags
betta, low tech plants, mystery snail, pond