My Ground-Truthing Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-19-2004, 10:53 PM   #1
Splash
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

OK. Here is my rather modest 29-gal aquarium, which is slowly evolving into a planted "test tank." Notice how I have subtlely taken the photo from so far away that you can hardly see the bba I am currently battling. Upfront is my lone SAE, who has gotten too fat and lazy to bother eating algae any more. He would much rather suck up bits of flake food strewn about by my rainbowfish.
29 gal planted tank, 30" FW Aqualights w/ 1x 65W 6700K CF & 1x 55W 9325K CF, 20-lb CO2 w/ Milwaukee SMS122 controller, reverse-flow UGF (bah!), gravel substrate (also bah!), 4 Praecox, 3 Ottocats, 1 SAE, 1 Bristlenose cat, 2-3 C. japonica, 5 Red Cherry Shrimp, & too many detestable pond snails!!!
Splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2004, 11:03 PM   #2
rumples riot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hey, we all started somewhere. Tank looks alright but you need to get a couple more Siamensis in there, maybe three more. When you have lots of them they get struck into what they are meant to do.

Whats all your stats. BBA can sometimes be caused from not enough light. So tell us all your stats and then we can help with removing the algae.

Paul
Eheim Pimp Club member #3: Scribe to the Eheim Pimp Club

90 gallon, CO2 dupla injection, Dupla substrate heating, Dupla Laterite with iron stone substrate, Aquastarlight future 3 x 150 metal Halides, Eheim 2026 pro2's and heavily planted with Discus
rumples riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 11:06 PM   #3
rumples riot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ahh sorry did not read your foot notes. You have lots of light, but an UGF, get rid of this. You need more plants, and have you got CO2?

Paul

90 gallon, CO2 dupla injection, Dupla substrate heating, Dupla Laterite with iron stone substrate, Aquastarlight future 3 x 150 metal Halides, Eheim 2026 pro2's and heavily planted with Discus
Old 03-19-2004, 11:14 PM   #4
Splash
Planted Member

Yep...recently got CO2. Getting very good plant growth now, with pearling. Watching the PO4 and fertilizing with NO3, iron, K, and Dulpa 24 drops for traces. I think it's just a matter of time before I get control of the bba; it was much worse before I finally got the CO2 and better lights. Once I can demonstrate to myself that I can get this to work, I'll get a larger tank and go whole hog, with good substrate, a nice canister filter, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumples riot
Ahh sorry did not read your foot notes. You have lots of light, but an UGF, get rid of this. You need more plants, and have you got CO2?

Paul
29 gal planted tank, 30" FW Aqualights w/ 1x 65W 6700K CF & 1x 55W 9325K CF, 20-lb CO2 w/ Milwaukee SMS122 controller, reverse-flow UGF (bah!), gravel substrate (also bah!), 4 Praecox, 3 Ottocats, 1 SAE, 1 Bristlenose cat, 2-3 C. japonica, 5 Red Cherry Shrimp, & too many detestable pond snails!!!
Old 03-20-2004, 04:14 AM   #5
rumples riot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well you have got everything you need, and if you had the BBA before your recent upgrade, it should disappear in no time, well maybe a month or so.

Good luck with it all.

Paul

Old 03-20-2004, 07:25 PM   #6
mad about fish
Algae Grower

try changing to a plain black background it shows off your plants better
mad about fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 05:34 PM   #7
Splash
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad about fish
try changing to a plain black background it shows off your plants better
:lol:

Actually, that's a good idea. I haven't worried too much yet about "looks," as I am still working on technique. Prior to upgrading my lights, adding CO2, and watching the nutrients, all I managed to keep was slowly dying plants and troublesome algae. Now, plant growth is greatly improved and the algae is slowly dieing back, even the dreaded bba! Once I'm certain I've developed the needed "knack" for a keeping a REAL planted tank, then I'll consider putting in more effort and $$$ to the hobby.